Need help understanding your bill?
Tdam3607's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, March 17th, 2019 1:55 PM

Buy one get one promo not honored

In July 11 2018 went to ATT store to add a new line and was told of a new promo for a buy one get one free IPhone with 24 month next contract, so decided to use promo, but didn’t get the 2nd phone at the time because my husband wasn’t with and wanted to use promo to upgrade his phone was told would still get the promo just do it with in 30 days.  On 7/22 added upgraded phone with 24 month next contract.  Fast forward 8 months later after 2 calls and 2 visit to ATT store now being told I didn’t qualify for the promo because it ended on 7/13, 9 days before we added the upgraded phone.  Was told by ATT customer service and retention department we don’t go by what you were told, only by what we see in the rules.  Was never told had to add second phone by 7/13 and ATT will not give me a copy of the “Rules” to see where it states this “Rule”.  Has anyone else had this problem?  This how ATT treats a 20 year customer with 7 phone lines, Direct TV and internet service.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Yes, I am having the same issue. I was pitched the BOGO and told I had 30 days to purchase the second phone (my wife had already purchased a phone). I purchased the 2nd phone 30 days after my wife had purchased her phone. I then called to confirm the BOGO and was told the 2nd phone had to be purchased within 14 days. Excuse me!!! After 2 additional calls and more than 90 minutes on the phone with multiple AT&T representatives, I was told the BOGO would be honored.

I expected to start seeing my credits after 3 months of billing... 4 months after purchasing the second phone, there were no credits so I called again. This time I was told the BOGO would not be honored, but I could reduce my service plan to save some money. Rep didn't understand that I didn't want a lower level of service and that this wasn't a satisfactory solution. Then he advised me that it was a nice day outside and not to let this bad experience ruin my day. Thanks, but I didn't call you for life lessons! 

We are also long time AT&T customers with multiple lines, but we will be switching to Verizon.

Bottom line, don't trust what you are told by customer service. If you don't get the phones at the same time, chances are they will not honor the BOGO even if someone tells you they will.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Tdam3607 wrote:

In July 11 2018 went to ATT store to add a new line and was told of a new promo for a buy one get one free IPhone with 24 month next contract, so decided to use promo, but didn’t get the 2nd phone at the time because my husband wasn’t with and wanted to use promo to upgrade his phone was told would still get the promo just do it with in 30 days.  On 7/22 added upgraded phone with 24 month next contract.  Fast forward 8 months later after 2 calls and 2 visit to ATT store now being told I didn’t qualify for the promo because it ended on 7/13, 9 days before we added the upgraded phone.  Was told by ATT customer service and retention department we don’t go by what you were told, only by what we see in the rules.  Was never told had to add second phone by 7/13 and ATT will not give me a copy of the “Rules” to see where it states this “Rule”.  Has anyone else had this problem?  This how ATT treats a 20 year customer with 7 phone lines, Direct TV and internet service.  

Dates are as linked.   Offer ended 7/13.    Offers end without notice, which is why buying 2 phones and adding a line for the second phone should be one transaction.

https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/consumer/help/wireless/pdf/Wireless-BOGO-Offer-2018.pdf

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@JLB1973 wrote:

Yes, I am having the same issue. I was pitched the BOGO and told I had 30 days to purchase the second phone (my wife had already purchased a phone). I purchased the 2nd phone 30 days after my wife had purchased her phone. I then called to confirm the BOGO and was told the 2nd phone had to be purchased within 14 days. Excuse me!!! After 2 additional calls and more than 90 minutes on the phone with multiple AT&T representatives, I was told the BOGO would be honored.

I expected to start seeing my credits after 3 months of billing... 4 months after purchasing the second phone, there were no credits so I called again. This time I was told the BOGO would not be honored, but I could reduce my service plan to save some money. Rep didn't understand that I didn't want a lower level of service and that this wasn't a satisfactory solution. Then he advised me that it was a nice day outside and not to let this bad experience ruin my day. Thanks, but I didn't call you for life lessons! 

We are also long time AT&T customers with multiple lines, but we will be switching to Verizon.

Bottom line, don't trust what you are told by customer service. If you don't get the phones at the same time, chances are they will not honor the BOGO even if someone tells you they will.

Deals change often and end without notice.  The return period is 14 days for consumer accounts, 30 for business accounts.   The reason ‘return date’ matters;  purchases and new line should be one transaction.  Within 14 days a return is processed on the original phone, then 2 purchases and new line done at once.  

FYI Verizon has the same rules, read the deals and don’t try to get around them,never works 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance,

not sure what purpose your response serves. i  wasn't looking for clatification on the specifics of the avail deals and already stated that both purchases should be one transaction. my complaint, like Tdam3607 is that customer service is providing bad information. i'm switching to Verizon bc of the poor level of service provided by at&t, ie customer service reps provided bad information on multiples occassions, offered remedies that didn't address my issue and were rather condescending on top of it.

maybe Verizon will be exactly the same, but they will get my business for now. and if they provide service that is truthful, they will keep my business.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

5 years ago

@Tdam3607 wrote:

The BOGO promo that ended on the 13th required TV service (https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/consumer/help/landingpage/offers/Bundled-BOGO-July-December-2018.pdf); the new promo that started on the 14th did not. To me, I think that as long as you qualified for the original promo (i.e. you have TV with AT&T), AT&T should honor the promo since you purchased the second phone during a less restrictive promo. 

File a complaint with the BBB and frame it in that light. AT&T's technically correct, but I think you can make a good case to have an exception made. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@MicCheck wrote:

@Tdam3607 wrote:

The BOGO promo that ended on the 13th required TV service (https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/consumer/help/landingpage/offers/Bundled-BOGO-July-December-2018.pdf); the new promo that started on the 14th did not. To me, I think that as long as you qualified for the original promo (i.e. you have TV with AT&T), AT&T should honor the promo since you purchased the second phone during a less restrictive promo. 

File a complaint with the BBB and frame it in that light. AT&T's technically correct, but I think you can make a good case to have an exception made. 

Phones must be purchased during the same promotion period.  

This is why the 14 day return  (30 days for business) period is important.   If a phone bought on the 11th can be processed as a return, then a new purchased, add a line and second phone purchased, the deal goes through.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.