Need help understanding your bill?
Robintx's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, October 26th, 2012 10:38 AM

Data usage

So I get an email that I'm nearing my data limit and about to go over. Am I not to assume that when I see the wifi symbol in the upper left that I'm on wifi? I font see how I can be near my cap. Do text msgs use data? I have unlimited texting on my plan. Thanks.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@harryspar wrote:
@wingrider wow! That is a big difference. What is all that data from? ICS Android devices break down which apps sent how many MB on a nice chart.l It would be cool if someone could do something similar on those Iphones.

That said, it's shameful that ATT and Apple are passing the buck on this.

since it was a stock iphone with  no apps and at default I would hazard a guess it is the Icloud functionality, since the cries of "excess data usage" are non-carrier specific would als my a safe guess that the fault is not in the carrier, but in the device itself.

So your last statement is inaccurate - Apple is passing the buck, it is no wonder why they backed off on parts purchases that are used in the manufacturer of the iphone 5, after initial sales, the numbers have been pretty depressed, and the rumor of the Iphone 5S coming outin the summer, maybe they will get that one right.

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

(Never mind, I made a mistake. Does anyone know if there's a way to delete your own post? I seem to only be able to edit.)

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I RECEIVED A TEXT THAT SAID I have used 100% of my data. And my overage is 48. 48 what? MB or GB

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Long time customer with AT&T: my problem is with the way AT&T handles data charges

1. There should be a message to turn off cellular data option along with the "nearing limits messaging". After THREE MONTHS of going round & round with AT&T, it was finally explained why I was being charged (even in wi-fi environments). It is a factual matter that many customers are not aware of this; nor being told this when calling into cust service. I was advised to turn off background data and turn off data enabled. However, the 1st rep I spoke with as couple months ago just said to be sure I was in wi-fi environment; I did (got overages during last day of billing cycle). The 2nd rep spoken with last month told me to shut the phone off at night (as most of the data was tallied around 12 midnight); I did (got overages during the last 2 days of the billing cycle). The 3rd month & the 3rd rep (last 2 reps were supervisors) was the first time anyone advised of the background data usage, etc. I'd say that's pretty shady customer service, at best.

2. Furthermore, there is no way to sync your real-time data actual used/documented on my phone against the billing statement. AT&T system updates during the night (it seems around after midnight) and they roll up a cumulative total. It NEVER matches to what my actual data says I've used within the same period. How is a consumer to know if AT&T billing calculations are accurate? This is false/inaccurate billing, in every form, when the statement says used 3000 kbs at 12:01 AM & phone is OFF at that time, with no actual usage. If the AT&T cannot confirm where the data is coming from (they say due to privacy issues), then, why should I, the account holder/payer/consumer, believe the data is accurate??!!! AT&T, either bill according to my actual usage or prove where you get your figures from!  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]....

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

This  entry so hits the nail on the head.  I've had laptop data connect for over 5 yrs. from AT&T.  I had the old unlimited service and never came close to going over to 5G until around Dec. of 2012, I went over and my service was suspended.  So much for unlimited, I guess I missed the notice and the fact that I was paying $60/mo for something that didn't exist, had I not missed the notice, I could have been paying $50/mo since approx 2009, do the math on what that cost me.  After being reinstated, I looked at my data usage more carefully.  I haven't streamed a movie since summer of 2012, I don't download any music, I get perhaps a photo via email once per week, in fact I felt my time at the laptop had decreased, but instead my data amount has increased from my normal approx. 3G per month to right up to the top, with many irritating warnings that my data is close to overage-so just add the extra 1G for $10. This present month tops them all, I'm about 10 days into my billing period and have about 1 1/2 G left for 20 days!  And I've been avoiding laptop use!!!  So, where is all this data usage coming from???  I've chatted and phoned for advice and I don't get any good answer for why my data is being eaten up so fast.  A supervisor told me to install AT&T communication manager so I could track my data more closely, well dah, I have to have communication manager to launch my connection and I clearly have been watching my data usage being sucked away for reasons unknown.  I'm stuck though because of a very limited selection of internet services in my rural area.  I'm thinking maybe I should go back to using my old modem that I changed about a year ago, when I was only receiving 3G speeds vs 4G.  It seems as though all internet services have us by the throat-there's not much competition, no one is offering anything much better than the next guy.  My alternative is yuck, dial-up.  I'm glad I'm not the only one realizing the same problem-I thought I was maybe going on-line in my sleep.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Where did you get AT&T communication manager? I don't see it in the app store.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@datafoobar wrote:

Where did you get AT&T communication manager? I don't see it in the app store.

Becasue it is not a app for a phone

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I probably posted my complaint in the wrong area, as mine was regarding my laptop with use of an AT&T Momentum modem.  Communication Manager gets installed when you plug in the USB device, as well as setting up the whole connection to your laptop.  I'm still wondering why I'm going through much data and am also investigating some other options outside of AT$T.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

My data usage has increased dramatically over the last month. I called and got a credit  for May which was great. I started closing the icons at the bottom when you double click and used wifi as much as possible then the last two weeks of June I went over again even getting charged $20 for two more overages. My billing cycle started on July the 5th and I started turning data off and on the 7th at 11:52 a.m. I had gotten a notice saying I'd used 65% of my 2 gig, and I had turned data back on for a very short while. I have even turned the notifications off and deleted several apps. I can not afford this and may have to get rid of this phone all together. There has to be a major "glitch" or scam taking place. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. Please make it stop. The same thing happened to my wife's phone/plan a while back but mysteriously stopped when we added more data and 3gig was the lowest plan and now I feel as though I am being forced to move up my plan for more data.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Yes it is wrong. This needs to stop.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.