Need help understanding your bill?
johnnyblu's profile

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Friday, February 20th, 2015 6:57 PM

Closed

Anyone out there experienced AT&T adding device insurance without authorization?

I've upgraded 3 lines since the iPhone 6 came out. Each time AT&T adding device insurance without my authorization or knowledge. Anyone else out there experience this? 

Given that it's happened to me 3 separate times over the course of the past 6 months leads me to believe AT&T systematically adds insurance coverage without authorization in hopes that no one will notice or will not bother to call them on it. Over the holidays  I did not read my bill in detail; last month I did and noticed that for 3 months they had been charging me an extra 6.99 per month. 

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

9 years ago

When you upgraded 3 lines, did you upgrade all lines with the Next program? if yes, AT&T added insurance in case something happens to phones while still paying phones off something.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Yes it was via At&t Next. That still doesn't justify adding charges to a bill without authorization or before receiving approval. This is a dishonest business practice. 

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

I upgraded 2 iPhones back on the launch day. Both were using NEXT, and in both cases, the sales rep wanted to add insurance and I explicitly said no. I am not paying for insurance, and have not paid for it either of these phones, so in my case, They didn't add it.

I know that they tried to push it fairly hard, but I was clear that I didn't want it, and they removed it, but yes, they automatically added it "because I was using NEXT". If your rep was rushed, or not trained well, they might have not verified with you that you wanted it, and if you didn't expressly tell them you didn't want it, it could have been left on your bill. In any case, it should have been on the totals they went over with you, so you should have known about it before you left the store.

Scholar

• 

99 Messages

9 years ago

While it is completely up to you if you have insurance on the phones or not, let me throw a little scenario out there for you.

You purchase a 16gb iPhone 6 through the Next program, lets say Next12 just for simplicity (yay! new iPhone!) and refuse insurance.

Month or so down the road some random thing happens and phone gets dropped, smashed, dropped in the snow/water, you name it.

Now you've got a completely useless phone and guess what? You've got 11 more months before you can "trade" the phone in for an upgrade, which probably wont happen because the phone isn't in working condition and because you have no insurance AT&T cannot replace it, sooooo in order to continue using that line you either buy another brand new iPhone 6 at $650 and continue to pay on the installment plan (yes, you still have to pay it even though the phone is broken)...or you get a much cheaper phone and you still get to pay on the installment plan

Bottom line, again, its your choice to have insurance or not, but with the Next plan it is "pushed hard" because in the worst case scenario really really bad things can happen.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Kyle.b, I totally get the purpose of insurance. We have insurance on our homes, cars and health. But imagine that you went to the pharmacist to get a prescription filled and as a result they started billing you monthly for coverage without telling you.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi there @johnnyblu

I’m sorry to hear that Mobile Insurance was added to three of your lines without authorization. This is certainly not commonplace and it should have been asked if you wanted to add the coverage. If you would like to remove the insurance coverage, you can do so by performing the following:

1. Select myAT&T at the top of the page. If prompted, log in. Don't have a myAT&T login? Register today!
  2. Hover over Wireless Features at the top of the page, and then select Add or Change a Feature.
  3. If you have more than one device, select the wireless device to which you want to add or remove AT&T device protection.
  4. To remove the Feature, uncheck the box for the Device Protection program in which you are enrolled, then select Next.
  5. Select an available Feature Effective/Expiration Date, then select Next.
  6. Review your changes, and accept by selecting Submit.

If you remove the coverage and would like to receive a refund for the time the coverage was in place, please send me a private message with your information by Clicking Here

• Full name
  • Email address
  • Cell and/or account number

Thanks,

Charise

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I just signed up to say that I have had the same experience. We have added two lines in the past year and both lines had unauthorized wireless insurance. Both lines are on a NEXT plan, but that shouldn't matter. We were asked if we wanted insurance both times and said no both times. The insurance isn't on either of our paperwork. This is super frustrating, wasn't it just a bit over a year ago that AT&T had to pay a $105 million dollar settlment for cramming unauthorized charges? 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

This happened to me as well. I dont have the NEXT plan but a normal one.  I Went to the store and the people were so nice and helpful.  They told me how much data costs, minutes, 2nd line, iPhone etc.  I didn't think to check my bill since I didn't think they were going to add things to my bill without authorization.  Well they did.  I signed up in April and they have been charging my 6.99$ month.  I got another phone for my wife and not only did they charge her for insurance without asking me if I wanted it, but they charged her for a protection plan that will find her iphone if its lost.  THere is already an app for htat included in the phone.. what a pointless charge.  I feel totally scammed.  I tried getting reimbursed, but they would only give me 3 months.  I dont think its acceptable to add charges to someones credit card without asking - its stealing. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I signed up to add my personal experience with this as well. I purchased a new iPhone back in June 2015. I have never heard of NEXT nor am I enrolled in that program. I just have a normal plan. I *explicitly* told the [very rude] customer service associate at the AT&T store in Downtown San Francisco where I purchased my new iPhone that I do not want the insurance, despite his many attempts at pushing it on me. Clearly, it was added without my knowledge. Now, several months later, I am noticing a $7.99 insurance charge in addition to a $3.99 "Support" fee. I called and they will only reimburse me (credit only to be applied to my account) in the amount of $70.00, which is $50.00 shy of the total $120.00 in erroneous fees I have been charged over the past few months. It took me nearly an hour on the phone and being transferred 3 times to get a measly $70 from this gigantic company that feels it is OK to rip people off.

I have been an AT&T Mobile customer for over a decade. I never look at statements because I have had the same plan or some iteration of it for the past decade plus. I pay my bill every month, never dispute any charges and the one time I catch an error I have to essentially beg for my money back (that was taken in bad faith and fraudulently) and they couldn't even refund the entire amount. Of course, the credit can only applied to my next bill, so as soon as that bills comes to fruition I am switching carriers. We all know that $70 is not the max they could refund me but that is what they chose to do. Terrible customer service. I'm done with AT&T.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

I am in the same boat. Long time loyal customer, I added a cheap line for my mother that visits twice a year, two years ago. The phone is used two months out of the year tops, I'm paying $15 a month all year round for this but they still manage to add this fee without my knowledge.

I don't have insurance on my 128 gb 6s plus but somehow they thought I would need it on this iphone 4s... This was not a NEXT plan and was certainly not communicated to us.

If they don't reimburse the fees in complete I will definitely be changing providers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.