Need help understanding your bill?
zackerydot's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, January 29th, 2013 3:00 PM

First bill $297.38 for 2 lines

I got an iphone 4s for my teenager son on Dec. 24, 2012, and changed my individual plan to MOBILESHR 1GB UNLTT, which is the lowest cost family plan.  

I then upgraded my dinosaur iphone 3gs to iphone 4s on Dec. 26,  2012.

My first bill for Dec. 24, 2012 to Jan. 23, 2013 is $297.38.

My son's new line has a charge of $224.77.

I have been closely monitoring our usage, so we have not overused our plan, except a couple international text messages which I sent by accident.

It seems they charge 2 months for the new line. But I don't completely understand their bill.  Can anyone confirm?  Thanks!

By the way, I do understand that I have 2 x $36.00 one time activation fees.

If I have to pay $297.38 per month, I definitely cannot afford it.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Yes the first bill will always be higher, than subsequent billings from that point on wards.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Your first bill shows a Pro-rated billing of all charges from the date of activation, to the end date of billing. It also includes a month in advance for services (beginning date of billing, to end date of billing). Everyone from ISP's, catv to cellular companies, including server hosting companies do the same kind of billing.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

It has always beesn that way. You are billed for the package in advance, but if you go over say a data or talk package, that overage is showen on the next bill, as overages during the billing cycle.

It actually works out nicely, because you know already what your base price is, before any overages or extra charges are attached on the next bill.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you. I called ATT customer service and was told that we always pay in advance. It doesn't sound true to me. Because if I overused in the past with my individual plan, I paid more than my regular monthly charge.  That sounds to me like a pay-after instead of pay-in-advance.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

@gregzoll_1 wrote:
Your first bill shows a Pro-rated billing of all charges from the date of activation, to the end date of billing. It also includes a month in advance for services (beginning date of billing, to end date of billing). Everyone from ISP's, catv to cellular companies, including server hosting companies do the same kind of billing.

Yes, that's what I was told. I still don't quite understand why they bill in advance. I was told that my next bill will be around 130 bucks if I don't overuse.  So, they are overcharging me for an extra month!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I start to understand now.  So my regular monthly charge was 80 bucks or so for my previous individual plan, if an ATT text response to *BAL# says my current balance is 120, ATT is really saying 

1. Your regular monthly charge is 80 for the upcoming month.

2. You overused during the last month, which is 40 bucks. 

3. Therefore your current bill for the upcoming month is 80 + 40 bucks.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

That would be correct.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.