Need help understanding your bill?
Luanne55's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, December 31st, 2016 9:09 PM

Extremely high data usage

We are at 60+GB used with 10 days to go. My son's phone uses 90% of our total. He and I don't see how it's possible that he has used 54+GB. I have unlimited, so it's not a money matter, but what is going on? Before I changed to unlimited, we stayed close to our limit; only after I changed to unlimited have these insane usage numbers shown up. He works and sleeps, so he isn't on his phone 2/3 of the time. Is there some setting on his phone he needs to change?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

That isn't an answer.  Look at his phone....

open settings.

open cellular data.   It will look something like this...

note on your son's phone the same fields I circled in red.  As well as any app with very high usage.  

IMG_5236.JPGIMG_5237.JPG

2 Attachments

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

The answer is on his phone.  What apps are using all that data?

open settings, data usage...

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

We have I-pho

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Luanne55 wrote:
We have I-pho

In the settings the iPhone will clearly show you which apps are using the most data. 

Answer: With numbers that high it's going to be some kind of video/animations. (Or an insane number of photos). Unless something is broken...

But it may reveal some other usage too, like maybe apps are automatically updating and you'd rather have that done only on WiFi. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

My usage has also gone way up.  Just this month, they have added 2GB and my next billing period is 12 days away.  I went to settings and unchecked those apps I don't use.  Will that help?  Can I check them later if I need to use the app?  I now turn off bluetooth except when I am the car and I close all open apps constantly.  Sometimes I use Pandora but have cut back on that this month and I am still getting huge usage increase.  I use Waze when I drive on long trips, but that is it.  I check my email, facebook, weather channel and some news and sports apps and that is it.  I listen to my downloaded songs but isn't that through wifi?  I have many pictures, could that be a problem and if so, I  will just download them but they have been there before the usage went way up. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@helberta

Whenever you are not home connected to wifi you are using mobile data.  Bluetooth doesn't use data, Pandora in the car does.  

You can turn off your cellular use entirely on the phone or on your account.  

You might also want to check your home wifi by looking at the wifi assist in settings under cellular data.  Does it show use?  If it does, your wifi is not doing its job.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

My wifi assist shows 677 MB.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

On Dec. 25th, I upgrade from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 8+.  I'm on a 3gig plan.  On Dec. 31st. 1am in the morning, while I was sleeping, and my phone was on Wifi, I started getting messages that my Data usage was getting to the limit.  Since I was sleeping, I was unable to check it.  It eventually exceeded my plan, and added 1 gig... and it kept going until 13 gig.  I saw all the messages when I woke up and called Customer Care, I explained to them what was going on.  They said, they can see the usage but are unable to pin point the data spike.  My phone meanwhile is saying that my cellular data usage since Dec. 25 was only 142meg.  Without taking any action, I would have worked up more than $200 worth of data overages @ $15 per Gig.  I'm still trying to working this out with AT&T, but I feel like I've got no support...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

This likely isn't the issue for this user, but if anyone else experiences this problem: After Apple released iOS 11 in Sept 2017, iCloud will upload your photos and videos via cellular data by default, whereas it previously only did so on wifi. 

To prevent this, you have to go to Settings -> Photos -> Cellular Data -> and turn off Cellular Data. We figured this out after a trip we took to Joshua Tree where we took lots of photos and videos and of course didn't have wifi. 

Here's more info: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/06/29/how-to-stop-icloud-photo-library-cellular-data/

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I'm not downloading anything. I listen to Pandora, use Facebook, Messenger and occasionally watch videos. I've never used this much data in such a short period of time.. I usually stay below 2gigs. I have the AT&T AXIA. Any help would be appreciated. Container service dropped my call 4times and refused to call back.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.