Explore & discover

Helpful Links

BOGO question pay off the upgraded line

Highlighted
Contributor

BOGO question pay off the upgraded line

I would like to know if i go for a BOGO deal and as part of this  lets say i upgrade one device and get another phone as a brand new line. If and when i plan to pay off the phone that i have upgraded(not the free phone) or making payments for  would my bill credit for the free phone stop?

Message 1 of 35
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by sreeharsh
‎05-04-2017 2:13 PM

Re: BOGO question pay off the upgraded line

If I understand your question... yes, you can pay off the "buy one" phone and upgrade.  Or just buy a new phone outright to use on the line.  

You cannot pay off the "get one free".  

You cannot cancel either line without having to pay off the full balance because credits will stop.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 35
Contributor

So if i understand it right i can pay off the phone that i would be making payments for but not the get one free phone. Is that correct? Even if i payoff i would still receive credits on the free phone?

Message 3 of 35
ACE - Expert

@sreeharsh wrote:

So if i understand it right i can pay off the phone that i would be making payments for but not the get one free phone. Is that correct?

Yes, and you would still receive credits on the free phone.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 35
Master

As a small point of clarification,  you can payoff the "Get One" phone early, but you will be paying with your own money, and you will no longer get the bill credits from AT&T for that phone, since the credits are tied to the NEXT agreement, and it would be closed when you pay off the phone.  That also means that if you trade in the phone (as soon as you reach your upgrade eligibility) and it is in good enough shape, opening a new NEXT agreement, you will not owe any additional money on that "Get One" phone.

That means you could use it for 18 months getting the AT&T bill credits for it, then pay it off out of your own pocket, and sell it on the second hand market, or keep it for yourself, or ...  You could also use it to the upgrade point in the NEXT agreement, then if it is in good enough condition, you could open a new NEXT agreement trading in that phone, and owe nothing more on the one you trade in.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Message 5 of 35
Tutor

I paid off the phone that I bought. Not the free phone. This messed up the whole billing process for the free phone. DO NOT PAY OFF ANY PHONE TIED TO THE BOGO DEAL! 

This has been a huge headache for me. I wish I never paid off the one phone.

Message 6 of 35
ACE - Expert

@jjmazz wrote:

I paid off the phone that I bought. Not the free phone. This messed up the whole billing process for the free phone.

How are you certain you paid off the correct phone?

How did you pay it off?

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 7 of 35
ACE - Sage

Since ATT doesn’t put the credit on the line, it would be easy to pay off the wrong one, especially if both lines were new.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 8 of 35
ACE - Expert

@lizdance40 My "free" iPhone 7 credit is very clear on the bill (the pdf) which line it is.

Message 9 of 35
ACE - Sage

@Gary L   Does it show on the online version?  

Message 10 of 35
ACE - Expert

The bogo offer just show up as adjustment at the end of the bill

Message 11 of 35
ACE - Expert

@lizdance40 wrote:

@Gary L   Does it show on the online version?   

At att.com in the "previous activity" section where you see it actually applied to the bill it clearly states which line.

In the "Bill highlights" section if you click "view credit" it expands that part for you.

In the summary type sections, no. But that's probably because it's a summary and not anything detailed...

Message 12 of 35
Contributor

For the bogo buy one get one free, to save your personal phone number... has anyone tried setting up one iphone 8 on an existing line and one on the new line that you create, then switching the new line phone number with an existing number on your plan, and deleting the old line with the new number?

Message 13 of 35
ACE - Expert

@plquality That won’t work. The free phone credits stay with the new line and new number. It does not matter what phone has that number. If you cancel the new line, you also cancel the new number and you lose the credits.

Message 14 of 35
ACE - Expert

@plquality wrote:

For the bogo buy one get one free, to save your personal phone number... has anyone tried setting up one iphone 8 on an existing line and one on the new line that you create, then switching the new line phone number with an existing number on your plan, and deleting the old line with the new number?

I'm confident it has been tried. If it was successful, we'd be hearing about it.

(And AT&T would have closed the loophole as they'd lose a 2 year line and a $650+ phone each time it was successfully done)

Message 15 of 35
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support