Need help understanding your bill?
thequest2311's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Thursday, November 1st, 2018 5:15 AM

BE AWARE ATT "SECRETLY" UPGRADE YOU PLAN WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT AND CHARGE YOU EXTRA

ATT Wireless has been automatically upgrading customer plan with extra charge without customer consent and notification. They "secret" had a pending plan to double our data (my wife and I) without our consent. About 2 months ago, I checked the account and see the pending plan changes. I contacted customer service via chat, complaining about the pending plan I did not make. I had to ask them to remove it because I did not want the plan and I did not change the plan. Yesterday, I checked my account and see there is about $13 extra in my current bill, I viewed the details, my plan was upgraded from 16GB to 32GB. I did not make the change of plan, ATT automatically did that even though I asked to remove it last time, and they did removed last time. I contact customer service and a supervisor told me "AT&T is giving back to all our existing customer who is being loyal with our Mobile Share Advantage plan. AT&T is doubling your data from 16gb to 32gb. For only an increase of $10." and "It seems that this system generated though and we do not have control on rate plan change." This issue need to be raised for everyone who uses ATT to be aware because if they do not check their account and have autopay, they may end up paying extra for thing that they do not authorize like in my case. Let say 100,000 customers have this problem it is equivalent to $1.3 million.

ATT, YOU CANNOT TAKE MORE MONEY FROM CUSTOMERS WITHOUT CONSENT.

I save the script of the chat between me and the supervisor.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@libshop wrote:
@GLIMMERMAN76  You Wrote "NO BUT YOUR PAPERLESS BILL OR BILL DO!"

No. I'm looking at those bills (June thru August). A $3 internet
increase is noted but NO change in wireless plan. In my opinion,
automatically 'upgrading' is like Wells Fargo opening customer accounts
without consent. I had a contract. They reversed the change and
partially refunded the overcharge, so you can bet they knew it wouldn't
stand up legally.

oh it was under new you can use back in march april or may.  And its not like its not on the ATT website for the whole world to see.  https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1259100?gsi=tNyZw6E.  They may have reversed it but it will change again trust me its been complained about enough.

Also what contract?  Please show me a contract LOL..  Any contract a customer had expired long ago and the current Terms of Service went into effect.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@libshop

No.  You did not sign a contract for a service plan.  No such contract for service has been offered for 2 years and 10 months.  (Last contracts issued  1/8/2016)

The only thing you signed was  terms of service  >.  https://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement-list.html

Read section 1.3.  

and Next agreement to pay for your phone. >   https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1106686?gsi=bdrbTIE

No carrier offers service contracts anymore.  Sprint was the last to give them up in early 2017.  

l

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

5 years ago

@libshop wrote:

This is NOT about price increases. This is like Wells Fargo opening
customer accounts without their knowledge. Upgrading or making additions
to service without authorization is, in my opinion, a CRIMINAL act. In
fact, I think the FCC should be made aware.

This is exactly about price increases. That's what happened. I don't know why AT&T threw in extra data, too. Maybe they thought customers would appreciate a little something to ease the blow of the price increase. Who knows? Whatever the reason, at the end of the day, they wanted you to pay more and so they raised your price. 

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

if you are familiar with commercial law, the absence of a contract
usually favors the consumer. I've had wireless since long before 2016
and if a contract expires, unless otherwise agreed, terms of service are
extended month to month. I can, by simple continued use after proper
notice, agree by default to updated terms, but contract or no, merchants
can't force you to buy anything you don't order. Default consent does
not apply to upgrades and new products. Those require a positive
opt-in...which is why they reverted my service back to the original
order. Just ask Wells Fargo.

The terms of service you linked was explicit "If you lose your
eligibility for a particular rate plan, we may change your rate plan to
one for which you qualify." The 1GB plan was still offered. AT&T decided
I needed 3GB even though I was only using about 250MB a month. Again, it
isn't a rate issue, they forced a different product on me and now
they're losing a customer and investor.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

5 years ago

@libshop wrote:
 The 1GB plan was still offered.

No, it wasn't, at least not the plan you have. You are grandfathered in to that plan. 

AT&T decided
I needed 3GB even though I was only using about 250MB a month.

No, AT&T decided it wanted you to pay more each month and also gave you some free data. 

Again, it
isn't a rate issue, they forced a different product on me and now
they're losing a customer and investor.

No, they didn't. You have the same plan, the Mobile Share Advantage 1 GB. It just costs more and includes more data. In other words, Again, it is in fact a rate issue.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@libshop

🙄.    

You don’t have a contact.

ATT increased price.  They did NOT have to add more data.  You have in fact ‘lost eligibility’ because ATT eliminated that data amount and replaced it with 3 gig Amount.  

1.3 Can AT&T Change My Terms And Rates?

We may change any terms, conditions, rates, fees, expenses, or charges regarding your Services at any time. We will provide you with notice of material changes (other than changes to governmental fees, proportional charges for governmental mandates, roaming rates or administrative charges) either in your monthly bill or separately. You understand and agree that State and Federal Universal Service Fees and other governmentally imposed fees, whether or not assessed directly upon you, may be increased based upon the government's or our calculations.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

Updated: 

So I call Finance Department 2 days ago. They told me that even though the Chat agent change my plan back to 16GB, the system will keep change it back to 32GB, this was a ridiculous answer. ATT, if you want to verify the story with, please feel free to contact me. I then asked to speak with customer service so they can refund back the extra money I had to pay recently for the plan that I never agreed to.

Customer Service (CS) agent explained to me that on 7/1/2017, there is a note in the bill mentioning about the double data plan change. I told them but about 2 months or 2.5 months ago, I chatted with CS and had them to remove the pending double data plan, and they did. I ask them why the double plan was recently charged to my account. The agent kept asking if I made the change or any one in the account made the change. My wife did not handle phone bill and I am the only one who do this. The agent then made a refund for me for the extra I pay and she also stated the plan was now 16GB and it would not automatically be changed to 32GB ever again unless I asked them. I doubted it.

I'm considering switching provider now, and of course I won't tell which provider otherwise some of you thinks that I work for other provider. I just want to share my experience. Some people here think that it's OK for ATT change the plan without consent from customer because there is no contract. Please read my whole story carefully and read what ATT agents (multiple one) were telling me. Please do some homework before making and comments. I made to post to let ATT customers be more aware with the provider they are with now.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

You might as well.leave the system is going to sweep and change it back.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@thequest2311

“Story”?   There is no “story” to hear.  The 16 gig plan is no longer.  The plan is now $10 more and is for 32 gigs.  

If you call and ask nice, you might get them to put you in the 20 gig flex plan, which is the most recently retired.  

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40 you are one of the people who don’t read my entire post and updated reply. They changed mine back to 16GB and refund me the extra amount hey charged me. Please read and think before making any comments. Human has a brain for a reason. Cheers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.