Need help understanding your bill?
Robintx's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, October 26th, 2012 10:38 AM

Data usage

So I get an email that I'm nearing my data limit and about to go over. Am I not to assume that when I see the wifi symbol in the upper left that I'm on wifi? I font see how I can be near my cap. Do text msgs use data? I have unlimited texting on my plan. Thanks.

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

@Nlwigg wrote:

My data usage has increased dramatically over the last month. I called and got a credit  for May which was great. I started closing the icons at the bottom when you double click and used wifi as much as possible then the last two weeks of June I went over again even getting charged $20 for two more overages. My billing cycle started on July the 5th and I started turning data off and on the 7th at 11:52 a.m. I had gotten a notice saying I'd used 65% of my 2 gig, and I had turned data back on for a very short while. I have even turned the notifications off and deleted several apps. I can not afford this and may have to get rid of this phone all together. There has to be a major "glitch" or scam taking place. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. Please make it stop. The same thing happened to my wife's phone/plan a while back but mysteriously stopped when we added more data and 3gig was the lowest plan and now I feel as though I am being forced to move up my plan for more data.

Thanks for you post @Nlwigg.  Send us a Private Message with your full name, account number, contact information and the best time you can be reached. One of our managers will gladly take a look at your bill to see what's causing the increase. 

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

11 years ago

At&T has come up with some questionable pricing models lately. I have unlimited data and text, and have had the same plan since the first iPhone came out years ago. The last few months I have been told they are speed limiting after 3G of use (on an unlimited plan). This is trying to force all of us to change our plans, stop service, pay a cancelation fee (which the courts have shown is equal to $7.01, not $175-$350) Since I've spent more time dealing with their customer service department to no avail, I've filed charges with the FTC the FCC and am awaiting legal response.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

11 years ago

Any data over the cellular network becomes data. Spam email, Twitter data since you cannot log off, downloaded apps, including iTunes sync etc. now even the unlimited data plans AT&T will speed limit ALL data and text after 3G or 5G if you're on LTE

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I thought when you use your wifi that you is not using your data. But you use your data and you go over it, its when you be
charged. but im using my wifi 95% of the time now I get a text saying i used 65% of my data this really starting to sound really funny. Because thought when you use wifi you are not using your data. what is the deal with wifi and data are we being charged if we leave our wifi on

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@jaybaby2010 wrote:
I thought when you use your wifi that you is not using your data. But you use your data and you go over it, its when you be
charged. but im using my wifi 95% of the time now I get a text saying i used 65% of my data this really starting to sound really funny. Because thought when you use wifi you are not using your data. what is the deal with wifi and data are we being charged if we leave our wifi on

If your phone goes into hibernation, wifi is turned off for battery savings, if the wifi signal drops or degrads the phone automaticly switches to cellular

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Plain and simple Data charges are making it pointless in even having a smartphone ...phone companies are ruining it and you tell them they say  oh connect to wifi but i dont have access in my car or when im jogging or just plain out and about....whats the point of watching movies or streaming or playing a game .... Its a corrupt world we live in ...the richer only get richer.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Robsdna wrote:

Plain and simple Data charges are making it pointless in even having a smartphone ...phone companies are ruining it and you tell them they say  oh connect to wifi but i dont have access in my car or when im jogging or just plain out and about....whats the point of watching movies or streaming or playing a game .... Its a corrupt world we live in ...the richer only get richer.

So make a stand go to a gohpone or back to a basic phone, then the carriers are not making a lot of money off of you. sadly you would have to give up the abilty to access your facebook page from anywhere or watch that youtube video that is a must see. You have to make the decision, and it could be a tough one, stay with your toys or stop paying for a luxury service.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

You can manage your data, and others using the MyAT&T app. It will give you the option of turning off devices that are incurring too many overages. Jeremy in tech support in Lubbock Texas helped me with this same thing today! Also, even if you exit the application it might still be running in "sleep mode" and then the wifi is disconnected and the data will be back on the 4G. Hope this helps!

Explorer

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

There are also 3rd party apps that monitor data useage and will show you exactly how much data each app uses, for android I use 'MyDataManager', free on the play store, This really helps you figure out what app is causing the data overages, and you can set it to turn off cellular data at a prest limit so you don't go over.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

I have an Iphone 6plus abd that did not work.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.