Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 24, 2014
7:12:10 AM
ETF...Porting...and OLD handset?
Edited by billw31601 on Jan 24, 2014 at 7:14:45 AM

Hi, if I were to cancel and port my 2nd line and paid the ETF....as far as the handset - can it be activated on someone elses AT&T account after the port is completed then? Is there a time frame before it is allowed to be activated?  or do I have to wait till the ETF is paid, and is it a period of time AFTER the ETF is paid?

Basically trying to recoup a portion of the ETF by selling the handset..so I need to know how long I need to wait.  

Hi, if I were to cancel and port my 2nd line and paid the ETF....as far as the handset - can it be activated on someone elses AT&T account after the port is completed then? Is there a time frame before it is allowed to be activated?  or do I have to wait till the ETF is paid, and is it a period of time AFTER the ETF is paid?

Basically trying to recoup a portion of the ETF by selling the handset..so I need to know how long I need to wait.  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 28, 2014 5:32:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Since the phone is an AT&T phone, anyone on the AT&T network can use it at any time, immediately. They will only not be able to use it if it was reported lost or stolen.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

ETF...Porting...and OLD handset?

[ Edited ]
14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 7:23:39 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by logo412 on Jan 24, 2014 at 7:24:31 AM

Hi billw31601,

As long as you pay the ETF, you can re-activate on any AT&T account, there is no lag time. Generally speaking you can give it to any other AT&T customer before anything is paid off.

Keep in mind that if anyone wants to have the device unlocked, you would have to submit for the unlock and your line would have to have the ETF paid in full prior to submitting for the request.

Hope this helps!

Hi billw31601,

As long as you pay the ETF, you can re-activate on any AT&T account, there is no lag time. Generally speaking you can give it to any other AT&T customer before anything is paid off.

Keep in mind that if anyone wants to have the device unlocked, you would have to submit for the unlock and your line would have to have the ETF paid in full prior to submitting for the request.

Hope this helps!

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: ETF...Porting...and OLD handset?

[ Edited ]
2 of 15 (2,603 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 7:24:52 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by billw31601 on Jan 24, 2014 at 7:57:51 AM

logo412 wrote:

Hi billw31601,

Hope this helps!

ah, ok.  so i'm thinking a few days, like 2-3 and it will be ok?  even if I don't pay the ETF until the end of the billing month?  only would be a problem if the person was going to unlock it?

logo412 wrote:

Hi billw31601,

Hope this helps!

ah, ok.  so i'm thinking a few days, like 2-3 and it will be ok?  even if I don't pay the ETF until the end of the billing month?  only would be a problem if the person was going to unlock it?

[ Edited ]
3 of 15 (2,600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 9:15:30 AM
(0)
Expert

billw31601 wrote:

logo412 wrote:

Hi billw31601,

Hope this helps!

would hazard a guess that the line is not considered terminated until after the ETF is paid even though the number is ported

billw31601 wrote:

logo412 wrote:

Hi billw31601,

Hope this helps!

would hazard a guess that the line is not considered terminated until after the ETF is paid even though the number is ported

4 of 15 (2,580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 1:04:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

that's what I'm afraid of lol.   well i guess i can call CS and get a definitive answer Smiley Tongue

that's what I'm afraid of lol.   well i guess i can call CS and get a definitive answer Smiley Tongue

5 of 15 (2,566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 1:07:18 PM
(0)
Tutor

logo412 wrote:

Hope this helps!

When you mean UNLOCKED, do you mean to use on another provider than AT&T, or ready to use on AT&T?

logo412 wrote:

Hope this helps!

When you mean UNLOCKED, do you mean to use on another provider than AT&T, or ready to use on AT&T?

6 of 15 (2,565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 1:41:51 PM
(0)
Expert

billw31601 wrote:

logo412 wrote:

Hope this helps!

Phones sold by ATT are locked ot their network and cannot be used on any other like t-mobile unless a unlocked request is sent to and approved by ATT.

billw31601 wrote:

logo412 wrote:

Hope this helps!

Phones sold by ATT are locked ot their network and cannot be used on any other like t-mobile unless a unlocked request is sent to and approved by ATT.

7 of 15 (2,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 3:48:27 AM
(0)
Employee

Your device unlock will not be approved unless you buy off your contract or pay the ETF in full including your final bill. You can do transfer of service or ToBR Transfer of billing responsibility if someone to take over your wireless account. Go to www.att.com/transferofservice. You can not use your device to another carrier as long you are done ith your contract or you are not buying your contract.

Your device unlock will not be approved unless you buy off your contract or pay the ETF in full including your final bill. You can do transfer of service or ToBR Transfer of billing responsibility if someone to take over your wireless account. Go to www.att.com/transferofservice. You can not use your device to another carrier as long you are done ith your contract or you are not buying your contract.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 15 (2,464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 4:19:25 AM
(0)
Tutor

I guess the confusion is over the word “LOCKED” or UNLOCKED.

What I’m going to do is port my number out to another company…NOT cancel my line with AT&T the “normal” way by calling them and cancelling my 2nd line.   When it ports out, of course AT&T will realize this and add the ETF, etc. 

My ONLY question is, after I port my number out, a couple of days after it has gone through okay, can I then sell my existing iPhone 5c to another AT&T customer for immediate use, or do I have to wait until the final bill and the ETF is actually paid?

Can someone please answer that for me?

I guess the confusion is over the word “LOCKED” or UNLOCKED.

What I’m going to do is port my number out to another company…NOT cancel my line with AT&T the “normal” way by calling them and cancelling my 2nd line.   When it ports out, of course AT&T will realize this and add the ETF, etc. 

My ONLY question is, after I port my number out, a couple of days after it has gone through okay, can I then sell my existing iPhone 5c to another AT&T customer for immediate use, or do I have to wait until the final bill and the ETF is actually paid?

Can someone please answer that for me?

9 of 15 (2,461 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 28, 2014 5:32:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Since the phone is an AT&T phone, anyone on the AT&T network can use it at any time, immediately. They will only not be able to use it if it was reported lost or stolen.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 15 (2,447 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 4:43:34 PM
(0)
Employee

That will be cancellation due to port out stil. There are a lot of kinds of  cancellation (too many to mention). You need to call the Port Activation Company of the new carrier that you want to port  then your new carrier  will contact AT&T. Once the IMEI of a phone is activated in a account you can not use it to another account unless you initiate ToBR or transfer of billing responsiblity. I strongly advised that you do the ToBR so you can avoid the ETF. That will be 100% free when you do it online but there will be $18 transfer of service fee when you do it over the phone. Go to this link to know more about ToBr http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB106740#fbid=bIARGk6RYEH

That will be cancellation due to port out stil. There are a lot of kinds of  cancellation (too many to mention). You need to call the Port Activation Company of the new carrier that you want to port  then your new carrier  will contact AT&T. Once the IMEI of a phone is activated in a account you can not use it to another account unless you initiate ToBR or transfer of billing responsiblity. I strongly advised that you do the ToBR so you can avoid the ETF. That will be 100% free when you do it online but there will be $18 transfer of service fee when you do it over the phone. Go to this link to know more about ToBr http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB106740#fbid=bIARGk6RYEH

11 of 15 (2,432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 5:36:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

That will not work in this case. It is the 2nd line on our account, and we are cancelling the second line.  That person would have to take over my number/line and I am keeping the 2nd line phone number.  That's the reason for the port and not simply just a line cancellation.

That will not work in this case. It is the 2nd line on our account, and we are cancelling the second line.  That person would have to take over my number/line and I am keeping the 2nd line phone number.  That's the reason for the port and not simply just a line cancellation.

12 of 15 (2,425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 9:17:02 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by billw31601 on Feb 19, 2014 at 9:17:54 AM

Just to update, I have now ported out my number...and decided to port out both numbers.  (No longer with AT&T.)  Since I have not received my final bill in the mail yet....I do not know the full amount that the ETF will be.  

So, my question is this...since I now have new service and phones, can I now SELL my ATT phones with no problem?  If, for example, I don't pay the ETF fee, could ATT come back at a later date and put some kind of "lock" on the phone, thereby messing up the person I sold it to?

Just to update, I have now ported out my number...and decided to port out both numbers.  (No longer with AT&T.)  Since I have not received my final bill in the mail yet....I do not know the full amount that the ETF will be.  

So, my question is this...since I now have new service and phones, can I now SELL my ATT phones with no problem?  If, for example, I don't pay the ETF fee, could ATT come back at a later date and put some kind of "lock" on the phone, thereby messing up the person I sold it to?

[ Edited ]
13 of 15 (2,170 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 11:48:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
You could sell your phones at any time and it will be usable to anyone on the AT&T network. AT&T will only blacklist phones that are lost or stolen. They do not blaclist phones from an account that is past due
You could sell your phones at any time and it will be usable to anyone on the AT&T network. AT&T will only blacklist phones that are lost or stolen. They do not blaclist phones from an account that is past due

14 of 15 (2,160 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 4:31:29 PM
(0)
Expert

billw31601 wrote:

they will not blacklist it as mentioned but they will flag your credit and send the unpaid amount to a collection agency.

As far as the final bill, it will not be pro-rated and the etf is variable depending on phone and number of completed billing cycles. ETFs will be charged on each line under active contract.

Smart phone

325.00 - (10.00 * number of completed billing cycles)

example 10 months billed and payed for at time of cancelation

325.00 - 100.00 = 225.00

Basic Phone

150.00 - (4.00 * number of completed billing cycles)

150.00 - 40.00 = 110.00

billw31601 wrote:

they will not blacklist it as mentioned but they will flag your credit and send the unpaid amount to a collection agency.

As far as the final bill, it will not be pro-rated and the etf is variable depending on phone and number of completed billing cycles. ETFs will be charged on each line under active contract.

Smart phone

325.00 - (10.00 * number of completed billing cycles)

325.00 - 100.00 = 225.00

Basic Phone

150.00 - (4.00 * number of completed billing cycles)

150.00 - 40.00 = 110.00

15 of 15 (2,149 Views)