Need help understanding your bill?
lrhodes73's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, August 17th, 2017 9:02 PM

Cancellation of Wireless Services

I am in the process of relocating outside of the U.S. and will need to cancel my cell service in the future.  I am trying to budget about what I can expect my final bill to be since I will be cancelling early.  Also since I have an iphone that I am making monthly payments on within my bill will I need to return the phone or just pay the remainder that I owe on  the phone? 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@lrhodes73 Bill for the phone will be whatever you owe still (no returning).

If you want to use this phone somewhere else (like overseas), I would recommend paying it off ASAP(!) and then unlocking it (which should only take a few days, but sometimes takes a few weeks). Once you cancel, it takes even longer to unlock as you have to wait for the last bill (which is MAILED to you)

There is no plan proration on the last bill (most of the carriers do not prorate). If you need to cancel a few days into the cycle and have a 30GB plan, I'd recommend lowering the plan to what you'd use during that period.

You could always cancel the plan (near the end of the month) and then just do AT&T prepaid for the last month you are here.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Your final month of service is not prorated so try to cancel near the end of your bill cycle. You do not return your phone, you own it. You will have to pay the balance of what you owe. If you time your cancellation right, your final bill should only be for what you owe on the phone and have no service charges. If you plan to use your phone when you relocate, you may wish to pay it off now so you can get it unlocked sooner. If you wait for the final bill to pay it off, that will just delay how soon you can unlock the phone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.