Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Changing plan charge?

Contributor

Changing plan charge?

I've only had service with AT&T for a month, two weeks after I got started I realized we needed more data, so I went from 3 gigs to 30... It's $100 more monthly and I get a $90 charge just to change it? Can someone tell me why this wasn't anywhere to be seen while I was changing it, no warning at all.. just added to my bill.. It did not say anywhere that I would get charged for it, I went back after I was billed to check and it's not even in the paragraphs of random data charging.
Message 1 of 21
Tutor

@lizdance40

You start your reply with "The charges would be valid" and later put "very skeptical".

I'm not going to beat my head against the wall trying to explain what is obvious,  I will wait to do that with the arbitrator.

I got tired of fighting "Customer Service" for what is right.

And seriously, have you looked at what is advertised on the website? and what that clean 170/mo looks like on the bill? 

Message 16 of 21
ACE - Master

@billak wrote:

@lizdance40

You start your reply with "The charges would be valid" and later put "very skeptical".

I'm not going to beat my head against the wall trying to explain what is obvious,  I will wait to do that with the arbitrator.

I got tired of fighting "Customer Service" for what is right.

And seriously, have you looked at what is advertised on the website? and what that clean 170/mo looks like on the bill? 

You haven't told us the one thing that matters, and it requires no explanation: Why is your bill higher than both plans combined? You have the new plan for $170, the prorated about for the change, and taxes and fees. 

Let's assume you switched halfway through to old plan:

$170 (new plan a month ahead)

+ $60 (prorated difference between the lower plan and the higher plan for the previous bill where you paid the lower rate for the whole month)

+ $25 (taxes) = $255.

If you switched earlier than halfway through, the $60 would be higher; depending on your area, the $25 could be higher. 

Is there anything on the bill other than those three things? If not, then the bill is correct. If so, that is the issue, not the total amount of your bill.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 21
ACE - Sage

Well now we don’t have enough information on the plan, “before” or “after”.  

Was the plan $113 or the bill?

is the new PLAN $170, or the new BILL $170. 

Quotes for plans are service.  They don’t include phones.  

Give the rounded amount of $170, it sounds close to the unlimited plan for 4 lines w/o auto pay discount or it’s spot on for the Unlimited for 3 lines.  

If that is correct, the $170 is the bare price.  Before tax, which would also be prorated.  If you had a discount on the old plan, you lose it.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 21
Tutor

@lizdance40

You are pretty good at figuring out the numbers and I can admit I'm partially wrong.  

The My ATT app is not clear when you look up bills, ie when they list sept 1 - sept 30 it is actually for oct.  So when I see the bill oct 1 -oct 31  (the month I switched plans)  I expected that to be a prorated bill (partial billing for each plan). You are right in your math calculations, but you are also right about the unaccounted amount above that.   

Customer service should have been able to explain the bill, as a customer I should know how much I'm going to be charged.  I called customer service or used the chat feature 4 times and got 4 different answers.

And to the other green above, I did not get a phone, just plan.   And trying to understand the bill (like extra charges) good luck: the 6 page bill has 72 spots with dollar amounts for 3 phone lines (yes some are just totals/repeats).

Message 19 of 21
Highlighted
ACE - Master

@billak wrote:

@lizdance40

You are pretty good at figuring out the numbers and I can admit I'm partially wrong.  

The My ATT app is not clear when you look up bills, ie when they list sept 1 - sept 30 it is actually for oct.  So when I see the bill oct 1 -oct 31  (the month I switched plans)  I expected that to be a prorated bill (partial billing for each plan). You are right in your math calculations, but you are also right about the unaccounted amount above that.   

Customer service should have been able to explain the bill, as a customer I should know how much I'm going to be charged.  I called customer service or used the chat feature 4 times and got 4 different answers.

And to the other green above, I did not get a phone, just plan.   And trying to understand the bill (like extra charges) good luck: the 6 page bill has 72 spots with dollar amounts for 3 phone lines (yes some are just totals/repeats).

There's no such thing as an "unaccounted amount." It's all listed on the bill which, as you note, is quite detailed. 

Message 20 of 21
ACE - Sage

@billak

Your new bill after increase should show yellow triangles at every item that went up.  Expand all fields and compare to old bill.  Then the new “regular” bill when it comes.  Between the 3 you should have an idea what’s screwed up.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 21 of 21
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support