Need help understanding your bill?
rsewill's profile

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, July 3rd, 2018 6:15 PM

Download detailed billing information?

I want to be able to download in PDF format my detailed bill including information on each text, call and data usage. Like I always have been able to do in the past. Anyway to do this?  I am not interested in the .csv or .xls format but I do want the PDF format that was always available before.  Thank you.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Psych0path wrote:

The detailed PDFs are useful for legal purposes.  I can't submit an easily-faked Excel sheet as legal evidence of a call/text or series of calls/texts to my employer, bank, arbitrator, adjuster, or counsel. 

What makes you think you can't fake a PDF easily?  

I wouldn't accept a PDF as a record of anything from a person involved, unless both parties agreed, I'd want it from the source (who doesn't have anything to do with the case).

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@Psych0path

1.  You can screen print the usage reports (as opposed to download and print). 

2.  You can pay $2 per bill to have  usage printed and mailed as a full paper bill.  

Att is the last carrier to switch to streamlined billing, so those who need it will have to figure it out.  

Tutor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I agree. This new format is a real pain.

I have found that selecting the statement date(month) and downloading the CSV file gives me the data for all of the phones in the account.

But I doubt the people at ATT realize how bad the new system/format is (for them).

I have downloaded (and kept) the detail bills for my account since I purchased my first iPhone in July 2008.  Every month.

The PDF file sizes for the most part are in the 200-350 KB range.

For August of this year (new format), the NON detail PDF file is 658 KB, September is 765 KB, and October is 996 KB.  (4 to 5 times larger)

These files do not have the detail usage that the old format had.  The detail CSV files for these months are from 200KB to 350KB.

Imagine the terabytes wasting away on the AT&T servers for the pitiful little information they contain.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@Grumpy4u

I suspect 99.9% never look at this portion of the bill.  

I don’t.  

Why would I?   I don’t pay by call or text.   The data totals are always within range each month.   It would be. A waste of my time to look.  

Im allowed to write off my business line and 1/5th of the data plan, the IRS doesn’t need anything else per my tax people.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Grumpy4u wrote:

I agree. This new format is a real pain.

I have found that selecting the statement date(month) and downloading the CSV file gives me the data for all of the phones in the account.

But I doubt the people at ATT realize how bad the new system/format is (for them).

How bad is it FOR THEM? What are they losing by not being able to access this?

• It's unlimited calling and texting these days.
  • Data usage really doesn't tell you much.

What is it that you do with the data that is of benefit?   What are you losing if you do not examine this data?

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

I use the detailed bill to keep an eye on my children’s use.  Especially data overages!

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

I monitor my children’s usage.  I am the guardian for one of my children (older teen) so her calls, texts and data usage are my legal responsibility to monitor.  Another child is a heavy data user so when he goes over I pay the overage and then I take it up with him (young teen).  This was all very easy and straightforward with the detailed PDF statement.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@rsewill

You can get a number for how much data used at any time during the month.  The number is the only value ATT can provide for data usage.  The full data usage logs are of no use in limiting data use or teaching a teen to manage data.  

The actual useful information is on the phone including how much each app used.  This information can help a child cut back Snapchat or down load youtube to his device to watch later, rather than stream live on data.  

And of course all phones keep an independent and live recording of data use that ATT cannot.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@rsewill wrote:

I use the detailed bill to keep an eye on my children’s use.  Especially data overages!

Seems a little late for checking data at that point. By the time you'd get the bill, the month is past and next month is already 1/6th over. It's much more practical to teach them how to use their data wisely (or pay for unlimited and not worry about it).

Pretty much the same goes for monitoring calls and texts via the bill, depending on when they started something, it could be 35 days before you see that information on the bill. It's so out of date at that point it's not so useful.

You can check all of this information online, with a LOT less delays. So again, back to my question, I'm not sure how this is "bad" (your word) for MOST people with the new bill format? (Most people aren't monitoring kids/spouses/etc. via their bill. (I know this because in the forums, it's VERY clear that MOST people do NOT look at their bill!)

Besides, any kind with half a brain can figure out how to communicate with others without their parent seeing the records on the bill, just google "how to call and text without it showing on parents phone bill".

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

This is why people are so fed up with AT&T! I am very limited in knowledge of all the tech jargon you use....and I wish people would realize there are people like me who need clearer information instead of all this back and forth 

All I know is that up until a couple of months ago I could go into my account and download a PDF copy of my bill so I could see what mistakes AT&T made this month!! Now I can't! And AT & T doesn't want us to have paper billing...

fine but then now they make it difficult to make our own paper bill! 

Why do I want a PDF copy of my bill because....for me....it's easier to go over my bill with paper and pen then trying to click and scroll through a screen on my phone or laptop. 

I don't think it's asking too much of AT&T to make things more easier than difficult for their customers.... especially long time customers as myself.....I've been with AT&T since it was Southwestern Bell....over 50 yrs!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.