Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Address Needed

Highlighted
Contributor

Address Needed

Can anyone here provide me with the street address for AT&T's legal department?  In March of this year AT&T changed my address on my bills to a house I moved from over two years ago. Since then I have repeatedly tried to get them to change it back but AT&T for some unknown reason will not do it. I've called repeatedly for months, gotten my local AT&T company store involved, and even used the worthless Chat function on this site.  All with no luck. Last week I contacted the Illinois Attorney General's Office for Consumer Fraud and asked about filing a formal fraud complaint for intentionally misdirecting my bills (and the confidential/personal info they contain) and was told that I would first need to send a certified "demand letter"  to AT&T's legal department, then I can file the complaint.  In case anyone is thick enough to ask; Yes the address is correct on my profile, yes the address that comes up on AT&T's own account systems is correct (that includes the system at my local store, the system accessed by the telephone customer service agents, & the system used by the chat agents), and yes it was correct on my bills from August 2015 through February 2017. It's only wrong on the paper bills that I never get and on the downloadable pdf copies in my AT&T profile.  After all the lies about "it's fixed" and the late fees charged now it's a matter of principal; I feel like letting them spend a few grand answering fraud allegations from the state AG. I just need the address and haven't found it on the site. Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by berryh01
‎08-31-2017 4:42 PM

Re: Address Needed

Well first I suggest stopping the paper bills until it's resolved. Save a tree anyway. You will get an email notice when the bill is produced.  Mark your calendar.  

You can login and do that any time.

Then send a private message to advanced support here @ATTCares

It can take a week for a reply, so I suggest the alternate until they can fix the problem. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 6
ACE - Expert

That is truly bizarre but you act like ATT is purposely targeting you. Maybe it's just a strange glitch that no one can figure out why it's happening or how to fix it. When someone tells you it is fixed, they probably believe it is fixed. Sorry, I don't know the address to the legal department. My suggestion is send to corporate headquarters.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6
ACE - Master

berryh01 wrote:

Can anyone here provide me with the street address for AT&T's legal department?  In March of this year AT&T changed my address on my bills to a house I moved from over two years ago. Since then I have repeatedly tried to get them to change it back but AT&T for some unknown reason will not do it. I've called repeatedly for months, gotten my local AT&T company store involved, and even used the worthless Chat function on this site.  All with no luck. Last week I contacted the Illinois Attorney General's Office for Consumer Fraud and asked about filing a formal fraud complaint for intentionally misdirecting my bills (and the confidential/personal info they contain) and was told that I would first need to send a certified "demand letter"  to AT&T's legal department, then I can file the complaint.  In case anyone is thick enough to ask; Yes the address is correct on my profile, yes the address that comes up on AT&T's own account systems is correct (that includes the system at my local store, the system accessed by the telephone customer service agents, & the system used by the chat agents), and yes it was correct on my bills from August 2015 through February 2017. It's only wrong on the paper bills that I never get and on the downloadable pdf copies in my AT&T profile.  After all the lies about "it's fixed" and the late fees charged now it's a matter of principal; I feel like letting them spend a few grand answering fraud allegations from the state AG. I just need the address and haven't found it on the site. Thanks.

Sending a bill to the incorrect address isn't fraud. 

Clearly you know how to access your bills online, so there's no excuse not to pay on time. 

One other idea to try: fill out a change of address with the USPS. Not only will that (hopefully) lead to your bills being forwarded, the post office usually notifies senders of a new address. That might be the catalyst needed. 

If you think pursuing this is worth your time, go for it. Personally, I'd just forget about the paper bills. 

Message 4 of 6
Contributor

@lizdance40The first two customer service reps I spoke with, as well as the one my local AT&T store communicated with, all stated that the paper bills would be stopped until the address issue was fixed. But I will also give the contact you provided a fair chance. Thank you.

@sandblasterNo, I don't believe AT&T is targeting me. I believe that I am being totally ignored and brushed off. Frankly the response and results I have had so far make Comcast's service look good. But thank you for the tip about just using the corporate address.

@MicCheck1) In my state the AG's Consumer Fraud unit handles a great many types of consumer legal issues. Also in my state for a business entity to knowing misdirect Personally Identifiable Information (PII) to a party other than the client/customer can be held as both a criminal act and/or a civil tort depending on the type and/or amount of damages alleged. The combination of full name along with phone number is a listed type of PII under the law. Intent is not a factor. 2) I did contact the Assistant Postmaster of the Post Office for my ZIP code and was told that since I moved out over two years ago, and did file a standard full-year change of address at the time, I could not do another one at this late date. AT&T did correctly use the new address on the bills from August 2015 through February 2017 when they changed it back to the old address. 3) As far as pursuing it, I work just a few blocks South of the Headquarters for the IL AG; it doesn't take much time to fill out a two page form, sign it, staple on a copy of the Certified Letter form, and drop it in the inbasket in their lobby. That's FAR less work that I've expended over the last 5-6 months trying to get it fixed.

Lastly, after nearly two decades as an AT&T wireless customer I will be starting to shop around for prices on a similar family package with the competition this coming weekend. I'm just lucky that I live in an urban area with shops for every carrier that serves the state. If lizdance40's idea works great, but if not then I'm gone.

Message 5 of 6
ACE - Sage

@berryh01  Please let us know how it's fixed it may help someone else.  Truly a bizarre problem.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support