Blocking Data = Blocking Texts as well?

Blocking Data = Blocking Texts as well?

I want to block data usage on one of the phones under the FamilyPlan. I call AT&T and request it, and they grant it.

Does this mean it'll block regular texts as well? Not picture/audio texts, just regular letters/numbers-texts.

If so, how can I make it so that it only blocks data, and not regular texts, since the plan has the $30/mo unlimited texting plan?

Message 1 of 6 (10,587 Views)
Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author Printerscape
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Blocking Data = Blocking Texts as well?

A data block would not block regular text messages. You would be fine for those. However, multimedia messages (such as picture/video/audio) would be blocked/unretrieveable. That would probably be fine for you, though.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 6 (10,573 Views)
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author Printerscape
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Printerscape wrote:

I want to block data usage on one of the phones under the FamilyPlan. I call AT&T and request it, and they grant it.

Does this mean it'll block regular texts as well? Not picture/audio texts, just regular letters/numbers-texts.

If so, how can I make it so that it only blocks data, and not regular texts, since the plan has the $30/mo unlimited texting plan?

This is what my wife has on her line -- data block only, but regular text messages work fine. All she did was ask for a data block. Make sure you don't ask for messaging block.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6 (10,568 Views)
Contributor

Is it possible to do data block online?  And if so, why NOT AT&T?  I have a business account and don't want any phone that doesn't have a data plan using data.  This should be a feature you can just turn on and off per phone when needed.

Message 4 of 6 (5,697 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Now I have that same blocking plan for my phone but will that carry over to an iPhone? I don't want to have the data on the iPhone and just the wireless or will i still have to have a required data plan?
Message 5 of 6 (5,024 Views)
Master

ubermae wrote:
Now I have that same blocking plan for my phone but will that carry over to an iPhone? I don't want to have the data on the iPhone and just the wireless or will i still have to have a required data plan?

If you have an iPhone on the network, you MUST have a data plan!  

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 6 of 6 (5,021 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.