For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
working1234's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, March 2nd, 2015 2:39 PM

Billed, even though service was terminated?

I'm posting here since I was unable to get a satisfactory answer when I called customer service...

After 5+ years as an AT&T wireless customer, I made the decision to switch to a different provider. I arranged to have my service terminated and my number transfered to the new provider on the last day of my AT&T billing cycle. The process was complete by the first day of the new billing cycle, and AT&T stopped providing service on that day. 

I was subsequently billed by AT&T for a full month of service, even though (as previously noted) my AT&T wireless service was terminated by the first day of my billing cycle.

I was aware that AT&T does not prorate- but I find it extremely frustrating to be billed for a month during which I received no service. The customer service representative claimed that the reason for this was that "the final port was not complete prior to the beginning of the billing cycle," but to me this is an unsatisfactory explanation for why I was billed after my AT&T cell phone had ceased receiving service.

Definitely something that I will remember to tell anyone I know who is considering signing up with AT&T.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

9 years ago

If the port didn't occur until after mid-night of the last day of the ATT cycle, you are billed for a new cycle. Why did you try to time it so close? You should have set the port date a couple days before the end of the ATT cycle.

You're new provider never guaranteed to meet a certain date; only to make an attempt. Lesson learned. They ALWAYS tell you it can take 1-3 days. Next time give yourself a couple days breathing  room.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

knowing cell companies don't prorate bills, the advice is...
Port your numbers out 1-3 days before the end of your billing cycle.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi there @working1234

I’m sorry to hear you were charged for a full billing cycle! I’d be happy to look into this to see how we can help out! Please send me a private message by Clicking Here and include the following information, I can look into this for you and we’ll come to a resolution together!

• Full name
  • Email address
  • Cell and/or account number

Thanks!

Charise

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Indeed, lessons learned: (1) It's crucial to know a company's specific policies and practices about billing after termination of service, and act so as to avoid problems. That being said: (2) not all cell phone companies have *this* policy and/or practice - of billing for a month of service when no service is actually provided. 

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

9 years ago

@working1234 wrote:

Indeed, lessons learned: (1) It's crucial to know a company's specific policies and practices about billing after termination of service, and act so as to avoid problems. That being said: (2) not all cell phone companies have *this* policy and/or practice - of billing for a month of service when no service is actually provided. 

The four major carriers do; they don't pro-rate the final bill. I can't speak to the smaller, off the wall carriers.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you for your responses. Here's the last one from me:

I don't think that the dispute in my situation is about "pro-rating" the final bill. My service was over- that is, my phone said "No Service" - at the start of the first day of my billing cycle. I understand that AT&T's position is that, when a number is being transferred to another carrier, service can be billed for even when no service is being provided. But that is not a dispute about "pro-rating" a bill (that is, to charge only for services used).

Oh well. Hopefully my "smaller, off the wall" carrier (ha ha) will have a gentler policy!

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

9 years ago

you vs Kane and installed my service and never turned off the original phone line... And never informed us that we had a new number but since we never use the phone line or had one plugged in we didn't realize you were being billed for a total of $2000 since 2010 on the first phone si line they never disconnected. AT&T says it was my fault for not notifying them and they won't refund it...

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

@0tolerance4bs

Your problem has nothing to do with the original post. Please start your own thread about home phone service.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

You are welcome to do so in your own thread, that is relevant to your problem/complaint. Do not message me privately again, you are blocked.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I just went over with customer service in regards to my bill. I have been unemployed for I little over 6 months and recently started working again in middle of june. I received my first check on 7/3, then my truck ended up in shop so I did not have eniugh money to pay the whole bill andpaid half. I tried to split the payment but system wouldnt let me. Today my swrvice was turned off. I called to make arrangement to pay remainung half next week on the 17th, but was told payment must be made now. I explained I have. $.01 in my 2 accounts. Olease tyrn on my phone till my next paycheck. I know agrred to pay full amount but I only had half the amount. I have an emergency and really need my phone 2 nieces are in hospital, one I icu,her baby in nicu, sister also in hospital, plus needing my pgone to catch ride to &from work, traveling 100 miles round trip. My vehicle still in shop & need to know if its repairs & when woukd be picked uo. I Really need my phone on. But customer service still said you have to pay the remaining balance before we turn on phone again. YEs they really dont care. There are some things I did not know until I talked with him, which I NEVER saw when I was paying online... all I asked was that I pay until the 17th when I get my second check. So now I will be hitch hiking to work because I cant contact my ride dont know what is happening with my nieces n their babies, plus my boss is going to be upset I cant be reached & I work for sheriffs office. All I wanted to do was pay my raining balance until the 17th and was told need immediate payment and they dont care what happens other that. Been a local customer for a long time, will be changing carriers after paying my bill and telling several friends & relatives to change carriers. AT&T prefers that I overdraw my acct to pay my bill so my phone can be turned back on, glas that he onlt decluned to do that, but still want my bill paid,but with what? I could say more, but this is just a brief/quick post. Now I have to get some reat so I can walk 7mikes to neareast highway then hitchhike another 50 miles to work so need to get up early.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.