Need help understanding your bill?
cdubb75's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, May 20th, 2017 5:42 PM

Browsing and technology category in data usage

I'm trying to figure out what my daughter is doing that is using so much data...what is included in the "technology" category of data usage?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@cdubb75 If you look on her phone it should give you a breakdown by app as to exactly which apps are using the most data.

Those categories are very vague. Could be educational technology or solar powered cars or something related to minecraft. It would just depend on who they get their filter/category lists from and how they categorized things.

As a technology director for schools I saw how useless those categories could actually be. I'd be a hassle just to find tech answers as many tech sites just qualified as "blogs" which were blocked by default in some districts.  S

Scholar

• 

105 Messages

7 years ago

My daughter was using Google Maps and it was always set to run in the background. That was 74% of her data usage. We changed it in her phone setting to only run when in use. I use Waze and it was set to run always and I barely use .05 G a month. She claims she wasn't using it that much but her phone stated it was using the most data.

She was also streaming music at a work site that had no wifi.  We stopped that. I don't mind paying for the phone and service but you would think someone could get by on 10G a month of data when they don't need a phone for work.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.