For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
johnnyblu's profile

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Friday, February 20th, 2015 6:57 PM

Closed

Anyone out there experienced AT&T adding device insurance without authorization?

I've upgraded 3 lines since the iPhone 6 came out. Each time AT&T adding device insurance without my authorization or knowledge. Anyone else out there experience this? 

Given that it's happened to me 3 separate times over the course of the past 6 months leads me to believe AT&T systematically adds insurance coverage without authorization in hopes that no one will notice or will not bother to call them on it. Over the holidays  I did not read my bill in detail; last month I did and noticed that for 3 months they had been charging me an extra 6.99 per month. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Lololol if only we could all use that reasoning and illogic. That's not the way it works, but nice try. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@Bellevue  horse pucky.  ATT will unlock any phone once the financial obligation if completed. 

Current customers have it easy.  I've unlocked several phones.  No excuses needed or required 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have done that and there was no refund paid back to me. They blamed me for going to myAT&T app and taking the insurance off by myself. They also told me that I could have talked to the At&T sale guy to help me take it off. They added the insurances into my account even when I didn't get any new phones, I just went there to get phone number for me and my parents with my own paid off phones from other companies (t-mobile and straighttalk).
Now, I just recently upgrade my phone to an iphone 7plus with an addition of purchasing an iPad. They add a phone number into that iPad and charge it for monthly service with protection fee and insurance without noticing me again. I have no idea about the iPad phone number and the insurance came with it. Why does it happen like that, and what can I do to end it? Thank you!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Posted this in another smaller thread regarding this issue:

I, too, just noticed that for over the past year AT&T has been charging me insurance on two lines on my family plan (paperless billing & could never figure out why I couldn't log in online to see my account billing). Well, after numerous tries I finally was able to get onto my AT&T account and look up my history billing and to my surprise, unauthorized insurance charges since forever. I contacted AT&T via online chat and Andrew was able to credit my account for every single unauthorized dollar. 10/10 customer service Andrew. Thanks AT&T!!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I need to find Andrew then! I discovered in December that we had been charged since March after declining, in person, any insurance coverage. We pointed out that none of our six lines carried insurance. I was led to believe in December that it was going to be refunded - I've been watching for it and now they tell me they will only refund 3 months worth because I should have "noticed" it sooner! I am wondering if they realize the scandal Wells Fargo just went through making unauthorized decisions for account holders!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I have and several people I work with have as well.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

Consider it a test to see if you read your bill (you should, every month).  It shouldn't happen, but it does.  I always check my bill after I make any changes.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I think it is commonplace.  Three people in my office, besides me, had it happen.  I specifically said I didn't want insurance.  I made a change to my plan and on the very next bill I noticed the insurance had been added.  Insurance added without my permission.  I believe its just a scam.  A way for AT & T to get extra income.  I think if you make changes to your plan, AT&T thinks they can add insurance without your knowledge and you won't catch it because you made a change and expected the bill amount to change anyway.  I wouldn't be surprised to see that someone turned in A T & T for this deceptive practice.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

I had I had the same thing happen over and over. I was told by customer service they could only refund 2 months. After screaming at supervisors with no help. I file a complaint with the FCC. I got a call from ATT and within a week I was fully refunded for 8 months. 

And that next thing that guy was saying is crap. They just added it to a google phone that I paid cash for. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Dbear222 wrote:

I had I had the same thing happen over and over. I was told by customer service they could only refund 2 months. After screaming at supervisors with no help. I file a complaint with the FCC. I got a call from ATT and within a week I was fully refunded for 8 months. 

And that next thing that guy was saying is crap. They just added it to a google phone that I paid cash for. 

What? You mean screaming at someone WASN'T the way to get them to make an exception to policy? Shocking!

All sarcasm aside, it is the customer's responsibility to make sure the bill is correct before paying. There's no reason for a billing error to go on for 8 months. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.