Need help understanding your bill?
edrftr's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, October 12th, 2012 9:45 PM

Block Data to Smart Phone, without required data plan.

I've recently been going back and forth with AT&T asking them to block data to my iPhone. It is possible, they have done it. But the 'system' automatically detects my phone and reverts it to a data plan I do not want. Their argument that I will accrue a large bill is moot, because I want the data blocked from their side, the towers. Again, this is technically possible it has been done on my line, and I'm sick of people telling me it's not. AT&T removing the block andarbitrarily adding a data plan to my account is theft. 

I want data blocked to my phone, and I don't want to call AT&T every week to maintain. I'm not using celular data, I don't want celular data sent to/from my phone, block it from the tower. Stop lying about this capability. 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

You can put your SIM card into most any four band GSM phone and it will work.  ATT is requiring data plans because they gave away too many iphones.

Scholar

• 

121 Messages

10 years ago

@TiredMom2 wrote:

File a complaint with the FTC.  ATT is requiring data plans when they are not necessary to use the phone.  you can get an Ipod that will have most of the features of the iphone, wifi, and computer hook ups. Then you can get a "brick phone" for only about $20 a month.  There is no technical reason for a phone to "require" a data plan to function.

hahaha That is kinda funny.

Oh wait you're serious... ... still very funny.

Let me just say that it's definitely a waste of time; here's why:

• All other cell phone carriers require data plans
  • Cell phone companies can require what they want as long as you contractually agree to them (which you have by signing them)

If you don't like this... .. get a basic phone. Done. Simple. Nothing else to talk about. Case closed.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@TiredMom2 wrote:

File a complaint with the FTC.  ATT is requiring data plans when they are not necessary to use the phone.  you can get an Ipod that will have most of the features of the iphone, wifi, and computer hook ups. Then you can get a "brick phone" for only about $20 a month.  There is no technical reason for a phone to "require" a data plan to function.

might want to take a look at the last post date that you replied to, it is about 2 years old, as far as complaining to the ftc, good luck on that, dont want a required data plan, use a gophone plan

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.