Block Data to Smart Phone, without required data plan.

Contributor

Block Data to Smart Phone, without required data plan.

I've recently been going back and forth with AT&T asking them to block data to my iPhone. It is possible, they have done it. But the 'system' automatically detects my phone and reverts it to a data plan I do not want. Their argument that I will accrue a large bill is moot, because I want the data blocked from their side, the towers. Again, this is technically possible it has been done on my line, and I'm sick of people telling me it's not. AT&T removing the block andarbitrarily adding a data plan to my account is theft. 

I want data blocked to my phone, and I don't want to call AT&T every week to maintain. I'm not using celular data, I don't want celular data sent to/from my phone, block it from the tower. Stop lying about this capability. 

Message 1 of 24 (18,268 Views)

Re: Block Data to Smart Phone, without required data plan.

A little bit more information on Data Block on Smartphones on AT&T's network:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Billing/There-is-a-way-to-block-data-permanently-on-a-smartphone/m...

harryspar, that's actually not a bad idea. In seriousness, the IMEI wouldn't be recognized by AT&T because it's from another company (such as T-Mobile or Ting). It would show up on AT&T's end like Unsupported device or something like that.

Then the system will probably not enforce the data plan on the device.

May I ask how long you've done that for?

Software development
Mobile software development
WiFi security
Graphic design
3D animation
Message 16 of 24 (16,022 Views)

5 months.

I've actually called ATT about it and they told me 3 different times that if the system says Unrecognised Device I could put the $15 unlimited data on it, but warned me that if I use smartphone sized servings of data they would take it away. I didn't feel right doing that, but have data off instead, saving $20 a month and staying on wifi.

Your mileage may vary. See howardforums for some other people's experiences with unlocked Nexus devices. It also seems like it has to be a device not carried by ATT.
Message 17 of 24 (16,004 Views)
Expert

harryspar wrote:
5 months.

I've actually called ATT about it and they told me 3 different times that if the system says Unrecognised Device I could put the $15 unlimited data on it, but warned me that if I use smartphone sized servings of data they would take it away. I didn't feel right doing that, but have data off instead, saving $20 a month and staying on wifi.

Your mileage may vary. See howardforums for some other people's experiences with unlocked Nexus devices. It also seems like it has to be a device not carried by ATT.

remember if they ever do recognize it the plan will be altered to teh correct one automaticly and no more working the system will occur

Message 18 of 24 (15,965 Views)

Yes. That has occured, I believe, with the unlocked Nexus phones. But my Droid 3 is a much smaller target - there are very few people who have gotten them to work on ATT so it isn't worth thier time to try to get all the IMEI's.

Time will tell. But I informed them already thrice and that's as far as I will go to help them fleece me. My conscience and my wallet are very comfortable with this arrangement.

Message 19 of 24 (15,922 Views)
Tutor

File a complaint with the FTC.  ATT is requiring data plans when they are not necessary to use the phone.  you can get an Ipod that will have most of the features of the iphone, wifi, and computer hook ups. Then you can get a "brick phone" for only about $20 a month.  There is no technical reason for a phone to "require" a data plan to function.

Message 20 of 24 (5,154 Views)
Tutor

Go to the FTC.gov web site and file a complaint if you want cellphones without manditory data plans.  This is just like digital TV. Now that all TV is digital can companies still require extra fees for access?  Soon all phones will be smartphones.  This is just a way for ATT to charge double for data.  More in the basic service fee and then again by having you buy a data plan.

Buy an unlocked GSM phone and put your SIM card in it and off you go.

Message 21 of 24 (5,152 Views)
Tutor

You can put your SIM card into most any four band GSM phone and it will work.  ATT is requiring data plans because they gave away too many iphones.

Message 22 of 24 (5,151 Views)
Highlighted

TiredMom2 wrote:

File a complaint with the FTC.  ATT is requiring data plans when they are not necessary to use the phone.  you can get an Ipod that will have most of the features of the iphone, wifi, and computer hook ups. Then you can get a "brick phone" for only about $20 a month.  There is no technical reason for a phone to "require" a data plan to function.

hahaha That is kinda funny.

Oh wait you're serious... ... still very funny.

Let me just say that it's definitely a waste of time; here's why:

• All other cell phone carriers require data plans
  • Cell phone companies can require what they want as long as you contractually agree to them (which you have by signing them)

If you don't like this... .. get a basic phone. Done. Simple. Nothing else to talk about. Case closed.

Software development
Mobile software development
WiFi security
Graphic design
3D animation
Message 23 of 24 (5,122 Views)
Expert

TiredMom2 wrote:

might want to take a look at the last post date that you replied to, it is about 2 years old, as far as complaining to the ftc, good luck on that, dont want a required data plan, use a gophone plan

Message 24 of 24 (5,095 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.