Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Does the Apple Upgrade Program affect my ATT bill?

Contributor

Does the Apple Upgrade Program affect my ATT bill?

Since there does not seem to be any recent answers on the subject, will using the Apple Upgrade Program (through Apple and Citizen's Bank) affect my bill?

I am assuming that there would be a cost (about $45?) for setting up the phone on my account and transferring my phone number over, but beyond that I can't seem to find any information.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 15
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by LordBaggins
‎09-12-2018 1:14 PM

Re: Does the Apple Upgrade Program affect my ATT bill?

No. Using Apple’s upgrade program, you shouldn’t have any charges from ATT with the possible exception of the upgrade fee, which is now $30, not $45. However, if you get a sim free phone from Apple, you won’t get an upgrade fee either. Just use the SIM card from your current phone.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 15
Contributor

So the preferable way to get a new iPhone for AT&T users via the CitizensOne Apple program would be to select a sim-free, unlocked, non-carrier affiliated phone and then put your old AT&T SIM in the new phone (assuming it's a recent phone with the same size SIM, eg X to XS Max). As part of the upgrade process it typically guides you down the carrier pathway, though, so I'm not sure if this available as an online option.

Message 3 of 15
ACE - Sage

@MPRAGE

Yes, you swap your SIM card into the phone and set up with iTunes.  ATT is not involved with your upgrade in any way.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 15
Tutor

Hello,

I just discovered we are now required to pay this one-time $30.00 fee.

To get a "sim-free, unlocked, non-carrier affiliated phone" that allows to spare this fee it then means you do not go through the update program.

You have to pay your iPhone in full in a one-time payment. And then you can't "exchange" it for a new phone after 12 months.

You possibly can bring it back next year and see what Apples is ready to give you for your phone but it is a completely different story than the update program.

Or am I missing something, here?

I don't get why AT&T does not charge anything if you change your phone that way but charges $30 if you go through the update program.

What is the technical explanation that justifies a $30.00 fee, please?

Thanks for any correction/clarification.

Regards,

Message 5 of 15
ACE - Expert

@OxleyDMDC wrote:

What is the technical explanation that justifies a $30.00 fee, please?

AT&T wants $30 for the activation of the AT&T SIM that's in the phone.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 6 of 15
ACE - Sage

@OxleyDMDC

According to Apple upgrade program, they run a credit check.  For as long as I’ve been alive, I’m pretty sure they pay for that.  Scroll to the fine print.

https://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program?afid=p238%7CizTgNK5d-dt_mtid_1870765e38482_...

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 7 of 15
Tutor

You do not pay $30.00 for a credit check. EVER!
The charge is displayed by Apple but it has nothing to do with Apple!

Message 8 of 15
Tutor

@Gary L

So, each time you will now update your phone you will have to pay $30.00 for a sim card activation?

==> Like if you were opening a new account with AT&T?!

==> For something done by a computer involving no human work?!

This is indeed a "justification" but not a valid explanation of what kind of work is paid for with these $30.00.

I guess the person who got the idea of charging these unfair $30.00 got a really big bonus for his "creativity"!

This is disgusting...

Regards,

Message 9 of 15
ACE - Sage

@OxleyDMDC

So don’t buy from ATT.  I have only upgraded through ATT once in 5 years, and then only for a $400 discount off the top of a phone purchase.  All our phones were full price purchases.  I just say I’m prepaid if buying a branded phone.  

Message 10 of 15
ACE - Expert

@OxleyDMDC wrote:

@Gary L

So, each time you will now update your phone you will have to pay $30.00 for a sim card activation?

Just like your monthly cellular service. It's done by a computer and requires no human work. But you pay that.

I hear you though. Obviously, I'd rather not pay it.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 11 of 15
Tutor

@

"

Just like your monthly cellular service. It's done by a computer and requires no human work. But you pay that."

==> In order to use your phone you need to use a network (of cellular antennas) and the technology is upgraded time to time. There is a justification for us to be charged for the provided service because the network needs constant human work (after having been built). That said I will not complain if they lower the charge!

==> If you open an account you go online or in a store and people are handling your case, validating your info, checking your account and credit score, proposing insurance, upgrades, etc. A certain amount of work involving humans is done so can be charged. Also, the carrier could decide not to charge for it!

BUT when you receive your phone at home, you just need to enter few info in your new phone such as your phone number for the network to understand that it is the new device to be taken in charge of (and not anymore the former one). The switch is 100% handled by computers with info you entered yourself.

And the more up-to-date is your phone the more service you are likely to use, hence a bigger invoice.

SO, there is no justification for these $30.00. And AT&T did not need to charge for it until now!

They just want to "punish" consumers that do not purchase their phone directly from "AT&T".

How "free" is the market?

Regards,

Message 12 of 15
ACE - Sage

@OxleyDMDC    @Gary L

Can’t justify this either.   https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/12/03/metro-by-t-mobile-now-charges-a-15-fee-every-time-you-swap-...

But the carrier that made fun of Verizon and Att for ‘fleas’/fees has now has its prime MVNO instituting a fee when it’s customers swap their own SIM cards.  At least Apple, ATT and Verizon have to do paperwork to process an upgrade.  

Message 13 of 15
Contributor

Yeah, I’ve been a customer for over 10 years. I went to the Apple Upgrade Program. A got a simm free X . And they are still charging $30 for doing nothing! As my plan in unlimited I’m already paying almost $100 monthly. I also got suckered into direct TV  from some 3rd party marketing group that lied through their teeth to get my business. The service is the worst ever as my screen freezes way too much. And, the internet service they tried to sell me... After a weekend of testing, the speed was laughable. Bottom line is: This has gone on way to long. I’m outta here as soon as the two year screw job is up but the phone is going down right away. Bundling services from AT&T is your basic ripoff.

Message 14 of 15
Associated Member

Allow me to gather the information about your concern for the Upgrade fee, when all the process is through ATT , you´ll be receiving a new sim card, these $30 are the shifting cost for make the change on the new sim card, since this is a valid charge for FCC, the only way to avoid is that your signature discount cover it. its doesnt matter how many years you have with ATT, ATT is giving you the service,  equipments is your way to show the world that you have the latest model and you have money to change it, even if you dont have ide about how to use it, so this doesnt matter to att. 

now if your old sim card taking the route provided by liz doesnt fit with your device , you can get a replacement sim from $4.99 * depending of the store will be the cost, retailer do whatever they want **  this sim card is a blank one, that will be active by billing.

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support