Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 21, 2014
11:14:32 AM
View profile
ETF and monthly charge???
Edited by 9th Ward on Jun 21, 2014 at 11:16:31 AM

I have 2 plans associated with my account. I have a Family Talk plan with 5 iPhones and a 4GB Mobile Share  - Data Only plan with an iPad. I needed another phone added to my plan so I called in and spoke to AT&T and was reminded that the Family Talk plan could only have 5 lines and that I should convert my Mobile Share - Data Only plan to a Mobile Share Value plan. I was told that the Mobile Share Value plan would cost $25 for 1GB of data plus $15 for the line of service. I was also told that I would receive 20% off of the data portion because of my FAN discount which would bring my monthly charge down to $35 monthly. My contract end date of 10/6/12 would remain the same. My bill cycle runs from the 14th - 13th of each month. I agreed to the change and on the last day of my bill cycle, I brought my iPhone into an AT&T store to get a SIM card and the plan started.

I received my bill on the 17th and it showed that the line costs me $65 instead of $35. I called customer service to discuss this and was told that the line charge was $40 and the 1GB plan is $25 which totalled $65 and the FAN discount doesn't apply to the 1GB plan. The rep also said that I should have been offered the 2GB plan for $40 because I would have received a $15 discount off of the line charge and would still have a $65 monthly charge, but would receive a 20% FAN discount and pay $57 monthly instead. 

I informed the rep that I wasn't prepared to pay that much and that I'd like to cancel that change because of the misinformation. He stated that he would remove the change and submit a case to have the charges removed for that line.

Yesterday, I received a text stating that the case had been closed and that billed charges could not be credited back. I called in and was told that the $65 charge would have to be paid (even though the line had 0 Voice, 0 Messaging and 0 Data usage). In addition, I am being charged a $125 cancellation fee for that line. I was shocked! I asked to put things back the way that they were before this change. I just wanted to go back to the iPad on the 4GB Data Only plan, but was told that wasn't an option. So now I have no service (iPad nor iPhone) and pending charges close to $200. Doesn't seem right...

Is there anything that I can do about this? I just want to keep the data only plan until my agreement expiration date...

I have 2 plans associated with my account. I have a Family Talk plan with 5 iPhones and a 4GB Mobile Share  - Data Only plan with an iPad. I needed another phone added to my plan so I called in and spoke to AT&T and was reminded that the Family Talk plan could only have 5 lines and that I should convert my Mobile Share - Data Only plan to a Mobile Share Value plan. I was told that the Mobile Share Value plan would cost $25 for 1GB of data plus $15 for the line of service. I was also told that I would receive 20% off of the data portion because of my FAN discount which would bring my monthly charge down to $35 monthly. My contract end date of 10/6/12 would remain the same. My bill cycle runs from the 14th - 13th of each month. I agreed to the change and on the last day of my bill cycle, I brought my iPhone into an AT&T store to get a SIM card and the plan started.

I received my bill on the 17th and it showed that the line costs me $65 instead of $35. I called customer service to discuss this and was told that the line charge was $40 and the 1GB plan is $25 which totalled $65 and the FAN discount doesn't apply to the 1GB plan. The rep also said that I should have been offered the 2GB plan for $40 because I would have received a $15 discount off of the line charge and would still have a $65 monthly charge, but would receive a 20% FAN discount and pay $57 monthly instead. 

I informed the rep that I wasn't prepared to pay that much and that I'd like to cancel that change because of the misinformation. He stated that he would remove the change and submit a case to have the charges removed for that line.

Yesterday, I received a text stating that the case had been closed and that billed charges could not be credited back. I called in and was told that the $65 charge would have to be paid (even though the line had 0 Voice, 0 Messaging and 0 Data usage). In addition, I am being charged a $125 cancellation fee for that line. I was shocked! I asked to put things back the way that they were before this change. I just wanted to go back to the iPad on the 4GB Data Only plan, but was told that wasn't an option. So now I have no service (iPad nor iPhone) and pending charges close to $200. Doesn't seem right...

Is there anything that I can do about this? I just want to keep the data only plan until my agreement expiration date...

ETF and monthly charge???

[ Edited ]
4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2014 12:17:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

If you ahaven't already done so, you should call them back and switch to the 2GB plan, so that you are on the lower rates.  You can change your service plan during the life of your contract, so if you find one that is lower than you currently have, you should switch to that one.

Regretfully, the combinations of the Mobile Share plans and available discounts are a difficult thing to fully grasp.  As you have just learned, the 1GB mobile Share plan is not eligible for the $15/phone discount, but the slightly higher 2GB plan is.  I am surprised to hear that the 1GB plan is also not eligible for your employer FAN discount, but I probably shouldn't be.  I am disappointed to hear that a mis-informed representative on the phone misled you into thinking that you would qualify for discounts that you didn't.  I'm not sure what (if anything) can be done about that.

As for the iPad data only plan, I believe that there is a 4GB Data only plan which is $30 for teh data plus $10 for the iPad device, so you should be able to move the iPad back to the $40/month data only mobile share configuration.  Did they give you any reason why it couldn't be moved back to that setup?  Perhaps you should contact the Customer Care team here and see if they can help you out.  It sounds like there might be something else in there that we are not aware of, or that you got some respresentatives who didn't understand what you needed done.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

If you ahaven't already done so, you should call them back and switch to the 2GB plan, so that you are on the lower rates.  You can change your service plan during the life of your contract, so if you find one that is lower than you currently have, you should switch to that one.

Regretfully, the combinations of the Mobile Share plans and available discounts are a difficult thing to fully grasp.  As you have just learned, the 1GB mobile Share plan is not eligible for the $15/phone discount, but the slightly higher 2GB plan is.  I am surprised to hear that the 1GB plan is also not eligible for your employer FAN discount, but I probably shouldn't be.  I am disappointed to hear that a mis-informed representative on the phone misled you into thinking that you would qualify for discounts that you didn't.  I'm not sure what (if anything) can be done about that.

As for the iPad data only plan, I believe that there is a 4GB Data only plan which is $30 for teh data plus $10 for the iPad device, so you should be able to move the iPad back to the $40/month data only mobile share configuration.  Did they give you any reason why it couldn't be moved back to that setup?  Perhaps you should contact the Customer Care team here and see if they can help you out.  It sounds like there might be something else in there that we are not aware of, or that you got some respresentatives who didn't understand what you needed done.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: ETF and monthly charge???

2 of 5 (329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2014 12:26:22 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by 9th Ward on Jun 21, 2014 at 12:37:56 PM

AT&T states that they cancelled the line of service, not the changes. They are stating that I cannot go back to what I had last month because that line is now closed and an ETF has been assessed. Furthermore, even though they cancelled the line just 3 days into the billing cycle and the line had absolutely no usage, I am responsible for the full months service charge of $65 in addition to the $125 Early Termination Fee. 

Why would I want that? It would be more cost efficient for me to continue paying $35/ monthly for the next 4 months (totalling $140) until my agreement is satisfied and have active service rather than paying $190 and having nothing to show for it...

AT&T states that they cancelled the line of service, not the changes. They are stating that I cannot go back to what I had last month because that line is now closed and an ETF has been assessed. Furthermore, even though they cancelled the line just 3 days into the billing cycle and the line had absolutely no usage, I am responsible for the full months service charge of $65 in addition to the $125 Early Termination Fee. 

Why would I want that? It would be more cost efficient for me to continue paying $35/ monthly for the next 4 months (totalling $140) until my agreement is satisfied and have active service rather than paying $190 and having nothing to show for it...

[ Edited ]
3 of 5 (326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2014 4:42:00 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by 9th Ward on Jun 21, 2014 at 4:43:46 PM

I called back into AT&T and spoke with an excellent representative that was able to get me back on my 4GB Data Only plan without any issues. I will not be making any other changes to my account any time soon. Once this agreement is up, I'm going to cancel this line of service and just keep my Family Talk 700 plan with its 5 lines of Unlimited Data active. I'll never call back into AT&T again because if this happened with this line, I'd hate to see what would happen if my Unlimited Data services got lost... Nonetheless, all is well in the world again.

I called back into AT&T and spoke with an excellent representative that was able to get me back on my 4GB Data Only plan without any issues. I will not be making any other changes to my account any time soon. Once this agreement is up, I'm going to cancel this line of service and just keep my Family Talk 700 plan with its 5 lines of Unlimited Data active. I'll never call back into AT&T again because if this happened with this line, I'd hate to see what would happen if my Unlimited Data services got lost... Nonetheless, all is well in the world again.

[ Edited ]
4 of 5 (292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2014 2:25:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

9th Ward wrote:

I'm glad they got that worked out for you.

You are right to be worrried about your unlimited data plan.   If it ever gets removed, it will be impossible to get it added back.  Of course, with the throttling of those plans, a Mobile Share plan may work out better for you.  You would really have to look at your usage and the costs.  I would suggest looking at your peak usage as well as your average usage,  that's exactly what I did before I switched, but then my wife & I only had 2 phones on our account, so it was real easy to do the comparison to see that the max either of us had used in the last 12-18 months added up to 8GB, and the average came to about 6.5GB.  For us, the 10GB shared plan was a break even, and then once we added the discounts, it actually saved us money.  When we are ready to get new phones, we can either pay more for our service (bringing our bill back up to where it was) or pay more for our phones and keep the lower monthly bills.  

I also find myself using my cell phone for calls much more now that I have the unlimited talk & text package, just because I can use the headset and have my hands free for typing as opposed to trying to hold the desk handset to my ear while typing.  When I had a limited number of minutes each month, I found myself using other ways to avoid running out,  and now I don't have to worry about that, I just call and talk since it won't cost me any extra.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

9th Ward wrote:

I'm glad they got that worked out for you.

You are right to be worrried about your unlimited data plan.   If it ever gets removed, it will be impossible to get it added back.  Of course, with the throttling of those plans, a Mobile Share plan may work out better for you.  You would really have to look at your usage and the costs.  I would suggest looking at your peak usage as well as your average usage,  that's exactly what I did before I switched, but then my wife & I only had 2 phones on our account, so it was real easy to do the comparison to see that the max either of us had used in the last 12-18 months added up to 8GB, and the average came to about 6.5GB.  For us, the 10GB shared plan was a break even, and then once we added the discounts, it actually saved us money.  When we are ready to get new phones, we can either pay more for our service (bringing our bill back up to where it was) or pay more for our phones and keep the lower monthly bills.  

I also find myself using my cell phone for calls much more now that I have the unlimited talk & text package, just because I can use the headset and have my hands free for typing as opposed to trying to hold the desk handset to my ear while typing.  When I had a limited number of minutes each month, I found myself using other ways to avoid running out,  and now I don't have to worry about that, I just call and talk since it won't cost me any extra.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 5 (220 Views)