Need help understanding your bill?
jkh3224's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, March 22nd, 2019 4:15 PM

Are there any fees on a BYOD upgrade?

I currently have an iPhone 6S that I bought as part of the AT&T Next plan.

It looks like I can get the most trade-in value from the Apple Store, as opposed to trading it in with AT&T. 

If I do so, I would guess there might be an activation fee for this new phone, but are there any other additional fees that I would incur on a monthly basis (as opposed to buying directly through AT&T)?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

If you buy sim free from Apple, At&t is out of the deal and there is no fees from AT&T.  Swap your SIM card  your good to go.  No change in bill, you pay service only.  

You only get upgrade fee if you are upgrading with Next through Apple.   Bill will increaseby installments 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

For clarity, the iPhone 6S has been paid off through the AT&T Next plan, so there is no outstanding balance on it.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

When going through the online process of buying through Apple, I have the option of choosing my carrier (AT&T), or choosing an unlocked phone.

Is there any benefit (or drawback) of choosing the AT&T option if my plan is to just pay in full either way?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

Is there any benefit (or drawback) of choosing the AT&T option if my plan is to just pay in full either way?

Only a drawback. If you choose the AT&T option, you will pay an upgrade fee to AT&T and the phone will be locked to AT&T. Of course you can get it unlocked but it will be locked until you do that. As @lizdance40 noted, pick the sim free version and there is no upgrade fee.

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

5 years ago

@jkh3224 I can confirm that there is no upgrade fee when purchased my SIM free Xs Max from Apple at full price. Just swapped the SIM.  Took a few days for my new Xs Max to show up as a device on MYATT account. Backed up my 6 Plus and a restore to the Xs and was good to go. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.