For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
JDD1107's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, November 24th, 2014 11:01 PM

Fed up with AT&T!

I'm just looking to see if anybody else has a solution before i go a switch to another carrier.

So my family and I (5 of us) upgraded our phones at the end of our 2 year contract like we always do in September.  all of us upgraded to the IPhone 6.  Well what we were paying per month has officially doubled from $160ish to $320!  I have called 3 times now and i got the run around the first 2 times. each answer was never the same.  when i spoke to the supervisor the 3rd time he told me the i should have chose the NEXT instead of the 2 year plan (which i have always done the 2 year plan for the last 8 years and got the phone at the rate i always do $200 that is). NEXT keeps my plan the same but full price for the phone and 2 year is cheaper phone but higher plan.  He said that it gave me that option at the time of upgrade. well guess what IT DIDN'T!! and i told him that along with the other 2 times i have talked to someone. my sister and i both know we didn't have this option cause we both looked. It was actually quite simple. are you eligible for an upgrade? Yes. would you like to use your upgrade? Yes. Then we bought the phone.  So at this point im still calm and told the supervisor im not gonna start yelling cause i know its not his fault directly but 320 a month is not gonna work.  We would like our old plan back and this the only option or else i have to switch to Sprint Or Verzion in which both of them are much much cheaper then AT&T.  i figured they wouldn't want to lose a 8 year loyal member.  I can honestly say that there was no "warning" of our plan going up like he said.  like i said every 2 years i upgrade my phone for 199 and never does my plan change. now all of a sudden it does.  well the supervisor after what i said HUNG UP ON ME!!  Are you serious?  i have remained calm and not rude this entire time and he goes and hangs up on me.  so i don't want to go through the hassle of switching carriers but i will if i have to.  if there is someone here that can help i would greatly appreciate it.  i just want everything bad to where it was before and ill continue to stay with AT&T

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

The old plan you used to have, that you upgraded every 2 years was the Family Talk plan.  Earlier this year, you chose to switch away from that plan "to save money" seemingly without fully understanding the plan you switched to.  The old plan you had charged you one flat monthly rate for your minutes, and it was the same whether or not you were on contract.  That rate had built into it the extra money for AT&T to recover the $450 they paid for you to get the smartphone at only $200.  Earlier this year, AT&T released the Mobile Share Value Plans and with them, they offer customers a discount on their phone service when they are out of contract (and as a promotion, if your contract was in effect prior to 02/01/2014 you would also get that discount).  When upgrading your phone under the new plan, you can get the discounted phone and pay full price for your service, or you can pay full price for your phone and keep the discounted service rates.  This was spelled out in the Mobile Share Value Plan details, and was even listed as a discount on your monthly bills.  When you signed a new contract, you lost that discount (of up to $25/month for each phone under contract).  If you had read the information when you changed plans, or read your monthly bill, this change should not have come as a surprise to you.  Many people refused to consider the NEXT option because they thought that paying full price for their new phone was "robbery" and then they realized that paying full price for their service costs them even more.  I guess this is an expensive lesson (but not as expensive as a new car or new house purchase) that you should read and understand the terms of any agreement you enter into before you make assumptions.  Assuming that nothing else changed on your cell phone plan when your cost went down was a poor choice on your part.  I know that everyone I knew and spoke with was aware of the impacts of the plan change, and none of us were surprised when we got our new iPhones this year.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.