For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Yogamama70's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, April 7th, 2018 7:53 PM

Data charges at 12AM, 3AM, 6AM

Is anyone else noticing data usage at 12:00AM, 3:00AM and 6:00PM every day on your wireless phone bill? What is this about?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Att reports data in 3 hour time blocks.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks. I noticed the data 'charges' didn't show up on my actual bill, so I think that answers my question.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

It used to be when it was used. I don't like the 3 hour increments.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@emaven

No, it wasn’t.  Data has never been reported live.  Data may be reported in 3 hour batches , or continuously.  

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

Never said data was reported live. 
My May and previous bills used to show the exact times and dates of calls, data, sms, etc as line items.

This info would also appear on line for the current month. 

It has been in 3 hour increments on line since June, I believe.

And the recent bills do not even have that info, just an overview of charges. 

I don’t like it. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@emaven

The bills are now streamlined.  Usage is no longer in the mailed or PDF of the bill, but is still available online.     You can still select “usage” (right below your bill) and see your reports and print or download them.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I am having the same issues and the phone is turned off with the battery out and I'm get so frustrated cause it keeps causing me to go over my limit. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Sharon815

Data reporting to the ATT account is delayed 3 hours to 3 days.  But your phone independently meters your data live - all you have to do is look in settings under data usage.   

Note: iPhones have to be reset with your bill cycle.  

https://forums.att.com/t5/Community-Blog/Data-Management-Cause-for-gray-hair-hair-pulling-and-stress/ba-p/4323575

Today’s smartphones are designed to work efficiently.   They use data to do that.  So smartphones use more data than they did 2, 5, 10 years ago.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Re: Non-stop 5 KB/1 cent Data Leak Moto G6 AT&T GoPhone (prepaid)

I purchased an unlocked Motorola Moto G6 in July 2018. My previous phone was an ATT Windows 8.1 GoPhone Nokia Lumia 635. The old and new phone worked with the same ATT $1 daily plan.

I don't use data, only WiFi and rarely make phone calls due to having a weak to non-existent signal in my home.

On July 17, the ATT store put a nano-SIM card into the new phone, because the old SIM card was too big. All was well, until I got home and noticed that my account began deducting 1 cent 5 KB "data" every 3 or 4 hours from my prepaid balance. 12 days, dozens of e-mails and screenshots, 3 customer reps and 1 advanced tech rep later the charges continue!!

From the very start, I disabled ALL data (and I mean ALL of it, going into the deepest underground of this phone). Data access and data usage is disabled EVERYWHERE on the phone - every single App and its sub-configurations, background data, notifications, even the location satellite ping, with Google being the worst perp. Everything is grayed out (inactive). Even tested airplane mode, but nothing helps! The phone keeps charging my account, except when I switch it off completely or remove the SIM card.

The ATT advanced tech rep was unable to disable or block the data function from their end. All reps were nice, said they had never seen anything like this (yeah, right!), and reimbursed or even added funds to my balance. I've spent hours researching forums, because this has been happening for years with ATT prepaid accounts. However, it never happened with my previous ATT GoPhone, which was a smartphone too. But something with Motorola and ATT is triggering that auto-charge. The bill history shows dozens of 5KB and 1 cent deductions, but no reason or location for the usage. And the phone itself shows 0 (zero) data usages/access in its statistics.

Any posts out there marked "Solved" in regard to the "auto-charge" issue, ARE NOT SOLVED, because posts about this problem appear year after year, by frustrated users. I understand those who explain the regular auto-charge-interval, but that's not even relevant anymore (the regularity just happened to get our attention to these mysterious charges). What's important is that we are getting charged for nothing!!!

I'm fed up and keep the SIM card out of the phone, and only put it back in when I need to make a phone call, which is rare. I use the phone 99.9 percent with WiFi, thus using Skype and FB messenger to call family and friends who are on these platforms. Trying to free myself from ATT and any other carrier grip as soon as possible. Just wanted other "victims" to know they're not alone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.