Need help understanding your bill?
tpb1962's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, May 28th, 2013 12:59 AM

BlackBerry 8310 required data plan.

ATT customer since 2006. Now telling me I have to pay a $30.00 a month data plan on a 8+ year old BB 8310. 8310 a Smartphone? Are you kidding me!

It will cost me a bit but I'm leaving ATT and headed to Walmart plan. I suggest you do the same.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

Tpb1962, be happy that you got away with not having a data plan for as long as you have. All smartphones require a data plan... only prepaid smartphones do not, as long as they are used only on wifi.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

"It will cost me a bit but I'm leaving ATT and headed to Walmart plan. I suggest you do the same."

I've been an AT&T Wireless customer since 2001, before Cingular took over, then back to AT&T, and have no intentions on going to an inferior Walmart plan/service. I suggest you follow up, in great length, on customer reviews of StraightTalk.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

11 years ago

@ixnine wrote:
"It will cost me a bit but I'm leaving ATT and headed to Walmart plan. I suggest you do the same."

I've been an AT&T Wireless customer since 2001, before Cingular took over, then back to AT&T, and have no intentions on going to an inferior Walmart plan/service. I suggest you follow up, in great length, on customer reviews of StraightTalk.

FWIW, I switched to Straight Talk almost a year ago and have had a great experience. 

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

I wish ATT would stop saying "smartphones require a data plan" as if the phone needs it. It doesn't.

What they mean is "ATT requires you to buy a data plan if you have a smartphone."

Even worse is what a CSR told me, that "It's the smartphone manufacturers who require it, not us. Apple insisted there be a data plan with every Iphone (true), and then Blackberry and Android did that too (a big fat lie)."

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@harryspar wrote:

I wish ATT would stop saying "smartphones require a data plan" as if the phone needs it. It doesn't.

What they mean is "ATT requires you to buy a data plan if you have a smartphone."

Even worse is what a CSR told me, that "It's the smartphone manufacturers who require it, not us. Apple insisted there be a data plan with every Iphone (true), and then Blackberry and Android did that too (a big fat lie)."

you do realize that on smartphones there are specific applications that DO require cellular data and there are applications out there that are written to specificly transmit and recieve over teh cellular network and will never work on a WI-FI network right?

Might want to do some research.

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

"Specific applications require data" and "all smartphones require data" are very different. I have never seen an app that doesn't work over WiFi. The only thing I know of is MMS which the people who don't want a data plan could use over WiFi by downloading any of a load of free apps.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@harryspar wrote:
"Specific applications require data" and "all smartphones require data" are very different. I have never seen an app that doesn't work over WiFi. The only thing I know of is MMS which the people who don't want a data plan could use over WiFi by downloading any of a load of free apps.

never used visual voice mail have you? It does not work over wi-fi, to find other apps I suggest you do the research, you got you free example. There are numerous others

By the definition of MMS it uses cellular SMS services for the text portion and cellular data for the picture, if you substitute an app then you are not utilzing MMS you are utilizing what ever network transport protocol that the developer built into the application. For example, the vertical market apps that we market will not utilize wi-fi at all - this is by design

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

Ok, I don't care, my WiFi-only Android works perfectly for me. the data plan requirement is a money grab, not a considerate customer convenience. If it were it would be optional.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@harryspar wrote:

Ok, I don't care, my WiFi-only Android works perfectly for me. the data plan requirement is a money grab, not a considerate customer convenience. If it were it would be optional.

most androids don;t utilize visual voice mail, and the ones that do I think is an extra feature code charge. There are android functions that require cellular also, you just have to look around for them

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Voice mail works over Wi-fi using ATT Messages App.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.