Need help understanding your bill?
michyrec's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, November 11th, 2010 2:46 PM

Confused about unlimited data/messaging plan

Hello all,

I received a message today from AT&T stating that I did not have an eligible data plan for my smartphone (Samsung Jack).  However, when I ordered the phone almost two years ago through the AT&T website, it allowed me to choose the unlimited data/messaging plan.  How is this plan not an eligible plan then?  Is there a list of eligible plans somewhere?

Thanks,

Michele

Accepted Solution

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

The Unlimited + Messaging Data Plan of $30.00 is only available for dumbphones. Because the Samsung Jack is a smartphone it can't have that feature.

The current Data Plans for smartphones are DataPlus 200MB for $15.00 and DataPro 2GB for $25.00. If you want messaging then you would need to add another separate feature: 200 messages for $5.00, 1500 for $15.00 or Unlimited Messaging for $20.00.

If you received that message from AT&T today then most probably you already got added a smartphone Data Plan. Call Customer Service to confirm it at 800 331-0500.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you!  I think that AT&T should take a look at their online ordering system and make sure no one can sign up for a smartphone with a dumbphone data plan to prevent this in the future.

Michele

Scholar

• 

89 Messages

13 years ago

Michele:

Is it possible that 2 years ago they allowed SmartPhones with unlimited plans, but perhaps now your contract expired and you are being forced onto a SmartPhone Data Plan?

Just an idea.

-jts

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

The smartphone data requirement came into effect last september I believe

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

13 years ago

@jts wrote:

Michele:

Is it possible that 2 years ago they allowed SmartPhones with unlimited plans, but perhaps now your contract expired and you are being forced onto a SmartPhone Data Plan?

Just an idea.

-jts

contract epxeriation does not trigger the required smartphone plan, changing the smartphone that was grandfatered into the no data plan option to a new smartphone will trigger it.

If you have a Blackberry Pearl that had the no data plan required plan and you decided to upgrade to the torch, then you would be required to get the new plan becasue you activated the torch. If you deactive the pearl then reactivate it the grandfatered plan is gone. The grand fathered plan for no data is only valid for as long as the device that is grandfathered is active.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.