Need help understanding your bill?
edrftr's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, October 12th, 2012 9:45 PM

Block Data to Smart Phone, without required data plan.

I've recently been going back and forth with AT&T asking them to block data to my iPhone. It is possible, they have done it. But the 'system' automatically detects my phone and reverts it to a data plan I do not want. Their argument that I will accrue a large bill is moot, because I want the data blocked from their side, the towers. Again, this is technically possible it has been done on my line, and I'm sick of people telling me it's not. AT&T removing the block andarbitrarily adding a data plan to my account is theft. 

I want data blocked to my phone, and I don't want to call AT&T every week to maintain. I'm not using celular data, I don't want celular data sent to/from my phone, block it from the tower. Stop lying about this capability. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@satyr9 wrote:

If this is the case, then the AT&T shopping pages should add the formerly prominent mention of QUALIFYING DATA PLAN REQUIRED for each of the smartphones in the listings.

Look again, all smartphones does have that requirement listed

data requirement.PNG

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

13K Messages

11 years ago

can data be blocked, yes, will data be blocked possibly, are they required to block data for any smart phone or even a smart phone, no, why, because when buying and or using any iPhone and or any other smartphone you agree to AT&T's terms and conditions of service regardless if you have read them or not that you will have data as long as you have and or are using any type of smartphone on their network, if you do not wish to have and pay for a data package you can not use a smartphone on the AT&T network.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

11 years ago

Like wilcre said, what you are requesting is physically possible. However, AT&T doesn't allow that to happen. If someone did it ffor you, they broke the rules and your account was changed back to the terms you agreed to (i.e. if you use a smarphone, you'll pay for a data plan.

If you don't like it, don't use a smat phone.

Mentor

• 

153 Messages

11 years ago

If this is the case, then the AT&T shopping pages should add the formerly prominent mention of QUALIFYING DATA PLAN REQUIRED for each of the smartphones in the listings.

Mentor

• 

153 Messages

11 years ago

Check this page:  http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/cellphones.html

All the phone boxes used to have that message (QUALIFYING MONTHLY DATA PLAN REQUIREDin prominent bold type.

Mentor

• 

153 Messages

11 years ago

You posted an image from the actual specific-device page.  I was talking about the actual shopping/compare front-landing page.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@satyr9 wrote:

You posted an image from the actual specific-device page.  I was talking about the actual shopping/compare front-landing page.

I posted the page that you would be in if you where actually going to obtain the phone, which in the retail world id the only web page that matters, comparisin page compare product, not requirements. You cannot complete a new order for a smartphone without adding a required data plan - that in itself shoudl be a clue the well, maybe a data plan IS required for a smartphone. maybe theyr should overlay the picture with Collibra 20 Point, emphasized type font "NOYE A DATA PLAN IS EQUIRED WITH THIS DEVICE" with circles and arrows and a paragragh below explaining everything in detail. You want the functionality - then expect to pay a premium.

Mentor

• 

153 Messages

11 years ago

my only point was that there used to be one message-- MONTHLY DATA PLAN REQUIRED --on every device requiring it right at the front page of the shopping page (with the [ ] comparison boxes) --which is most useful to those who do not want smartphones--since merely clicking on "quick messaging phones" does not show all the phones that do not require a data plan. it would save shoppers the time from having to sort through all the phones.

Former Employee

• 

65 Messages

11 years ago

It is no longer possible to block data on a smart phone. ATT is aware of the practice and has made changes. Read your terms of service before getting a phone. problem solved.

Mentor

• 

153 Messages

11 years ago

satyr9 wrote:

my only point was that there used to be one message-- MONTHLY DATA PLAN REQUIRED --on every device requiring it right at the front page of the shopping page (with the [ ] comparison boxes) --which is most useful to those who do not want smartphones--since merely clicking on "quick messaging phones" does not show all the phones that do not require a data plan. it would save shoppers the time from having to sort through all the phones.

THANK YOU for listening/reading my request.

I now see that the

Basic Phones (no data plan required) shopping/sorting category has now been added.

MUCH THANKS. Heart

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.