Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Changing plan charge?

Contributor

Changing plan charge?

I've only had service with AT&T for a month, two weeks after I got started I realized we needed more data, so I went from 3 gigs to 30... It's $100 more monthly and I get a $90 charge just to change it? Can someone tell me why this wasn't anywhere to be seen while I was changing it, no warning at all.. just added to my bill.. It did not say anywhere that I would get charged for it, I went back after I was billed to check and it's not even in the paragraphs of random data charging.
Message 1 of 21
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by tswain
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Changing plan charge?

If you change mid-billing cycle, there is a pro-rated charge for the change. You were not charged $90 plus the $100, you were charged $90 for the 30 gigs for the remainder of that billing cycle.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 21
ACE - Expert

@tswain wrote:
I've only had service with AT&T for a month, two weeks after I got started I realized we needed more data, so I went from 3 gigs to 30... It's $100 more monthly and I get a $90 charge just to change it? Can someone tell me why this wasn't anywhere to be seen while I was changing it, no warning at all.. just added to my bill.. It did not say anywhere that I would get charged for it, I went back after I was billed to check and it's not even in the paragraphs of random data charging.

There is no charge to change your plan. Most likely the $90 is a pro-rated charge for the increase from 3 to 30GB.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 21
Contributor

It's not pro-rating if you get chargedthe $130 for the 30 gigs of data, plus the $90. My bill shouldn't be $320.00
Message 4 of 21
ACE - Expert

Actually, it could be. You need to look at the dates for each charge, you may getting the $90 prorated charge for the billing period when you made the change and the $130 charge is for the next month's worth of data. You should also be getting a credit for the unused portion of the 3GB plan.
Message 5 of 21
Tutor

I have the same issue!!!! I was told oh you can just go into myatt.com and you can change your data anytime in your billing cycle.  When you do though watch your bill skyrocket...my bill doubled as a result.  Their bill is so complicated with all the prorated charges and credits. I think it is intentional that the credits are not next to the applicable charge so you can determine what you are actually paying.  It is so bad my husband and I are ready to call the attorney general!!!!  I called att last night about it and was told oh ...you shouldn't change your data plan unless you want to be charged twice.  WHAT?  How can that be allowed? The person who "helped" me was not very bright so I am not sure at all if she knew what she was talking about though.

Message 6 of 21
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

ATT service is billed one month ahead.  So if you change mid cycle yes they need to charge you 90 bucks for the prior month.  Then on the same bill you would be charged 130 for the next month.  The dates are right next to the charges.

Message 7 of 21
Contributor

Hey, i have a problem and need help, i first bought a 15 dollar card to see how the 2 daily plan was and it was eh, i just bought a 25 dollar card so that i can get service for a whole month, but the thing is that i forgot to change the plan, so now i have 23 dollars left and 2 dollars are gonna be taken away every day, if i change to the 20 dollar unlimited texting plus 10 cent per call plan do i lose my 23?? 

Message 8 of 21
Contributor

Hi, I also had a similarly unexpected spike in my bill, in my case $88 more than expected, when I changed data plans. The prorated charges appeared to be part of the problem initially, but the actual charges themselves were applied correctly.  However, after some very careful accounting, I discovered that the discounts I was normally awarded were not being accounted for accurately in the credits and charges (error worth $54), and also were not being applied properly to just that particular month's bill (error worth $30), then of course my taxes were higher by $4 (hence the $88). AT&T credited my account accordingly. I find it hard to imagine this hasn't happened before, so I hope this help others. 

Best, Scott

Message 9 of 21
Contributor

I m not an AT&T user but have the same issue w/sprint & saw this on the web as i am also looking for an answer to this pro-rate business. If they can prorate my fees why not give me the prorated & promised discounts too? So i am on chat with sprint everyday. Is this all legal anyway? Did we all just sign something unknowingly? They are all screwing us. We changed plans before & i don't see any refunds at the end? They just tack on more pro-rated charges to confuse you! Super frustrated. But i m not keeping silent!

Message 10 of 21
Tutor

This is a scam.  I had an ATT plan (no contract) for 113/mo, I switched to a 170/mo plan.  The said the plan would be prorated (which has a different meaning to ATT).   What was my next bill?  298!!!!   They said future bills will be 170/mo.  They told me if I had switched on the 1st, the bill would have been 170 (or if I had back dated the change).   None of this was said before switching.   Prorating the charge would have ended up with an amount between the two bills.  I'll let you know how arbitration goes.

Message 11 of 21
ACE - Master

@billak wrote:

This is a scam.  I had an ATT plan (no contract) for 113/mo, I switched to a 170/mo plan.  The said the plan would be prorated (which has a different meaning to ATT).   What was my next bill?  298!!!!   They said future bills will be 170/mo.  They told me if I had switched on the 1st, the bill would have been 170 (or if I had back dated the change).   None of this was said before switching.   Prorating the charge would have ended up with an amount between the two bills.  I'll let you know how arbitration goes.

What were the "extra" charges for? Is it possible you lost a discount that was prorated as well? Did you change to the plan you intended to?

There's not charges just thrown on a bill, they are always labeled. If you look at the bill you're probably find that it's either correct or you'll be able to communicate what the issue is in a way to get a credit. Either way, I don't think arbitration is going to be a path you want to take for one month's bill. 

Message 12 of 21
Tutor

Arbitration would be the only way to force a change that would be meaningful to everyone.  I'm very clear on the plan I changed to and the charges.   I recorded chat logs and interactions with billing supervisor (who threatened me not to ask for billing corrections again and hung up on me).

In what math world could you "prorate" a plan and have the amount be greater than the cost of both plans combined!?!

Again, I was switching from one ATT plan to another and under no contract.   If this policy was explained, who wouldn't wait or back date the change?

Even the ATT staff in the local store agreed the bill was wrong.

Message 13 of 21
Contributor

I suggest you call and demand a refund for the overcharge. They provided
one for me. I am saddened to hear this is still happening to people. They
will try to explain it away as "prorated" but hold your ground. Good luck
Message 14 of 21
ACE - Sage

@billak

The charges would be valid.  The payment you make today is for service over the next 3 weeks.  If you change plans today, you not only get the increased rate for the next bill cycle, but the plan increase for the next 3 weeks.  But you already paid the lower rate.  So the next bill has the difference for this month and the increase to the new amount.  

Example:  

old data plan $60 per month.  You already paid the bill for this cycle    

You increase to a 100 plan.  You back date the plan to prevent overage.  Difference $40

Next bill you will pay a total of $140 for data plan. $40 for the month you back dated because you only paid $60 for that month.  And the new rate for this month. 

However. . .   A jump from $113 to $170, and a nearly $300 bill does not compute.   Without more information I am very skeptical.  I ball park around $227 ($57 difference added to $170).   Around a $75 difference unaccounted for.  

Did you add something else?  New phones?

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 15 of 21
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support