Billed by autopay for months after cancellation

Contributor

Billed by autopay for months after cancellation

I was a loyal AT&T mobile customer from 1996-2012, when we had to move to a rural area without coverage by AT&T and thus switched carriers.  We cancelled with AT&T.  Our previous bill had been about $260/month for a family plan with data.

I discovered in February 2014 that AT&T had continued to bill me via American Express for $60.91/month.  I called in, and was told that, while nothing could be done about the previous paid amounts, I would be credited for the remaining months and formally cancelled.

Then, I received a dunning letter from AT&T telling me I'd have to pay ANOTHER $60.91 or be reported to a collections agency.  When I called Customer Service, a supervisor named "Benjamin White" was hostile, rude, and demanded that I pay the $60.91!

AT&T never should have been billing me $60.91 after December 2012 in the first place.  The company owes me money--not the other way around.  

Since you've no doubt already classified me as LTV-1, I will pursue this with Colorado's Office of Consumer Counsel at the Attorney General's Office.  I will also be pursuing other remedies.

I'd like to avoid all of this; but, since AT&T continues to give me the run-around--and has threatened me--I am not seeing any other recourse.

Oh; and, by the way, I belong to a professional organization with over 1,000 members.  I will be reporting how I am treated on the listserv for that group.

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Professor

Re: Billed by autopay for months after cancellation

I would recommend you send a private message to AT&T Customer Care using the link below.

https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Thanks.  I did.  Crickets so far.  If corporations are "persons" under the law, I hope AT&T's corporate "conscience" is bothering it.  But, I suspect that's not the case.

Message 3 of 4
Contributor

I received an e-mail asking me to provide a number at which to be called.  Based on past experience, my communications with AT&T will be in writing.  I'm sure this makes logical sense to you.

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support