Need help understanding your bill?
Gibsongoof's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, July 24th, 2013 11:27 PM

Fees not communicated

I have been an AT&T wireless customer for over two years now, and have been generally pleased with the service I have received. I have been so pleased that I recently added my fiancée to a family plan with AT&T. We went to the store in Willow Grove Park mall in PA. When we purchased her phone, we were not informed of any activation fees, or fees for adding phones to the new plan. So when I received a bill over $100 more than what I expected, I was shocked. I was not informed of any activation fees, or one time $40 fees for adding phones to the new plan, including the phone that was currently on AT&T's service. I was not able to easily view the fees on the AT&T wireless website, and the only way I could find out about them was a 20 minute phone call to customer service. They were able to reverse the activation fee on the new phone, but I am still left paying $80 in fees I was not informed about. As a couple getting married in two months, every penny counts to us, and $80 is a lot of pennies! Again, these fees were not communicated to us at the store. Like I said, I have for the most part had a good experience with AT&T, but having to pay $80 in fees that were not communicated hardly seems fair or right to me. As someone in client service myself, I know what good service means to a company, and I am severely disappointed. 

Thank you in advance for your response. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

It sounds like you are on the Mobile Share plan with 4GB of data and two smartphones.  That means that those $40 fees for the phones are not one time fees, but are the monthly device fees for the plan.  So your monthly bill would be $150 ($70+$40+$40) plus taxes and fees.

Former Employee

• 

82 Messages

11 years ago

Was the store you went too an Authorized Retailer or a Company Owned Retail location?

When you signed the two year contract, you should have recieved a Customer Service Summary detailing all of that which you agreeded to by signing the contract. The first bill always included activation fees, and proration and is always a little bit higher.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@JoshuaMiller wrote:

Was the store you went too an Authorized Retailer or a Company Owned Retail location?

When you signed the two year contract, you should have recieved a Customer Service Summary detailing all of that which you agreeded to by signing the contract. The first bill always included activation fees, and proration and is always a little bit higher.

If I recall right the 36.00 activation fee is also documented on the receipt  - at least it was on my last upgrade

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

11 years ago

Hello Gibsongoof, thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry your bill is higher that you expected. You said your activation fee was reversed, that's good news. I'm not sure what the "$40 one time fee for adding phones" is, what exactly does it say next to it on your bill? What plan do you have and how many phones total?

Dmitriy.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Ace21 - that's exactly it! Now it makes sense. Because the second phone was added in the middle of a cycle, that is why I got hit so hard with the fees. (Although my wallet still does not feel any better! Ugh.)

Dimitry - When I spoke with a customer service rep after calling 611, I specifically asked if the $40 were a one time fee for adding the devices for a plan, and his answer was yes. That is why I was both upset and confused. He must have thought I was asking a different question.

I think had the rep at the company owned store mentioned that it was mid cycle, and that will affect my first bill on the heavy side, I may have been more prepared for it. I would suggest to AT&T better communication to customers in that regard, so that we don't get sticker shock like I did. That would have gone a very long way for me, and not left me so angry.

Thank you folks, for your feedback.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

11 years ago

Hello Gibsongoof, I'm glad that 21stNow was able to clarify those charges for you (Thanks 21stNow). I apologize they weren't communicated to you properly and that it caused you confusion and frustration in first place. It does sound that the rep on the phone was talking about the activation fee, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding on our part. I appreciate your feedback and I will forward it to the store manager to ensure the issue is corrected and everyone's experience is smooth in the future.

Thanks again,

Dmitriy.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

You're welcome.  I'm glad that you've got everything straight now and hopefully, there won't be anymore unpleasant surprises.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.