Need help understanding your bill?
davidvsgoliath's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Thursday, November 6th, 2014 3:46 AM

Closed

Formal Complaints to the FCC

I wish to file a formal complaint against AT&T, for their billing practices, and lack of accountability.  Has anyone had success doing this, and if so, could you provide some insight into the best way to concisely file a complaint?  I honestly feel AT&T has gottten too big to address any issue.  It is really hit or miss when calling customer service, or billing, and hang-ups are routine.  I went to the local AT&T store this evening, out of total frustration, and they hung up on their own associate twice.  I provided my AT&T statement, and two bank statements.  The associate could see why I was upset, and spent over an hour trying to help.  It's beyond ridiculous.  So far they have managed to have $125 in bank fees charged to a checking account I am unable to close, because they are charging payments to it, without my permission.  They backed out a payment, over a month after it was paid, caused another fee, then suspended my account for non-payment.  It's nuts.  Thanks to all for any and all help.  I'm ready to organize a boycott at this point.  The word customer seems foreign to them  -- which makes sense in retrospect, as it appears they outsource their billing.   

Tutor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I would like to formally complain to the FCC and I plan of filing a complain tomorrow - ATT continues to have dishonest billing practices, no accountability, and lack of customer support.  I dread calling ATT customer service because of the run around, because nothing ever gets resolved, even after 6 or 7 calls regarding the same issue.  Customer service plays stupid and calls are anger producing because there is no resolution.  I actually think ATT has devised a scheme to steal more of my money by hiring people in a call center in another country who don't really care and probably think this is a joke.  Im done.  Verizon, here I come.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

I didn’t read all replies and I don’t know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but you can file an “informal” ((not formal) complaint, that ATT has 30 days to answer copying FCC, thru FCCs website:

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

I hope it helps. I’ve also filled a complaint and I’m looking forward for a solution to the ridiculous problem I’m facing with ATT.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Findlay2017 wrote:

ATT UVERSE has violated our contract stipulating that Customers were to have 4 Local channels

You posted on the wireless board, but the answer is the same. You have no such contract. Channel lineups can change at any time. Additionally, WUPW's parent company could provide the channel to AT&T free of charge, and AT&T would have to carry it. 

If you aren't able to get that channel with an OTA antenna, and it's that important to you, talk with your money and go somewhere besides Uverse or Direct TV.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I am a retired Navy Chaplain and thought AT&T offered a great deal so I signed up for wireless internet, phone and Direct TV.  Actually, I called requested Uverse service only to be told that was not an option and that Direct TV would be.  The installer came at the appointed time to install the dish only to find out that wireless internet will come later, maybe, did I arrange for it or was someone supposed to notify me?  I called AT&T only to find out an upgrade to internet speed could not be upgraded and I would need to arrange for an internet service...could not even get 25 mbps, which is what I was told.  I informed AT&T I was going to cancel ALL services.  I talked to an Account Manager by the name of Adrena, San Antonio office, who would pass the message on to Account Manager for Kristin who set up everything for me.  I later, same day, called and talked to Charlie (on 1/2/2018 at 11:19am) informing him I needed to talk to someone in Loyalty Office as I lost connection after being transferred by previous Manager, Adrena.  Charlie told me he was an Account Manager who also worked in the Loyalty Office.  He told me not to worry and that my AT&T wireless phone service would be cancelled.  All I needed to do was return the SIM cards as soon as I receive them.  I did via Global Post.  Now I receive an email regarding bill I will need to pay.  I bet they will be unhappy when they try to use my card number to pay for bill.  Regardless, I REGRET even entertaining the idea of leaving my current cable and internet service.  AT&T is SOOOO FRAGMENTED that AT&T is a TOTAL NIGHTMARE.  Be prepared to spend hours on the phone trying to resolve issues.  AT&T, if you can hear me, please respond as I am not convinced my wireless phone service was cancelled.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

What did you end up doing and what happened - here is just a small portion of what I have been thru - I must have hundreds of hours spent on the phone with them.

Had a Direct TV with internet and phone service package - A nightmare from day 1.  Though we loved the Direct TV portion and it worked great anything that was AT&T did not.  The problems started with the billing - in almost 2 years it was never right.  We finally moved to France in desperation to get away from them - haha just joking, but yes we moved to France - called to transfer service which they said they could not do which let me out of the contract (we made certain of this prior to signing).  The nice young man also told me that I did not have to return the equipment since I was selling the house and that the next people could sign up, if they didn't then at that time the equipment would need to be sent back.  Well it just didn't seem right so called again and sure enough the equipment needed to be sent back, this was done - I then started getting overdue notices.  I am now living in France, called them and first thing out of the guys mouth is - "you still have to pay, you signed a contract" said no problem when can you install it? (couldn't resist playing with him a bit) What is your new address - I rattle off the address in France, he says where is that?  Hello, please read the notes which say I live in France and do not have to pay for contract since no service offered.  He tells me just ignore the overdue notices it might take us a few months before we match up everything.  WHAT??  You can see I have disconnected, that I moved, that I returned the equipment, so why are you billing me?  Two months later I get notice saying they are disconnecting my service...REALLY???  So tried to use the on line chat, phone calls back are expensive, and service isn't that great where we are in the countryside now.  On line says that my account is in collections and that I need to call them, why is my account in collections if I don't owe you anything and in fact YOU owe me money because I was paid ahead.  Over and over again was told sorry we cannot see anything about your account, but would you like to make a payment?  WHAT???  Again I explain that I am in France and cannot call, give me an e-mail to collections or a supervisor or someone - no can do you have to call.  Ask why do I have to call to tell YOU that I don't owe you money, that you owe me money and why on earth do you send me to collections when all you had to do was read the notes on my account and see why I am not paying and why I do not owe.  By this time I am frustrated, I have spent so many hours on the phone with them, get transferred so much the transmission on the line is too low to be heard, a normal phone call is 2 - 4 hours - you all know the routine, explain what you need to person 1 who tells you sorry wrong department, who transfers you, start again, get told again, get transferred again.  Sometimes you get a person who can handle one of your problems, ie billing, no internet, no phone lines transferred, installation, appt setting for  VOIP line and land line (whole other company, can't even be transferred) I have a whole notebook on who I talked to supervisors, ID numbers and all the different phone numbers they have given me.  Our internet didn't work for 4 months, usually 1.0 mbp, dialup was faster - they brought new numbers instead of transferring my numbers, even though not installed, they charged me for 3 months, never got money back, by the time I saw this it was more than 3 months later and if you don't find our mistake, we only can go back the last 3 mo.  WHAT???  You make a mistake but I have to pay for it if I don't find it in time???  yup, they kept telling me that my current phone company was not releasing my lines - no requests received - back and forth - finally one day someone mentioned a company and I said that is not my company - oh they own your company - back to my company - we are not owned by anyone and we do not own that company either.  It took 3 1/2 months so many reps and 5 supervisors before I could convince them that they were requesting from the wrong company.  So after all this and so much more, I have to move out of the country to get away from AT&T and I still can't get rid of them.  Is there a class action law suit out there - for stupidity?  For the most mistakes made by one company?  To reimburse users for the time they waste for service they don't provide?  if they put a past due record on my credit report, when I owe them nothing I will go ballistic!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

if u go down to an at&t store and show any anger they will call the police ive got a 119.00 bill on my credit and i finally said screw it seven years sounds better than going insane

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I have dirct tv and I cancelled my account because they could not offer the discounts any longer.  My account was set for disconnect then the retention team called and offered me a good deal so I told them fine I would allow them to re connect my account then now charged me the wrong amount and said I didn't disconnect in a timely mannor hello yes I did its noted in several calls and chats I disconnected by December the 3rd and reconncected on the 4th. Now they charged me more than I owe caused my account to be overdrawn and they still have not fixed the problem they change it from person to person and still have not fixed the problem I spoke to a supervisor last week and was suposed to have the payment reversed and would take up to 10 days now they telling me that was not set up .How does it go from a supervisor fixing it to back to having to explain the situation over and over and over again so I am trying this if this doesnt work I will go the legal way.  I can't afford overdraft fees and being charged what I don't owe.  They keep shuffling me around thinking I will give up when that is not the case I will not and nobody should be charged what they don't owe.  I went threw this last year they told me I didnt notify in a timely mannor so this time I called 1 week before the new billing cycle and they are jacking me around still. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN THIS TIME NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Here is the major problem - you cannot take legal action against them, I
kept wondering why with the million or so complaints against them no smart
lawyer was doing a nice big fat fee class action against them - because when
you sign up, buried in all the very, very fine print, there is an item
saying you can't take them to court or sue them, that you have to use
arbitration. Out of something like 18 million customers, they have had only
a couple hundred people go to arbitration. It will be two years in April
and my bill has not been correct even once.

To me it is time for the govt. to step in and step up to protect people from
them, their 3rd party sellers that they hire and then denounce when you ask
for the price given - well they don't work directly for us, we cannot honor
that price. I didn't take it either, I wrote to the president of Direct TV
in Colorado, had a reply back quite quickly and he fixed a lot, the problems
were on going. If I were you I would record all phone calls, no matter
what, they tell you that they will record you when you are still on hold, do
the same thing, while the phone is ringing or while on the many holds and
transfers say this phone call is being recorded for my protection against
the erroneous information give me time and time again by AT&T. I feel so
bad for the Direct people, they try at least, but AT&T side does the
billing. We loved the direct TV but anything that had the AT&T name on it
was wrong, wrong, wrong, I'm telling you I had to have spent 15 to 20 hours
some weeks on the phone with them when our internet would not work for 4
months and when the billing was so out of whack, billing for 2 lines that I
never had installed, having to call every other day to check on the lines
that were supposed have been ported over but they requested from the wrong
company for 4 months - this was a computer glitch - they I think thought it
was the right company, but they do this over the computer and I think
someone programmed the company info in wrong. But why did I figure this
out, why didn't they figure it out or...god forbid why didn't they actually
pick up the phone and call my company like I did many times. Nope still no
request to move your lines to AT&T.

They are beyond help, they are so big one department to another has no idea
what the other department is doing. And makes no sense why the Direct side
cannot see the AT&T side and vice versus - they are broken and I see no fix
anytime soon. Good luck, you might hear me screaming from France if they
put something on my pristine credit report for disconnected service. lol

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

They are always trying to rip us off, this time the Store Guy told me I would have free TV with BOGO deal, but my first bill was $80 for non activated service and today they came and fixed it, after finding out that my ongoing bill is gonna be 35$ for Dead beat Family pack which has nothing on it to at least get news Chanels they want 20 more. I canceled the U-verse  and agreed to pay for the second phone too, on top of that now they want 250 $ more for early termination. The Person who canceled my service confirmed that I won't have to pay that. I demand my last bill back because I had no service on U-verse. 

Confirmation Code  [Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Unfortunately after doing research have found out that one cannot sue AT&T
they have a tiny print arbitration clause tucked in somewhere that we all
agreed to when signing up - sooner, though most likely later the govt. might
step in and do something about the mass horrors this company has become.

I am still getting overdue bills from them now over 4 months later. Beyond
ridiculous that we pay for such incredible frustration and wasting of time.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.