Need help understanding your bill?
billw31601's profile

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

Friday, January 24th, 2014 3:12 PM

ETF...Porting...and OLD handset?

Hi, if I were to cancel and port my 2nd line and paid the ETF....as far as the handset - can it be activated on someone elses AT&T account after the port is completed then? Is there a time frame before it is allowed to be activated?  or do I have to wait till the ETF is paid, and is it a period of time AFTER the ETF is paid?

Basically trying to recoup a portion of the ETF by selling the handset..so I need to know how long I need to wait.  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

Since the phone is an AT&T phone, anyone on the AT&T network can use it at any time, immediately. They will only not be able to use it if it was reported lost or stolen.

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

Hi billw31601,

As long as you pay the ETF, you can re-activate on any AT&T account, there is no lag time. Generally speaking you can give it to any other AT&T customer before anything is paid off.

Keep in mind that if anyone wants to have the device unlocked, you would have to submit for the unlock and your line would have to have the ETF paid in full prior to submitting for the request.

Hope this helps!

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

@logo412 wrote:

Hi billw31601,

As long as you pay the ETF, you can re-activate on any AT&T account, there is no lag time. Generally speaking you can give it to any other AT&T customer before anything is paid off.

Keep in mind that if anyone wants to have the device unlocked, you would have to submit for the unlock and your line would have to have the ETF paid in full prior to submitting for the request.

Hope this helps!

ah, ok.  so i'm thinking a few days, like 2-3 and it will be ok?  even if I don't pay the ETF until the end of the billing month?  only would be a problem if the person was going to unlock it?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@billw31601 wrote:

@logo412 wrote:

Hi billw31601,

Hope this helps!

ah, ok.  so i'm thinking a few days, like 2-3 and it will be ok?  even if I don't pay the ETF until the end of the billing month?  only would be a problem if the person was going to unlock it?

would hazard a guess that the line is not considered terminated until after the ETF is paid even though the number is ported

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

would hazard a guess that the line is not considered terminated until after the ETF is paid even though the number is ported

that's what I'm afraid of lol.   well i guess i can call CS and get a definitive answer Smiley Tongue

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

@logo412 wrote:

Hope this helps!

When you mean UNLOCKED, do you mean to use on another provider than AT&T, or ready to use on AT&T?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@billw31601 wrote:

@logo412 wrote:

Hope this helps!

When you mean UNLOCKED, do you mean to use on another provider than AT&T, or ready to use on AT&T?

Phones sold by ATT are locked ot their network and cannot be used on any other like t-mobile unless a unlocked request is sent to and approved by ATT.

Former Employee

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

Your device unlock will not be approved unless you buy off your contract or pay the ETF in full including your final bill. You can do transfer of service or ToBR Transfer of billing responsibility if someone to take over your wireless account. Go to www.att.com/transferofservice. You can not use your device to another carrier as long you are done ith your contract or you are not buying your contract.

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

I guess the confusion is over the word “LOCKED” or UNLOCKED.

What I’m going to do is port my number out to another company…NOT cancel my line with AT&T the “normal” way by calling them and cancelling my 2nd line.   When it ports out, of course AT&T will realize this and add the ETF, etc. 

My ONLY question is, after I port my number out, a couple of days after it has gone through okay, can I then sell my existing iPhone 5c to another AT&T customer for immediate use, or do I have to wait until the final bill and the ETF is actually paid?

Can someone please answer that for me?

Former Employee

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

That will be cancellation due to port out stil. There are a lot of kinds of  cancellation (too many to mention). You need to call the Port Activation Company of the new carrier that you want to port  then your new carrier  will contact AT&T. Once the IMEI of a phone is activated in a account you can not use it to another account unless you initiate ToBR or transfer of billing responsiblity. I strongly advised that you do the ToBR so you can avoid the ETF. That will be 100% free when you do it online but there will be $18 transfer of service fee when you do it over the phone. Go to this link to know more about ToBr http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB106740#fbid=bIARGk6RYEH

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.