Need help understanding your bill?
jteters's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, August 1st, 2018 5:20 PM

Bought unlocked iphone, now locked to AT&T system for 6 months

I bought an unlocked iPhone at Walmart. I have an AT&T monthly rechargeable sim to use when I'm in the States. I installed the AT&T sim to use for my last week in the US before leaving the country. When I tried to switch to the international sim, I found out that AT&T locked the phone to their system for 6 months before I can get it unlocked. 

• Since I paid full price up front for the phone, how is it that they have the authority to lock my phone to their system?
  • Also, there must be some greater benefit I am getting back from them if I'm obliged to use them? Did being locked to their system did they partially pay for the phone I received?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@jteters

The problem is Walmart does not sell unlocked iPhones they are part of the US flex re seller program which locks the phone to the first sim installed in the device.  You will have to go thru tech support to get the phone unlocked and they may ask for the receipt from Walmart.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Nope...  Att is bound to unlock phones payed for at full retail and not labeled as att prepaid or gophone.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@jteters

what model phone is it and how much did you pay for it?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Hi—

iPhone 7—$598

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

@jteters

The problem is Walmart does not sell unlocked iPhones they are part of the US flex re seller program which locks the phone to the first sim installed in the device.  You will have to go thru tech support to get the phone unlocked and they may ask for the receipt from Walmart.

@GLIMMERMAN76, the OP would still have to have service for 6 months, right? Basically, since they put the AT&T sim card in first, it's just like they had bought an AT&T locked phone from an AT&T store, so they have to meet all of the unlocking requirements.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

Nope...  Att is bound to unlock phones payed for at full retail and not labeled as att prepaid or gophone.

Good to know. Thanks!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the reply. It took a few calls to AT&T and one to Apple before it was accomplished. Your post gave me a bit of hope to keep persistent with the problem until I talked to a tech support person who understood my problem and brought closure. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@jteters Getting to the right tech person that can take care of the issue is usually an issue. If you would care to share exactly how you got to the right person, that may help others with the same issue.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

It took 4 phone calls to finally get to the solution. The first person told me I would not be able to unlock it until a 6 month period was over. I also applied to unlock the phone using the browser and the reply I received also said I would have to wait 6 months.

After Glimmerman76's post, I thought I would give it another try. The second person told me that the phone could be unlocked, but that Apple would have to do it-I think this was completely wrong since I was told Apple that they don't unlock phones.

Apple did give me a ticket number for me and recorded the conversation I had with them.

On the third call to AT&T I told them that I had already talked to Apple and that they said the phone should be unlocked. The tech opened up a ticket for me and sent the unlock request in for me. I think if I had asked the first person at AT&T to send in an unlock request for me I may have avoided the multiple calls.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.