Employee Discounts

Contributor

Employee Discounts

I receive a 20%discount on my AT&T bill as an employee of Directv.  I added another family line to my account and want to verify if I can get a discount for that line as well.  So far it has not shown up.

Message 1 of 18 (67,776 Views)
Expert

Re: Employee Discounts


jodiclifford wrote:

I receive a 20%discount on my AT&T bill as an employee of Directv.  I added another family line to my account and want to verify if I can get a discount for that line as well.  So far it has not shown up.



In most cases the discount is only on the primary line and not any of the other lines added, if they have a smartphone data plan the only plan that is eligible for discount is the 5G @ 50.00, no of the other are. I beleive it can also take a couple of billing cycles to get the discount on if the line qualifies

Message 2 of 18 (67,750 Views)
Employee

Re: Employee Discounts

It depends on what type of deal directv has with att also
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 18 (67,733 Views)
Expert

Re: Employee Discounts


JFizDaWiz wrote:
It depends on what type of deal directv has with att also


true, forgot about that little item

Message 4 of 18 (67,733 Views)
Scholar

Re: Employee Discounts

[ Edited ]

wingrider01 wrote:

JFizDaWiz wrote:
It depends on what type of deal directv has with att also


true, forgot about that little item


Especially in light of the fact that your previous comment about the discount only applying to the 5GB is not absolutely correct--I have one unlimited and two 2GB data plans on my lines under my account, and the FAN discount has been--and continues to be--applied to all three data plan lines on my account.  And no I am not mistaking the FAN discount line item applied to my voice service for that of my data plan, in case you might ask.

 

Now it could be possible down the line that this could change but that would be between my company and AT&T...but until then under the terms of my company's FAN contract the discount applies to all smartphone data plans.

Message 5 of 18 (67,620 Views)
Expert

Re: Employee Discounts


anton697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

JFizDaWiz wrote:
It depends on what type of deal directv has with att also


true, forgot about that little item


Especially in light of the fact that your previous comment about the discount only applying to the 5GB is not absolutely correct--I have one unlimited and two 2GB data plans on my lines under my account, and the FAN discount has been--and continues to be--applied to all three data plan lines on my account.  And no I am not mistaking the FAN discount line item applied to my voice service for that of my data plan, in case you might ask.

 

Now it could be possible down the line that this could change but that would be between my company and AT&T...but until then under the terms of my company's FAN contract the discount applies to all smartphone data plans.


you do realize the plans you are speaking of are no longer available right? The 2GB plan you are talking of no longer exists and cannot be obtained, it is a 3GB plan that is not eligible for an employee discount. If your company has a specific contract with att that allows you to obtain the discontinued 2GB plan thne the discount would apply, for the average user off the street that has a simple employee discount this option is not avaialable.

 

Bottom line - of the current data plans only the 5GB plan is eligible, not talking about discontinued plans, the rules where different

Message 6 of 18 (67,616 Views)
Scholar

Re: Employee Discounts


wingrider01 wrote:

anton697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

JFizDaWiz wrote:
It depends on what type of deal directv has with att also


true, forgot about that little item


Especially in light of the fact that your previous comment about the discount only applying to the 5GB is not absolutely correct--I have one unlimited and two 2GB data plans on my lines under my account, and the FAN discount has been--and continues to be--applied to all three data plan lines on my account.  And no I am not mistaking the FAN discount line item applied to my voice service for that of my data plan, in case you might ask.

 

Now it could be possible down the line that this could change but that would be between my company and AT&T...but until then under the terms of my company's FAN contract the discount applies to all smartphone data plans.


you do realize the plans you are speaking of are no longer available right? The 2GB plan you are talking of no longer exists and cannot be obtained, it is a 3GB plan that is not eligible for an employee discount. If your company has a specific contract with att that allows you to obtain the discontinued 2GB plan thne the discount would apply, for the average user off the street that has a simple employee discount this option is not avaialable.

 

Bottom line - of the current data plans only the 5GB plan is eligible, not talking about discontinued plans, the rules where different


Please don't make statements that insinuate that I claimed something as fact/possible--I never stated or implied that I could still/continue to obtain a discontinued data plan and get a FAN discount on it.  And yes I do realize that the unlimited and 2 GB plans are no longer available--after all, you're not the only one in this forum who hasn't been living under a rock for at least the last few years. Smiley Wink

 

And I assume you know for a fact that the 3 GB data plan is not eligible for an employee discount because you somehow have access to each and every single FAN contract that AT&T has on file with each and every single company that has a FAN contract with AT&T?  Since you had claimed in the past that you are not an AT&T employee...you must have quite some pull in order to obtain such information that us mere mortals don't have easy access to.  I mean, seeing how I don't even know which companies do or do not have FANs with AT&T...I wonder how you can make the claim that the 3 GB data plan (absolutely) is not eligible for a employee discount?  Maybe under your FAN it isn't eligible, but to imply that it's not eligible at all?

Message 7 of 18 (67,583 Views)
Employee

Re: Employee Discounts

The 300mb and 3gb data plans do not get FAN discounts. It's documented somewhere I'm too lazy to look it up
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 18 (67,577 Views)
Expert

Re: Employee Discounts


anton697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

anton697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

JFizDaWiz wrote:
It depends on what type of deal directv has with att also


true, forgot about that little item


Especially in light of the fact that your previous comment about the discount only applying to the 5GB is not absolutely correct--I have one unlimited and two 2GB data plans on my lines under my account, and the FAN discount has been--and continues to be--applied to all three data plan lines on my account.  And no I am not mistaking the FAN discount line item applied to my voice service for that of my data plan, in case you might ask.

 

Now it could be possible down the line that this could change but that would be between my company and AT&T...but until then under the terms of my company's FAN contract the discount applies to all smartphone data plans.


you do realize the plans you are speaking of are no longer available right? The 2GB plan you are talking of no longer exists and cannot be obtained, it is a 3GB plan that is not eligible for an employee discount. If your company has a specific contract with att that allows you to obtain the discontinued 2GB plan thne the discount would apply, for the average user off the street that has a simple employee discount this option is not avaialable.

 

Bottom line - of the current data plans only the 5GB plan is eligible, not talking about discontinued plans, the rules where different


Please don't make statements that insinuate that I claimed something as fact/possible--I never stated or implied that I could still/continue to obtain a discontinued data plan and get a FAN discount on it.  And yes I do realize that the unlimited and 2 GB plans are no longer available--after all, you're not the only one in this forum who hasn't been living under a rock for at least the last few years. Smiley Wink

 

And I assume you know for a fact that the 3 GB data plan is not eligible for an employee discount because you somehow have access to each and every single FAN contract that AT&T has on file with each and every single company that has a FAN contract with AT&T?  Since you had claimed in the past that you are not an AT&T employee...you must have quite some pull in order to obtain such information that us mere mortals don't have easy access to.  I mean, seeing how I don't even know which companies do or do not have FANs with AT&T...I wonder how you can make the claim that the 3 GB data plan (absolutely) is not eligible for a employee discount?  Maybe under your FAN it isn't eligible, but to imply that it's not eligible at all?



Yes I do, becuase it is documented AND our FAN administrator was notified that the discounts for data plans would only apply to the 5gb plan - goahead and change to the new plan and see if you get the discount if you are so sure of it

Message 9 of 18 (67,570 Views)
Former Community Manager
Solution
Accepted by jamileh (Former Community Manager)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Employee Discounts

 

Because employee discounts vary from company to company, it can be tough to answer questions specifically about your account. 

 

There is usually one person in the company who is the point of contact for employee discount information (usually in the IT department) who can give you details about your individual benefits. 

 

Here is a link with an overview of AT&T's employee discount program. It will help answer some of the broader questions.  http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB112885#fbid=X7WFra0HuMr

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 18 (67,572 Views)
Scholar

Re: Employee Discounts


wingrider01 wrote:

anton697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

anton697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

JFizDaWiz wrote:
It depends on what type of deal directv has with att also


true, forgot about that little item


Especially in light of the fact that your previous comment about the discount only applying to the 5GB is not absolutely correct--I have one unlimited and two 2GB data plans on my lines under my account, and the FAN discount has been--and continues to be--applied to all three data plan lines on my account.  And no I am not mistaking the FAN discount line item applied to my voice service for that of my data plan, in case you might ask.

 

Now it could be possible down the line that this could change but that would be between my company and AT&T...but until then under the terms of my company's FAN contract the discount applies to all smartphone data plans.


you do realize the plans you are speaking of are no longer available right? The 2GB plan you are talking of no longer exists and cannot be obtained, it is a 3GB plan that is not eligible for an employee discount. If your company has a specific contract with att that allows you to obtain the discontinued 2GB plan thne the discount would apply, for the average user off the street that has a simple employee discount this option is not avaialable.

 

Bottom line - of the current data plans only the 5GB plan is eligible, not talking about discontinued plans, the rules where different


Please don't make statements that insinuate that I claimed something as fact/possible--I never stated or implied that I could still/continue to obtain a discontinued data plan and get a FAN discount on it.  And yes I do realize that the unlimited and 2 GB plans are no longer available--after all, you're not the only one in this forum who hasn't been living under a rock for at least the last few years. Smiley Wink

 

And I assume you know for a fact that the 3 GB data plan is not eligible for an employee discount because you somehow have access to each and every single FAN contract that AT&T has on file with each and every single company that has a FAN contract with AT&T?  Since you had claimed in the past that you are not an AT&T employee...you must have quite some pull in order to obtain such information that us mere mortals don't have easy access to.  I mean, seeing how I don't even know which companies do or do not have FANs with AT&T...I wonder how you can make the claim that the 3 GB data plan (absolutely) is not eligible for a employee discount?  Maybe under your FAN it isn't eligible, but to imply that it's not eligible at all?



Yes I do, becuase it is documented AND our FAN administrator was notified that the discounts for data plans would only apply to the 5gb plan - goahead and change to the new plan and see if you get the discount if you are so sure of it



Not sure where you got the idea that I said I was sure that it was possible to (continue) to get a discount on a data plan other than the 5 GB one--all I said was that I'm currently getting the FAN discount on the existing unlimited and 2 GB plans that are on my account and that AFAICT if I were to switch to one of the newer data plans it was still possible to get the discount under MY company's FAN.  You claim that it is documented that only the 5 GB plan qualifies for a FAN discount (if included on a company's FAN contract--not all FANs allow for data plan discounts)--all I ask is that you show me exactly where on AT&T's website does it say that only the 5 GB applies, regardless of company FAN contract.

 

And oh BTW--why would I want to switch from a $25 2 GB plan to a $30 3 GB one (on two of my three lines) just to prove a (your) point, given that a) I'd have to pay an additional $10 per month (assuming no discount, otherwise it's $7.50), and b) neither of those two lines even come close to using 2 GB per month?  Besides, jamileh indicated that FAN contracts vary from company to company, so unless you've examined the FAN contract for each and every single company that has a FAN plan, your "statement" could be considered fairly broad.

Message 11 of 18 (67,497 Views)
G6x
Mentor

Re: Employee Discounts


jamileh wrote:

 

Because employee discounts vary from company to company, it can be tough to answer questions specifically about your account. 

 

There is usually one person in the company who is the point of contact for employee discount information (usually in the IT department) who can give you details about your individual benefits. 

 

Here is a link with an overview of AT&T's employee discount program. It will help answer some of the broader questions.  http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB112885#fbid=X7WFra0HuMr


My employer does not provide sales associates with a at companyname dot com email address, only upper managment has one. I used to get a discount when I had a different carrier before AT&T, I just had to show a current paycheck stub to someone at the retail store and got 10% off my bill. I guess with AT&T you have to be high up enough in the company (not a sales associate) to have a at companyname dot com email address otherwise you don't get a discount.

Message 12 of 18 (67,461 Views)
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Employee Discounts

FAN discounts do vary, but not with the 300mb or 3gb plans. Any ATT employee can look up the policy for the data plans. I don't remember the exact wording, but, it did say the 300 mb and 3gb plans do not qualify for FAN discounts. It doesn't say it varies, or depends, it just says no FAN discounts with those data plans. Call 611 and maybe they can read you that info word for word. 

 

The previous info is correct, no discounts on those specific data plans. I have not seen that statement for the public on ATT website, so I can understand that someone might not believe it to be true.  

Message 13 of 18 (67,433 Views)
Scholar

Re: Employee Discounts


ujmnz wrote:

FAN discounts do vary, but not with the 300mb or 3gb plans. Any ATT employee can look up the policy for the data plans. I don't remember the exact wording, but, it did say the 300 mb and 3gb plans do not qualify for FAN discounts. It doesn't say it varies, or depends, it just says no FAN discounts with those data plans. Call 611 and maybe they can read you that info word for word. 

 

The previous info is correct, no discounts on those specific data plans. I have not seen that statement for the public on ATT website, so I can understand that someone might not believe it to be true.  



Thank you for making a sensible comment (the part I underlined); such a comment comes across as a bit more plausible than someone claiming that the data plan discount info is "documented" (that is the exact word that the poster used) yet not offering a link or other valid and legit source for folks like myself to verify personally.  Guess he was expecting that I simply should just take his word for it or something...LOL!!!!

Message 14 of 18 (67,349 Views)
Master

Re: Employee Discounts

[ Edited ]

anton697 wrote:

ujmnz wrote:

FAN discounts do vary, but not with the 300mb or 3gb plans. Any ATT employee can look up the policy for the data plans. I don't remember the exact wording, but, it did say the 300 mb and 3gb plans do not qualify for FAN discounts. It doesn't say it varies, or depends, it just says no FAN discounts with those data plans. Call 611 and maybe they can read you that info word for word. 

 

The previous info is correct, no discounts on those specific data plans. I have not seen that statement for the public on ATT website, so I can understand that someone might not believe it to be true.  



Thank you for making a sensible comment (the part I underlined); such a comment comes across as a bit more plausible than someone claiming that the data plan discount info is "documented" (that is the exact word that the poster used) yet not offering a link or other valid and legit source for folks like myself to verify personally.  Guess he was expecting that I simply should just take his word for it or something...LOL!!!!


This apears to be a recent change in their policy as the $25 and higher data plans use to qualify for discounts.

_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 15 of 18 (67,322 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.