Need help understanding your bill?
sbolles's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, May 28th, 2019 8:44 PM

Customer service rep lied to me about billing cost as a result of service change

I recently requested a temporary change from my current grandfathered plan to an unlimited plan for one month.  When I was told I would lose the grandfathered plan, I said I was not interested.  I was then told I could have the unlimited plan permanently for $10 per month additional for the TOTAL bill.  As we went through this process, I repeatedly asked if this was the increase for the total bill, as I have 2 iPhones and 2 iPads on this account.  She repeatedly and emphatically told me my total increase would be $10. I asked about taxes and any other charges, and she stated this increase included all charges.  She did not seem to be a new person, and I trusted her.

When I was able to access my new bill, the total increase is $50, which is above my budget.  Now I have lost my grandfathered plan, and have a much higher unlimited plan cost than I wanted.  I need the unlimited for one month, but then will be forced to go back to something else.  It angers me to no end that I cannot trust a customer service representative to tell me the truth about changes being made to my account.  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@sbolles Did you read my post, about talking to the "retentions team", to try and get this "straightened out"?

Others have added valid points, about the discounts, but it sounds like you already have those, although these might not be "showing", if your'e looking at your billing, right after a service-change.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@sbolles I'd call back, and ask to talk to "retentions".

Explain your situation (as calmly and politely as possible), and they'll do their best to "make it right", they're VERY good at this.  Retentions has access to some "plan options", beyond the regular CS agents.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

5 years ago

The online tool in your myATT account shows you what the difference in monthly base plan is compared to all available plans.  

A couple things to note:  in you are not enrolled in paperless billing and auto pay, that’s a good size discount which you may not see yet.  Your bill may also show prorated charges if you switched mid month.  Read the bill carefully.  Your actual bill may indeed be much less each month. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

You make good points.   However, I was already enrolled in paperless billing and auto pay.  I was calling on the next to last day of my billing cycle, so there should not have been any significant impact from that.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

5 years ago

@sbolles wrote:

I recently requested a temporary change from my current grandfathered plan to an unlimited plan for one month.  When I was told I would lose the grandfathered plan, I said I was not interested.  I was then told I could have the unlimited plan permanently for $10 per month additional for the TOTAL bill.  As we went through this process, I repeatedly asked if this was the increase for the total bill, as I have 2 iPhones and 2 iPads on this account.  She repeatedly and emphatically told me my total increase would be $10. I asked about taxes and any other charges, and she stated this increase included all charges.  She did not seem to be a new person, and I trusted her.

When I was able to access my new bill, the total increase is $50, which is above my budget.  Now I have lost my grandfathered plan, and have a much higher unlimited plan cost than I wanted.  I need the unlimited for one month, but then will be forced to go back to something else.  It angers me to no end that I cannot trust a customer service representative to tell me the truth about changes being made to my account.  

What plan did you have before an how much did it cost?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Two months in a row at least a half dozen reps. ALL LIES. Did not do anything they promised. Hours on the phone trying to get it sorted out. I’ve canceled my service and if the final bill doesn’t get corrected I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM AGAIN and will tell everyone to avoid att like the plague

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

If the rep says you can file a complaint with the office of the president ALL LIES. Just leads you to a bunch of legalese about arbitration 

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Rdea99 Sorry to see you go, but happy you found a "resolution", that works for you.

Yeah, you can't file a suit, or something like that, but (typically) a BBB complaint generates a callback from the OOP (or at least many have reported this), and in most cases, a satisfactory resolution.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

@pgrey - Things have been crazy busy, and I have not had time to follow up with AT&T.  I plan to follow your advice next week, and contact the retention team.  In the meantime, the story became even worse, as I received the bill and it is a $70 increase once taxes and other charges are added in.  I will post again once I contact them.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

5 years ago

@sbolles wrote:

@pgrey - Things have been crazy busy, and I have not had time to follow up with AT&T.  I plan to follow your advice next week, and contact the retention team.  In the meantime, the story became even worse, as I received the bill and it is a $70 increase once taxes and other charges are added in.  I will post again once I contact them.

What plan did you have before an how much did it cost?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.