Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Address Needed

Highlighted
Contributor

Address Needed

Can anyone here provide me with the street address for AT&T's legal department?  In March of this year AT&T changed my address on my bills to a house I moved from over two years ago. Since then I have repeatedly tried to get them to change it back but AT&T for some unknown reason will not do it. I've called repeatedly for months, gotten my local AT&T company store involved, and even used the worthless Chat function on this site.  All with no luck. Last week I contacted the Illinois Attorney General's Office for Consumer Fraud and asked about filing a formal fraud complaint for intentionally misdirecting my bills (and the confidential/personal info they contain) and was told that I would first need to send a certified "demand letter"  to AT&T's legal department, then I can file the complaint.  In case anyone is thick enough to ask; Yes the address is correct on my profile, yes the address that comes up on AT&T's own account systems is correct (that includes the system at my local store, the system accessed by the telephone customer service agents, & the system used by the chat agents), and yes it was correct on my bills from August 2015 through February 2017. It's only wrong on the paper bills that I never get and on the downloadable pdf copies in my AT&T profile.  After all the lies about "it's fixed" and the late fees charged now it's a matter of principal; I feel like letting them spend a few grand answering fraud allegations from the state AG. I just need the address and haven't found it on the site. Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by berryh01
‎08-31-2017 4:42 PM

Re: Address Needed

Well first I suggest stopping the paper bills until it's resolved. Save a tree anyway. You will get an email notice when the bill is produced.  Mark your calendar.  

You can login and do that any time.

Then send a private message to advanced support here @ATTCares

It can take a week for a reply, so I suggest the alternate until they can fix the problem. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are customers too, NOT employees. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 6
ACE - Expert

That is truly bizarre but you act like ATT is purposely targeting you. Maybe it's just a strange glitch that no one can figure out why it's happening or how to fix it. When someone tells you it is fixed, they probably believe it is fixed. Sorry, I don't know the address to the legal department. My suggestion is send to corporate headquarters.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6
ACE - Master

berryh01 wrote:

Can anyone here provide me with the street address for AT&T's legal department?  In March of this year AT&T changed my address on my bills to a house I moved from over two years ago. Since then I have repeatedly tried to get them to change it back but AT&T for some unknown reason will not do it. I've called repeatedly for months, gotten my local AT&T company store involved, and even used the worthless Chat function on this site.  All with no luck. Last week I contacted the Illinois Attorney General's Office for Consumer Fraud and asked about filing a formal fraud complaint for intentionally misdirecting my bills (and the confidential/personal info they contain) and was told that I would first need to send a certified "demand letter"  to AT&T's legal department, then I can file the complaint.  In case anyone is thick enough to ask; Yes the address is correct on my profile, yes the address that comes up on AT&T's own account systems is correct (that includes the system at my local store, the system accessed by the telephone customer service agents, & the system used by the chat agents), and yes it was correct on my bills from August 2015 through February 2017. It's only wrong on the paper bills that I never get and on the downloadable pdf copies in my AT&T profile.  After all the lies about "it's fixed" and the late fees charged now it's a matter of principal; I feel like letting them spend a few grand answering fraud allegations from the state AG. I just need the address and haven't found it on the site. Thanks.

Sending a bill to the incorrect address isn't fraud. 

Clearly you know how to access your bills online, so there's no excuse not to pay on time. 

One other idea to try: fill out a change of address with the USPS. Not only will that (hopefully) lead to your bills being forwarded, the post office usually notifies senders of a new address. That might be the catalyst needed. 

If you think pursuing this is worth your time, go for it. Personally, I'd just forget about the paper bills. 

Message 4 of 6
Contributor

@lizdance40The first two customer service reps I spoke with, as well as the one my local AT&T store communicated with, all stated that the paper bills would be stopped until the address issue was fixed. But I will also give the contact you provided a fair chance. Thank you.

@sandblasterNo, I don't believe AT&T is targeting me. I believe that I am being totally ignored and brushed off. Frankly the response and results I have had so far make Comcast's service look good. But thank you for the tip about just using the corporate address.

@MicCheck1) In my state the AG's Consumer Fraud unit handles a great many types of consumer legal issues. Also in my state for a business entity to knowing misdirect Personally Identifiable Information (PII) to a party other than the client/customer can be held as both a criminal act and/or a civil tort depending on the type and/or amount of damages alleged. The combination of full name along with phone number is a listed type of PII under the law. Intent is not a factor. 2) I did contact the Assistant Postmaster of the Post Office for my ZIP code and was told that since I moved out over two years ago, and did file a standard full-year change of address at the time, I could not do another one at this late date. AT&T did correctly use the new address on the bills from August 2015 through February 2017 when they changed it back to the old address. 3) As far as pursuing it, I work just a few blocks South of the Headquarters for the IL AG; it doesn't take much time to fill out a two page form, sign it, staple on a copy of the Certified Letter form, and drop it in the inbasket in their lobby. That's FAR less work that I've expended over the last 5-6 months trying to get it fixed.

Lastly, after nearly two decades as an AT&T wireless customer I will be starting to shop around for prices on a similar family package with the competition this coming weekend. I'm just lucky that I live in an urban area with shops for every carrier that serves the state. If lizdance40's idea works great, but if not then I'm gone.

Message 5 of 6
ACE - Expert

@berryh01  Please let us know how it's fixed it may help someone else.  Truly a bizarre problem.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are customers too, NOT employees. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support