For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
smg7928's profile

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, March 9th, 2016 4:44 PM

Charge full month rate for using only 3 days

A few months ago, I canceled att mobile service due to expatriate work on Nov. 29th 2015. Last month, I visited my office in NJ and found unpaid bill from att. So, I called customer service center and they explained the bill I received was use for previous month, which was between October 27th and November 26th, they informed me that is billing cycle. All we know that we are generally paying our cell phone bill in advance. So, their explanation did not make sense. Plus, they could not explain how the usage of 3 days(Nov. 27th - Nov. 29th) was not added to this unpaid bill. So, I posted my concerns on att Facebook and reached media service crew, Jeremy. He kindly explained that att has a policy to charge full month, if customer cancel his service, even though he only use 3days. I think this policy is not fair and should be changed to prorated. Also, they carefully need to monitor how their customer service crews deliver incorrect information to their customers.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

8 years ago

@smg7928 wrote:
A few months ago, I canceled att mobile service due to expatriate work on Nov. 29th 2015. Last month, I visited my office in NJ and found unpaid bill from att. So, I called customer service center and they explained the bill I received was use for previous month, which was between October 27th and November 26th, they informed me that is billing cycle. All we know that we are generally paying our cell phone bill in advance. So, their explanation did not make sense. Plus, they could not explain how the usage of 3 days(Nov. 27th - Nov. 29th) was not added to this unpaid bill. So, I posted my concerns on att Facebook and reached media service crew, Jeremy. He kindly explained that att has a policy to charge full month, if customer cancel his service, even though he only use 3days. I think this policy is not fair and should be changed to prorated. Also, they carefully need to monitor how their customer service crews deliver incorrect information to their customers.

Your final bill is not prorated with AT&T nor with any other carrier. I agree with you that that policy should be changed. However, It doesn't matter what you, me, or anyone else thinks is "right" or "fair", final bills are not prorated. 

Billing usage is billed in arrears (of course, because that's the only way to know). Monthly usage is billed in advance. Therefore your October 27 to November 26 bill covered usage from those dates, but billed November 27 to December 26 in advance. 

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply and it clarify my question again. I appreciate it. By the way, when we join mobile phone service, are we all informed that we need to pay full month bill if we cancel the service? That would my last question and if it is not, [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]..

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

8 years ago

@smg7928 wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply and it clarify my question again. I appreciate it. By the way, when we join mobile phone service, are we all informed that we need to pay full month bill if we cancel the service? That would my last question and if it is not, [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Yes, that information is in the Wireless Customer Agreement you "signed" when you started service. 

5.1   What Are The General Terms That Apply To All AT&T Voice Rate Plans?

You may obtain usage information by calling customer service or using one of our automated systems. Pricing/Taxes/No Proration: Prices do not include taxes, directory assistance, roaming, Universal Service Fees, and other surcharges. Final month's charges are not prorated.

http://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement.html#whatIsTheTermOfMyService

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for sharing contract terms. It is quite simple. When customer starts to use the service, they charge prorated and when customer cancel the service, they charge full month.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Beginning of service has nothing to do with the end of a service agreement and account. Two completely different things. When a cancellation is requested, the line is not terminated on that date. It remains active until the final day of the cycle. It is still active.

No carrier in the entire industry prorates final bills, not a single one. Go look at the terms and conditions for the other big three, Verizon - Sprint - T -Mobile. Their terms and conditions state the same thing, your final bills aren't prorated.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Exact same thing happened to me. I agree that this is not fair. I do not care if AT&T thinks the account is still active at the end of the billing cycle. As a customer for me it is inactive as soon as I cancel it. For them, it is either a design choice or a sneaky policy to *assume* the account will be active until the end of the billing cycle. 

At best, it could be a cost of doing a business if technically it is impossible to make the number inactive immediately from their perspective and they should be eager to absorb that cost.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.