Need help understanding your bill?
sreeharsh's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, May 4th, 2017 6:15 PM

BOGO question pay off the upgraded line

I would like to know if i go for a BOGO deal and as part of this  lets say i upgrade one device and get another phone as a brand new line. If and when i plan to pay off the phone that i have upgraded(not the free phone) or making payments for  would my bill credit for the free phone stop?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@Gary L   Does it show on the online version?   

At att.com in the "previous activity" section where you see it actually applied to the bill it clearly states which line.

In the "Bill highlights" section if you click "view credit" it expands that part for you.

In the summary type sections, no. But that's probably because it's a summary and not anything detailed...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

For the bogo buy one get one free, to save your personal phone number... has anyone tried setting up one iphone 8 on an existing line and one on the new line that you create, then switching the new line phone number with an existing number on your plan, and deleting the old line with the new number?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@plquality That won’t work. The free phone credits stay with the new line and new number. It does not matter what phone has that number. If you cancel the new line, you also cancel the new number and you lose the credits.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@plquality wrote:

For the bogo buy one get one free, to save your personal phone number... has anyone tried setting up one iphone 8 on an existing line and one on the new line that you create, then switching the new line phone number with an existing number on your plan, and deleting the old line with the new number?

I'm confident it has been tried. If it was successful, we'd be hearing about it.

(And AT&T would have closed the loophole as they'd lose a 2 year line and a $650+ phone each time it was successfully done)

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

@jjmazz is correct, I’m going through the exact same headache right now. We were told as long as the plan is active for the 24 months the credit would continue to be applied. Absolutely not correct. Paid off $160 on the main line to upgrade to an iPhone 10. 2 months later, the BOGO credits disappear. Off the bill for the companion phone. I’ve spent a good portion of my day on chat, in store and now on hold trying to get them to honor the original $650 credit. What’s the point of a next every year, if you are penalized for using it? 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I got a BOGO phone in July 2017. It was not set up correctly in AT&T billing system and for the last 8 months I have been charged for both of the phones. I have been back to the  AT&T retailer that sold me the plan at least 6 times and the manager says he cannot do anything to correct the overcharges. I am paying $719.99  for each phone. That is $719.99 for a FREE phone!!! Who can I turn to now? This store manager said he is not authorized to change the contract.  I am fed up with excuses . I want the issue corrected now.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@5534cb wrote:

I got a BOGO phone in July 2017. It was not set up correctly in AT&T billing system and for the last 8 months I have been charged for both of the phones. I have been back to the  AT&T retailer that sold me the plan at least 6 times and the manager says he cannot do anything to correct the overcharges. I am paying $719.99  for each phone. That is $719.99 for a FREE phone!!! Who can I turn to now? This store manager said he is not authorized to change the contract.  I am fed up with excuses . I want the issue corrected now.

I'm a little confused by the price ($719.99) you mentioned, so I have a few questions.

Specifically:

• Which 2 phones did you buy?
  • What was the date of purchase?
  • Was one of the phones on a line new to AT&T?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Both phones are LG ELECTRONICSH871 I was to be charged for 1 phone and receive the 2nd phone for free. Since day 1 I have been charged the amount of $30 each phone to pay the financed amount of $719.99 for each phone. I already had service for 2 phones. At first I was told I would start to receive the credits for the FREE phone by month 3 but it is now month 9 and still no credit for my "FREE" phone. As I said before, the regional manager said he is not authorized to make changes to the billing. My question...Who is authorized to fix this mess???Thank you.
## Please type your reply above this line -##
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@5534cb If you did not open a new line, you are not getting a free phone. All free phone offers require opening a new line. There may have been other requirements. Some have also required having TV service. Plus the free phone offers change frequently and have specific dates which was why you were asked when you bought the phones. If you bought the phones after the BOGO offer expired, once again no free phone. Regardless, this is a customer to customer forum, you need to contact customer support directly if you are sure you qualify for the free phone offer. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@5534cb wrote:
Both phones are LG ELECTRONICSH871 I was to be charged for 1 phone and receive the 2nd phone for free. Since day 1 I have been charged the amount of $30 each phone to pay the financed amount of $719.99 for each phone. 

That's a REALLY long answer to dance around 3 very simple questions AND I think you only answered one of them.

BUT it sounds like you did not add a new line and that was required for the offer.

FYI, you're always charged for the phone (so that should never be a surprise), when it is working there is a credit to offset the charge.

I already had service for 2 phones. At first I was told I would start to receive the credits for the FREE phone by month 3 but it is now month 9 and still no credit for my "FREE" phone. As I said before, the regional manager said he is not authorized to make changes to the billing. 

The reps don't like to give bad news (at least that's the theory), I think they think they'll get downrating for the call/chat if they are the bearer of bad news.

My question...Who is authorized to fix this mess???

No one. From the answers you gave it sounds like there is nothing to fix.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.