Need help understanding your bill?
Robintx's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, October 26th, 2012 10:38 AM

Data usage

So I get an email that I'm nearing my data limit and about to go over. Am I not to assume that when I see the wifi symbol in the upper left that I'm on wifi? I font see how I can be near my cap. Do text msgs use data? I have unlimited texting on my plan. Thanks.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

use this one

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community SupportATTCustomerCare is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I've been seeing the same thing for both my IPhone 4 (not S) and much more my sons IPhone 5 - on shared data plan with AT&T. My sons problem got a lot better once he turned Itunes syncing over cellular off. Been checking daily usage since.

So checked this morning and all of a sudden our reported usage total has pretty much been reduced by a factor of 1000! Yesterday it was 0.7Gb - today the combined total is only 0.8Mb.

Maybe its a glitch in the AT&T reporting or maybe they have decided to somehow correct whats been going on?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I'm leaving too because this seems to be ongoing and wide spread problem that att fails to get a handle on and well why should they when it's pure revenue they don't have to work for. att, you're fired!!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I can clearly document this wrong data charge. At 5:54pm, my data usage was 289.67mb, at 7:46pm my data was 289.6mb, at 10:07pm, I was 2 mb over my limit of 300mb. Between 7:46pm and 10:07pm, I absolutely did not usage anything except received a couple of words and send a couple of words in texts.
After waking up this morning, I found I was charged another 6mb during my sleep! This system definitely has problem. But AT&T rep keep denying it!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Sorry at 7:46pm my data usage was 289.69mb.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

This has been driving us insane for the past couple of months.  We've been getting messages saying we're near the data plan limit on one of the 3 iphones we have.  Last month my daughter went over her data plan 3 days before the end of the cycle - we thought maybe it was because she was streaming music in the car.  Ok, she stopped that.  The plan rolled over at the beginning of this month, and we have 21 days left in the billing cycle.  At 1:31 am we got an email saying she was at 2825 MB, and at 2:35 am she was over her data plan at 3082 MB - and SHE WAS SLEEPING.  This is absolutelly ridiculous.  I'm calling Customer Support this morning to complain - I see huge packets of data being sent by "phone" and just don't understand what's happening.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

Hey there Compumom!

Sorry to hear about the issues. Firstly what kind of device does the person have (Android, iPhone windows phone etc.) ?

The times you are seeing is the time where the data used is being sent to the system. It may sometimes take a few hours, and some times it may take 2-5 days for the data to accurately display.

You mentioned she used to stream music in the car, and since then has stopped.. Does she stream while she does other activities? If so, how long? That can be a huge factor.

Another possibility is that she may have applications running in the back ground. Simply going to the home screen does not close the applications. So if for example you are using Safari and simply press the Home button, Safari WILL continue to consume your data.

To close the apps on iPhone, double tap the home button > press and hold a application in the gray bar until it begins to wiggle > select the red button that appears on the app. That will close them on iPhone.

On Android, go to Settings > Applications > Running Apps to close all open applications.

Mentor

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

It is amazing to me that this is still a problem.  I have been calling in to customer service every month since July 2012.  Why?  Because no one still knows how to solve this issue.  Their "solution" is to just turn my cellular data off while at home.  It isnt supposed to be using my data anyway when I'm on wifi and seriously what a pain.  AT&T blames Apple and Apple blames AT&T- the sad part is, who is the one getting the raw deal.... Oh yeah "raises hand" remember me, I'm the one paying for your service .... The CUSTOMER.  Horrible.  (Oh, and from doing some more research, they can't blame just Apple anymore- this is happening with all types of phones they have their data service for.)  Smiley Mad

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@tkaye10 wrote:

It is amazing to me that this is still a problem.  I have been calling in to customer service every month since July 2012.  Why?  Because no one still knows how to solve this issue.  Their "solution" is to just turn my cellular data off while at home.  It isnt supposed to be using my data anyway when I'm on wifi and seriously what a pain.  AT&T blames Apple and Apple blames AT&T- the sad part is, who is the one getting the raw deal.... Oh yeah "raises hand" remember me, I'm the one paying for your service .... The CUSTOMER.  Horrible.  (Oh, and from doing some more research, they can't blame just Apple anymore- this is happening with all types of phones they have their data service for.)  Smiley Mad

the decision to utilize wifi or cellular is made at the device level, and at the app level, no carrier has the ability to force a phone to utilize cell over wifi. The switch back to cellular is automagic, if your wifi connection is bouncing the phone will switch and stay until the wifi connection becomes stable. By design a cell phone when it goes into hibernation mode will turn off the wifi radio if not plugged into a charger., if you have an app or apps in the background that auto update information - like email, facebook autocheck, twitter or any one of the other thousands of apps out there that multi-task and run in the background they will use cell data - this is universal.

As an experiment I took a iphone and a HTC Inspire that was not in use by anyone in the company and reset it back to factory defaults, nothing installed outside of what the base factory apps

Iphone - reset 10/12/2012

Sent - 40.6 MB

Recieved - 189 MB

HTC Inspire - reset 10/12/2012

Sent - 6.4MB

Recieved - 37.4 MB

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

@wingrider wow! That is a big difference. What is all that data from? ICS Android devices break down which apps sent how many MB on a nice chart.l It would be cool if someone could do something similar on those Iphones.

That said, it's shameful that ATT and Apple are passing the buck on this.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.