Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Bogus Upgrade Fee

Contributor

Bogus Upgrade Fee

I have been with AT&T since 2015 when I bought a Galaxy S6; so clearly that phone has been paid for years ago. Earlier this July (2019) my phone died - motherboard gone. I had no choice but to buy a new phone. I received my first bill and notice I've been charged a $30 upgrade fee. I called and spoke w/ three customer service people, none of which could explain why I had an upgrade fee, they just kept saying over and over again that it's a legitimate charge. The only understanding I could get was that - I, A LOYAL AND LONG TERM CUSTOMER - am being charged for the privilege of  being able to buy a $900 phone from AT&T and continue to pay a monthly bill. I'm not on contract - I didn't receive a new phone for free as part of some promotional deal. Its not as if I could have purchased a phone equivalent to my 2015 Samsung. Any device would be an upgrade but how in any way have you as a business upgraded my service? I want this waived, its bad customer relations. When its time to replace the phones of my family members...we will take our business elsewhere for no additional bogus fees. You could at least be honest up front; I had to wait for my bill to know this was even a thing. 

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎08-14-2019 10:24 AM

Re: Bogus Upgrade Fee

Perhaps you didn’t know since it’s been so long since you bought a phone but the upgrade fee has been there as long as I’ve been a customer which is going on 17 years. The amount has changed several times over the years but it has always been there.  I think they are very up front about it so not sure why you were surprised by it. They used to regularly waive the upgrade fee in the 2 year contract years, not anymore. Even ATT employees don’t get it waived. You don’t have to buy from ATT but be aware that the upgrade fee will be charged no matter who you buy it from if you buy it on a Next plan. The way to avoid the upgrade fee is to buy a sim free phone from someone else. I bought a sim free iPhone XR from Apple, no upgrade fee.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 9
ACE - Sage

You’re pretty much paying $30 for getting a Sim card that’s all set up for you to use. 

If you don’t want to pay the $30 upgrade fee, then don’t buy a phone from AT&T.     If you pay full price for phones you can walk into a place like Best Buy, select the branded phone, tell them you’re a prepaid customer and you will not pay the upgrade fee. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9
ACE - Master

@MyCoinsCount wrote:

Any device would be an upgrade

Well, it seems like you've answered your own concern. 

but how in any way have you as a business upgraded my service?

Your service has been upgraded numerous times over the past 4 years and, depending on the plans you've selected, your monthly cost could easily have gone down. 

I want this waived, its bad customer relations. When its time to replace the phones of my family members...we will take our business elsewhere for no additional bogus fees. You could at least be honest up front; I had to wait for my bill to know this was even a thing. 

Message 4 of 9
ACE - Sage

@MyCoinsCount wrote:

I have been with AT&T since 2015 when I bought a Galaxy S6; so clearly that phone has been paid for years ago. Earlier this July (2019) my phone died - motherboard gone. I had no choice but to buy a new phone. I received my first bill and notice I've been charged a $30 upgrade fee. I called and spoke w/ three customer service people, none of which could explain why I had an upgrade fee, they just kept saying over and over again that it's a legitimate charge. The only understanding I could get was that - I, A LOYAL AND LONG TERM CUSTOMER - am being charged for the privilege of  being able to buy a $900 phone from AT&T and continue to pay a monthly bill. I'm not on contract - I didn't receive a new phone for free as part of some promotional deal. Its not as if I could have purchased a phone equivalent to my 2015 Samsung. Any device would be an upgrade but how in any way have you as a business upgraded my service? I want this waived, its bad customer relations. When its time to replace the phones of my family members...we will take our business elsewhere for no additional bogus fees. You could at least be honest up front; I had to wait for my bill to know this was even a thing. 

Riiiiight.  Because no other carrier charges upgrade fees.  Verizon charges $40 activation, $20/40 upgrade.  T-mo charges $15.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 5 of 9
Contributor

You all must be paid to tell customers to accept "whatever".

And if not, you all need to take an "I can" approach to life.

I received my bill credit for the entire amount that I requested.  

Message 6 of 9
ACE - Sage

We are customers, we don’t get paid anything.   Just because you got a credit, doesn’t mean it works for everyone.  

Message 7 of 9
ACE - Expert

@MyCoinsCount wrote:

And it does not mean on review they wont take it away or that they didnt flag your account for next time.  My Fan discount gets my fees waived.

Message 8 of 9
ACE - Master

@MyCoinsCount wrote:

Great! I have better things to do with my time than quibble of small charges for services I request, but if getting a bill credit makes you happy, then more power to you.

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support