Need help understanding your bill?
2aaudi's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, January 3rd, 2015 6:38 PM

Bill after upgrade

I had a basic phone that cost $40 a month, my billing period was say start 5th of the month.

I upgraded my line to a smartphone and also added a new line on my account with a smart phone, with 3gb shared plan, so my new plan should be around $120. I activated my phone in 25th of the month (10days before my new billing cycle). 

So my used my old plan for 20days and new plan for 10 day. So my new bill with prorated should have been...

Old plan = $40/30*20 = 26.66

New plan = $120/30*10= 40

Total cost = 40+26.66 = 66.66

But ATT has charged me $144, When I called them they say its because I prorated in middle of the month I was also billed in advance for my old plan.

I have already called them 3 time to fix my bill, initally they charged me 313, after calling them they corrected it to 246, I was still not sure, called them again they found some issue and corrcetd the amount to $144 but still not satisfied as I am expecting my first bill to be $66.66 with prorated cost for old and new plan, my current last two month bill is $115 (after discounts), which is what I accept but my first bill after upgrade does not make sense and they are not ready to reduce it any more. What can I do, Am I confused or there is something messed up with ATTs billing?

Guru

• 

901 Messages

9 years ago

Dont forget that you bill is for the following month. So you will have the $120 plus the prorated from the previous month.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

9 years ago

You are not understanding the billing procedure.

You pay the prorated old bill $66.66 plus the month ahead $130 (not 120. Two individual phones with 3 GBS of data are $65 each plus taxes ). Total $206 plus taxes, plus upgrade fee of $40, which adds up to $246 plus taxes. An activation fee of $35 for the new line. Now I'm up to $281 plus tax.

It looks like the first bill of $313 included an activation fee on both phones when only one should have been charged. When you objected they credited both activation fees, reducing the bill to $243 plus taxes.

Your regular monthly bill will be about $130 plus taxes. For future months.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

9 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:
You are not understanding the billing procedure.

You pay the prorated old bill $66.66 plus the month ahead $130 (not 120. Two individual phones with 3 GBS of data are $65 each plus taxes ). Total $206 plus taxes, plus upgrade fee of $40, which adds up to $246 plus taxes. An activation fee of $35 for the new line. Now I'm up to $281 plus tax.

It looks like the first bill of $313 included an activation fee on both phones when only one should have been charged. When you objected they credited both activation fees, reducing the bill to $243 plus taxes.

Your regular monthly bill will be about $130 plus taxes. For future months.

Small correction to the highlighted portion: assuming the OP has already paid his previous bill, he would only owe the difference between the $40 he already paid, and the $66.66 the bill would have been, so $26.66

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.