Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 11, 2011
1:19:48 PM
View profile
Data Billing Fraud
Edited by katieeighty on Jul 11, 2011 at 2:16:35 PM

Since this is a matter that needs to be publicized, I'm going to show it to your loyal customers, first, before amends can be made. This is also going on my blog, so unless you guys give back the stolen money to all the customers who have been affected by this apparent 'mistake', I will continue to publicize your company's billing frauds. This is only one of my bills that I've been charged like so, but it is the largest one.

As you can see below, I've been charged $104.99 total for my data usage. Obviously this is a mistake because the charges in red are supposed to be subtracted from the total. Apparently, subtraction isn't a requirement for the folks at AT&T, so they decide to add everything from my bill. Now time for some basic math. If I added all the charges in the black boxes and subtracted all the charges in the red boxes excluding the total, I end up with $54.99. That is exactly a $50 overcharge to my bill. Almost twice the amount I should be charged for. Given how many customers are also affected by this, times the number of bills that have this mistake, I now know why AT&T is a multibillion dollar company. Also, I doubt this is an 'overlooked' mistake given how important billing charges are to the customers.

If you are a customer who has been affected by this, or if you don't know yet (check your bills, friends), let your voices be heard. We are living in 2011 and we are still being tricked into paying more money than we are told to pay. I am a first time AT&T customer on a 2 year contract, and this is what they did to me on my second bill. {Personal information and other content removed - please keep it relevant and appropriate}

Since this is a matter that needs to be publicized, I'm going to show it to your loyal customers, first, before amends can be made. This is also going on my blog, so unless you guys give back the stolen money to all the customers who have been affected by this apparent 'mistake', I will continue to publicize your company's billing frauds. This is only one of my bills that I've been charged like so, but it is the largest one.

As you can see below, I've been charged $104.99 total for my data usage. Obviously this is a mistake because the charges in red are supposed to be subtracted from the total. Apparently, subtraction isn't a requirement for the folks at AT&T, so they decide to add everything from my bill. Now time for some basic math. If I added all the charges in the black boxes and subtracted all the charges in the red boxes excluding the total, I end up with $54.99. That is exactly a $50 overcharge to my bill. Almost twice the amount I should be charged for. Given how many customers are also affected by this, times the number of bills that have this mistake, I now know why AT&T is a multibillion dollar company. Also, I doubt this is an 'overlooked' mistake given how important billing charges are to the customers.

If you are a customer who has been affected by this, or if you don't know yet (check your bills, friends), let your voices be heard. We are living in 2011 and we are still being tricked into paying more money than we are told to pay. I am a first time AT&T customer on a 2 year contract, and this is what they did to me on my second bill. {Personal information and other content removed - please keep it relevant and appropriate}

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 11, 2011 2:28:57 PM
(0)
Guru

This would make sense if that section was only for data charges, unfortunately its not. That section is a break down of all the MRC's (Monthly Reoccurring Charges), which the voice plan is included, not only the data charges. You are correct that only the data charges add up to 54.99, but you forgot to include the 50.00 for your voice plan. Total comes out to 104.99 with the voice plan added to the data charges which is what your seeing.  that last section clearly states "Total Monthly Reoccurring charges". Overcharged? Don't think so... Confused a bit, +1.

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1
Accepted Solution

Data Billing Fraud

[ Edited ]
5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2011 2:00:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

Did you add the 50.00 for your voice plan? That would be the total charges listed i think...

Did you add the 50.00 for your voice plan? That would be the total charges listed i think...

Re: Data Billing Fraud

2 of 6 (2,461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2011 2:03:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

Nope, that went into my total for the bill. This is specifically for the data charges.

Nope, that went into my total for the bill. This is specifically for the data charges.

3 of 6 (2,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 11, 2011 2:25:11 PM
(0)
Former Employee
Edited by drumn_bass on Jul 11, 2011 at 2:33:11 PM

That $50 is not an overage, it is your Family Plan (Voice) for primary line. All the way on top of your screenshot it reads "Monthly Service Charges" then breaks them down to "Rate Paln" and "Wireless Data" in 2 separate boxes and on the bottom it reads "Total Monthly Service Charges", not "Total Data Charges". And your total bill, there is an other line or 2, make sure to add them too.

That $50 is not an overage, it is your Family Plan (Voice) for primary line. All the way on top of your screenshot it reads "Monthly Service Charges" then breaks them down to "Rate Paln" and "Wireless Data" in 2 separate boxes and on the bottom it reads "Total Monthly Service Charges", not "Total Data Charges". And your total bill, there is an other line or 2, make sure to add them too.

[ Edited ]
4 of 6 (2,443 Views)
Solution
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 11, 2011 2:28:57 PM
(0)
Guru

This would make sense if that section was only for data charges, unfortunately its not. That section is a break down of all the MRC's (Monthly Reoccurring Charges), which the voice plan is included, not only the data charges. You are correct that only the data charges add up to 54.99, but you forgot to include the 50.00 for your voice plan. Total comes out to 104.99 with the voice plan added to the data charges which is what your seeing.  that last section clearly states "Total Monthly Reoccurring charges". Overcharged? Don't think so... Confused a bit, +1.

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

5 of 6 (2,436 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2011 3:25:50 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by gutsntoses on Jul 11, 2011 at 3:29:59 PM

LOL. Actually just noticed that. Wow I got worked up for nothing.

LOL. Actually just noticed that. Wow I got worked up for nothing.

[ Edited ]
6 of 6 (2,419 Views)