Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Cancel AT & T wireless

Highlighted
Contributor

Cancel AT & T wireless

I would like to cancel AT & T wireless since today is the last day of the billing cycle but their call center is closed.

I dont want them to start a new cycle tomorrow since they would not prorate and refund the money.

Since I am still in my current bill cycle is there anything that I could do to show my intent to cancel the service before the new cycle starts? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Sage

Re: Cancel AT & T wireless

Nope. The only way to cancel is call or go to an ATT store.  I’m assuming you’re postpaid.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by gottipat
‎11-06-2017 6:16 AM

We always advise to cancel or port two or three days before the end of your bill cycle to avoid situations like this. Sorry to say but I think you are on the hook for another month.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 6
Contributor

Just an update to readers of this thread.. We visited an AT & T store close by on First day of the billing cycle and they said to call customer service and say "retentions" and that department is going to help. However we choose to stay for one more month to port the numbers to other carrier before cancelling the service with AT & T (since after cancellation, you loose your numbers.).

Message 4 of 6
ACE - Sage

@gottipat  Wise choice.   All carriers bill month to month.  Your new carrier will have the same policy.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 5 of 6
ACE - Master

@gottipat wrote:

Just an update to readers of this thread.. We visited an AT & T store close by on First day of the billing cycle and they said to call customer service and say "retentions" and that department is going to help. However we choose to stay for one more month to port the numbers to other carrier before cancelling the service with AT & T (since after cancellation, you loose your numbers.).

If you are going to port your numbers to another provider, you won't need to do anything with AT&T**. The other provider will submit the request to "take" the numbers. When the port completes, your AT&T account will close**. To be safe, you should initiate this process a few days before the cycle ends. 

**Only as far as those numbers are concerned. If you have additional lines you aren't porting and do not want to keep, a tablet, or any other service not related to the ported numbers, you will need to contact AT&T to cancel only those services. 

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support