For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
NJEsquire's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, February 19th, 2018 1:01 PM

Are your employees trained before they can access customer accounts?

I have a “post-paid” cellular account with four lines.

Yesterday, I called to make a payment of $280 that we’re past due and that I had previously promised to pay. When it came time to give the credit card information, I passed the phone to my wife. She gave the card number, expiration date, etc. Then the lady goes on to charge $580 to my debit account because she never asked my wife how much we wanted to pay. My wife assumed we HAD to pay the $580 yesterday, since the representative she spoke to just asked for authorization for this amount.

When my wife told me, I immediately called back and spoke to someone after the typical 20 minutes on the automated system’s hold. Here’s what this genius suggested. Step one, reverse the $580 charge; and, step two, charge the $280. I EXPLICITLY ASKED IF THE $580 would be reversed instantly or if it would take time. Her answer was, “it should happen immediately after we hang up. Maybe up to an hour.” I trusted that this was accurate (huge mistake on my part).

It’s been about 24 hours. And now, instead of being short $300, I’m $580 short. The third representative I spoke with tried to “explain” that my bank was the hold up, but this just isn’t true. My bank did not see the “reversal” and I have had two situations with other merchants where the reverse occurs within seconds of those companies telling me they reversed. AT&T seems to have a policy and/or system that is concerned with returning overpayments to their clients.

I guess the take-away from all this is that you CANNOT trust anything AT&T representatives tell you about the payment or refund process. They are simply programmed to charge, charge, charge and let the client suffer, if mistakes are made.

if I didn’t owe money for two of my four phones I would switch providers TODAY. I already told my family that there will be no upgrades until everything is paid off and we can switch. This is not the first time AT&T has shown little concern for my fiscal health.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

Good question.  And if you called on the weekend, I’d say you got a call center, not an ATT employee.

Training.  Sigh.  They have some great people.  Then they hire call centers who have no clue.

So here’s the thing.  If you owe $580 on a wireless plan for 4 phones and are paying by credit card, and have to pay the rest in 2 weeks anyway.  Why on earth are you risking your credit rating paying late at all?   You’re better off defaulting on your mortgage than paying your cell bill late.  Seriously.  People get refused a mortgage or rental because they screwed up paying a cellular bill.  

And why is the bill so high?  I don’t fiance  phones.  I buy out right.  We have 4 phones, 2 tablets, 20 gigs of data and a discount and my bill with tax is $181.   Which means I can also change carriers because all I pay for is service month to month.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Why “on earth” would I want to pay $580 in two weeks (when due) as opposed to paying it now?! Hmmmm? Let’s see. Oh, I got it! Because it affords me $300 more dollars to do what I want or need until my next paycheck.

how did you know the $580 is due in two weeks if you’re not an employee with access to my account?

{keep it courteous}

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

1.   Your writing to a fellow customer.  Calling my comment stupid right off the bat isn’t a way to garner good will.  

2.   On a credit card....   you did write credit card... you charge an amount you can’t afford to, or don’t want to pay all at once, so you can pay it later, in installments if you must.

But I always pay that off each month on time and have a large credit line because of that.  

3.   If ATT took $580, then your current bill has to show $580 due.  So either half is way past due, and you have another month posted and the rest is already due in about 17 days (21 days less 4 days to produce your bill after closing) or you have a $580 bill every month and ATT give you 2 weeks between most late payments.  In other words, I’m a customer too and I know how the billing system works.  FYI, you are anonymous here, even to employees.  No one can access you account with out the PIN code, phone number account number or some identifying information.  If I was correct, it because of the above deductions, or I’m a flipping psychic. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@NJEsquire wrote:

I have a “post-paid” cellular account with four lines.

Yesterday, I called to make a payment of $280 that we’re past due and that I had previously promised to pay. When it came time to give the credit card information, I passed the phone to my wife. She gave the card number, expiration date, etc. Then the lady goes on to charge $580 to my debit account because she never asked my wife how much we wanted to pay. My wife assumed we HAD to pay the $580 yesterday, since the representative she spoke to just asked for authorization for this amount.

When my wife told me, I immediately called back and spoke to someone after the typical 20 minutes on the automated system’s hold. Here’s what this genius suggested. Step one, reverse the $580 charge; and, step two, charge the $280. I EXPLICITLY ASKED IF THE $580 would be reversed instantly or if it would take time. Her answer was, “it should happen immediately after we hang up. Maybe up to an hour.” I trusted that this was accurate (huge mistake on my part).

It’s been about 24 hours. And now, instead of being short $300, I’m $580 short. The third representative I spoke with tried to “explain” that my bank was the hold up, but this just isn’t true. My bank did not see the “reversal” and I have had two situations with other merchants where the reverse occurs within seconds of those companies telling me they reversed. AT&T seems to have a policy and/or system that is concerned with returning overpayments to their clients.

I guess the take-away from all this is that you CANNOT trust anything AT&T representatives tell you about the payment or refund process. They are simply programmed to charge, charge, charge and let the client suffer, if mistakes are made.

if I didn’t owe money for two of my four phones I would switch providers TODAY. I already told my family that there will be no upgrades until everything is paid off and we can switch. This is not the first time AT&T has shown little concern for my fiscal health.

Keep in mind you called on a holiday weekend, so perhaps the banking process isn't is quick as it might be. Maybe the rep just isn't  familiar with the how AT&T processes credit card refunds; it really isn't part of their normal job duties to know that information. 

You're the one who is paying late; I don't think AT&T is your biggest concern with regard to your fiscal health. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.