Need help understanding your bill?
tswain's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, January 29th, 2015 9:41 PM

Changing plan charge?

I've only had service with AT&T for a month, two weeks after I got started I realized we needed more data, so I went from 3 gigs to 30... It's $100 more monthly and I get a $90 charge just to change it? Can someone tell me why this wasn't anywhere to be seen while I was changing it, no warning at all.. just added to my bill.. It did not say anywhere that I would get charged for it, I went back after I was billed to check and it's not even in the paragraphs of random data charging.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

9 years ago

If you change mid-billing cycle, there is a pro-rated charge for the change. You were not charged $90 plus the $100, you were charged $90 for the 30 gigs for the remainder of that billing cycle.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

@tswain wrote:
I've only had service with AT&T for a month, two weeks after I got started I realized we needed more data, so I went from 3 gigs to 30... It's $100 more monthly and I get a $90 charge just to change it? Can someone tell me why this wasn't anywhere to be seen while I was changing it, no warning at all.. just added to my bill.. It did not say anywhere that I would get charged for it, I went back after I was billed to check and it's not even in the paragraphs of random data charging.

There is no charge to change your plan. Most likely the $90 is a pro-rated charge for the increase from 3 to 30GB.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

It's not pro-rating if you get chargedthe $130 for the 30 gigs of data, plus the $90. My bill shouldn't be $320.00

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

Actually, it could be. You need to look at the dates for each charge, you may getting the $90 prorated charge for the billing period when you made the change and the $130 charge is for the next month's worth of data. You should also be getting a credit for the unused portion of the 3GB plan.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I have the same issue!!!! I was told oh you can just go into myatt.com and you can change your data anytime in your billing cycle.  When you do though watch your bill skyrocket...my bill doubled as a result.  Their bill is so complicated with all the prorated charges and credits. I think it is intentional that the credits are not next to the applicable charge so you can determine what you are actually paying.  It is so bad my husband and I are ready to call the attorney general!!!!  I called att last night about it and was told oh ...you shouldn't change your data plan unless you want to be charged twice.  WHAT?  How can that be allowed? The person who "helped" me was not very bright so I am not sure at all if she knew what she was talking about though.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

ATT service is billed one month ahead.  So if you change mid cycle yes they need to charge you 90 bucks for the prior month.  Then on the same bill you would be charged 130 for the next month.  The dates are right next to the charges.

• 

1 Message

@GLIMMERMAN76 that's not true, I changed from directv to uverse mid cycle, They told me it will be the same charge every month, I've been paying the same amount and still owe $100 for pro-rated charges. It makes no sense.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

@lisboeta

Considerimg my post is 5 years old your right they changed the policy about 2 years ago.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Hey, i have a problem and need help, i first bought a 15 dollar card to see how the 2 daily plan was and it was eh, i just bought a 25 dollar card so that i can get service for a whole month, but the thing is that i forgot to change the plan, so now i have 23 dollars left and 2 dollars are gonna be taken away every day, if i change to the 20 dollar unlimited texting plus 10 cent per call plan do i lose my 23?? 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Hi, I also had a similarly unexpected spike in my bill, in my case $88 more than expected, when I changed data plans. The prorated charges appeared to be part of the problem initially, but the actual charges themselves were applied correctly.  However, after some very careful accounting, I discovered that the discounts I was normally awarded were not being accounted for accurately in the credits and charges (error worth $54), and also were not being applied properly to just that particular month's bill (error worth $30), then of course my taxes were higher by $4 (hence the $88). AT&T credited my account accordingly. I find it hard to imagine this hasn't happened before, so I hope this help others. 

Best, Scott

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I m not an AT&T user but have the same issue w/sprint & saw this on the web as i am also looking for an answer to this pro-rate business. If they can prorate my fees why not give me the prorated & promised discounts too? So i am on chat with sprint everyday. Is this all legal anyway? Did we all just sign something unknowingly? They are all screwing us. We changed plans before & i don't see any refunds at the end? They just tack on more pro-rated charges to confuse you! Super frustrated. But i m not keeping silent!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

This is a scam.  I had an ATT plan (no contract) for 113/mo, I switched to a 170/mo plan.  The said the plan would be prorated (which has a different meaning to ATT).   What was my next bill?  298!!!!   They said future bills will be 170/mo.  They told me if I had switched on the 1st, the bill would have been 170 (or if I had back dated the change).   None of this was said before switching.   Prorating the charge would have ended up with an amount between the two bills.  I'll let you know how arbitration goes.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.