BudKor's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Wednesday, May 21st, 2014 5:12 PM

Data Use

[Services] How can I be liable for over usage if the tool is broke

Every time I visit my usage it always tells me the exact same thing:

"(USGP800) We are sorry, but we are unable to display your Internet usage at this time. Please try again later.. "

May get to see it once a week if lucky......

Has not been updated since 16 May, I have checked two reports and there is a disconnect in the two report, one (bar Chart) show 137 GB used as of 16 May, the other show 92.12 as of 21 May with 10 days left in billing cycle. So what gives AT&T?  I signed up for 6mps to use my streaming service and how I have to pay a penalty if I go over AT&T 150 GB limits, no U-Verse in my area............

So how do they expect to get away with billing me if I do go over?

Started on 14 May 2014.  Appears it might be time to find another more reliable ISP, with at least 250 GB data cap limits....AT&T is set at 150 and I do not have U-Verse and AT&T cannot tell when it will be available in my area..........

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

It's a pain.

Your credit card company or water company would still hold you accountable to for charges/usage, even if the meter/website wasn't working for them. On principle, this is the same thing.

Just like with them, you have alternatives means of either tracking or preventing usage. What I mean is that there' free services that will let you keep track of your data, and you can disable usage if you really feel uncomfortable.

I'm not saying it's great. It's a pain in truth, but you're no less responsible for what you do.

-Alex

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Same issue here.  Intitally thought it might be a problem with plugins, but now I think that the latest site redesign broke it.  I also have seen just one report over the last 10 days or so - used linux live and thought that was the key, but nothing is working again.  I quess they'll eventually fix it.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

so what is the "alternatives means" or "Free Services" available? My question remains... why would two reports, reporting the same data be so different? One report show daily useage, the other show monthly use to date in a bar chart.............for exact reporting dates............I did call and ask the AT&T CSR, but he could not get to the daily report, telling me had system prolem..........

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

What kind of phone do you use?

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

No phone, I am talking about streaming with a number of option, Roku, Netflix, Amazon etc..........being retired now would like options available to catch up on tv show I missed during my Army Service time and travels......so would like to track anything going through the wireless router on daily basis...........

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Back to my question.....so what is the "alternatives means" or "Free Services" available?

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Are you using a mifi? I'm trying to figure what cellular device you're using. Many have on board tracking, and sometimes you can download services onto them.

My iphone and my Android both use 'My Data Manager' app

Just to not misunderstand, yuou're on the wireless (cellular) section, so I'm assuming we're talking about a device like that.

Wireless service is not really intended for heavy video streaming like that.

-Alex

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Ok....I have a Roku Device, streaming via Netflix and Hulu to my TV, occisionly I stream direct to my computer, so all streaming is on coming in via wireless router  and counted via the data usage....I just attempted to check my daily usage again today (23 May) as it tells me the same thing it told me on 16 May, no change, adn the data usage being reported via the chart is also the being report as of 16 May and is differenct from the daily chart so as of today I have no clue on how much data usage I have........I am going to send AT&T a formal letter today and see if just maybe I can get anyone in the tech department to tell me how much data I have used for the past week, and yes I can estimate my daily usage, but I am new to all this stuff and just now getting involved in streaming and don't know how much a normal 45 min TV episode in HD is used to stream, I do not and any form of cell, strange is that might sound, at 68 years old I see not need for a cell phone, correction..I do have a 10 years old Nokia flip phone that is pre-paid and I put a $100.00 a year on that........so haveing a utility to monitor all data use directly from the router would be great......

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@BudKor wrote:

Ok....I have a Roku Device, streaming via Netflix and Hulu to my TV, occisionly I stream direct to my computer, so all streaming is on coming in via wireless router  and counted via the data usage....I just attempted to check my daily usage again today (23 May) as it tells me the same thing it told me on 16 May, no change, adn the data usage being reported via the chart is also the being report as of 16 May and is differenct from the daily chart so as of today I have no clue on how much data usage I have........I am going to send AT&T a formal letter today and see if just maybe I can get anyone in the tech department to tell me how much data I have used for the past week, and yes I can estimate my daily usage, but I am new to all this stuff and just now getting involved in streaming and don't know how much a normal 45 min TV episode in HD is used to stream, I do not and any form of cell, strange is that might sound, at 68 years old I see not need for a cell phone, correction..I do have a 10 years old Nokia flip phone that is pre-paid and I put a $100.00 a year on that........so haveing a utility to monitor all data use directly from the router would be great......

Are you using Uverse or a cellular device for data?

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Don't have Uverse in my area not sure when or if it will be here, I have a wireless Westell Router, have two PCs and the Roku device on that, all videos are coming through wireless to the Roku which is connected to the TV,  may just use Google to see whats out there for utilities, my guess is secret will be to find one that will work with my router, as far as being in the wrong area of this forumn, I just started using and found WIRELESS as the subject and it took me here, if this is not the correct area please let me know....I may just send copies of my screens print directly to AT&T and see what they have to say on the lack of updating the Usage Data Web pages, that has not been updateed since 14 May so I have no idea how much data stream I have used.......thanks again......

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.