For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Tetchreon's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Monday, November 14th, 2016 6:24 PM

Account over charge due to Note 7 fiasco.

Several months ago I decided I would buy a Note 7 on release day and trade my Blackberry Passport (yea, I still use a Blackberry) as it was due for an upgrade. We all know how that went.

I thankfully had not had the opportunity to mail my Passport to AT&T before the recall came out and figured I would just keep the phone until I decided what to replace it with. However apparently AT&T decided I still should have returned it as this month they are attempting to charge me the remaining $162 (which isn't even the correct amount...) owed on the phone. I spoke with "Live Support" last week and was told the issue would be taken care of. As of today the amount owed on the account has not been updated. 

I'd like to pay my bill as it's due in 7 days...but will be unable to do so until this balance is corrected. I welcome any assistance or advice that can come my way.

Thanks in advance. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

I will strongly advise you pay the amount due in full to avoid suspension.  

You can dispute any charge on your bill in writing.  Payment of your bill is not an acceptance that a charge is valid in any way.  

IF YOU DISPUTE ANY CHARGES ON YOUR BILL, YOU MUST NOTIFY US IN WRITING AT AT&T BILL DISPUTE, 1025 LENOX PARK, ATLANTA, GA 30319 WITHIN 100 DAYS OF THE DATE OF THE BILL OR YOU'LL HAVE WAIVED YOUR RIGHT TO DISPUTE THE BILL AND TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY LEGAL ACTION RAISING SUCH DISPUTE.

You should have to pay the balance of your Next installments, which should show on your previous bills.  

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

That is certainly not going to be happening. I'm happy to discontinue the service and move on to another company if AT&T is too incompetent to fix a billing issue with notice two weeks prior to the bill being due. 

Beyond even that, if I pay the bill I:

1) Have no guarantee at all I will be refunded (and a bill credit is not a refund)

2) Will likely continue to be charged for the device I'm currently using, as I still owe roughly $100. 

If this is the only solution available to me, again I am willing to find service with another provider. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

And when is your bill date?   You said you spoke to support last week and your bill is due in 2 weeks.  That makes me suspect your bill was already Issued.  Once the bill is issued, it can't be changed.  Any credit has to come on the next bill.  

Since the bill you have has $162 charge on it, they expect you to pay it.   If they agreed to fix the amount due, they will refund it on the December bill.   

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Don't listen to this guy.  His "advice" is total garbage.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Tetchreon wrote:

Several months ago I decided I would buy a Note 7 on release day and trade my Blackberry Passport (yea, I still use a Blackberry) as it was due for an upgrade. We all know how that went.

I thankfully had not had the opportunity to mail my Passport to AT&T before the recall came out and figured I would just keep the phone until I decided what to replace it with. However apparently AT&T decided I still should have returned it as this month they are attempting to charge me the remaining $162 (which isn't even the correct amount...) owed on the phone. I spoke with "Live Support" last week and was told the issue would be taken care of. As of today the amount owed on the account has not been updated. 

I'd like to pay my bill as it's due in 7 days...but will be unable to do so until this balance is corrected. I welcome any assistance or advice that can come my way.

Thanks in advance. 

What am I missing? Why wouldn't you still owe the payments due on the Blackberry? If  you've decided to return the Note 7 and keep the old phone, it should be back to as if nothing has happened with the Note 7, which includes continuing to make the payments for it. 

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

I agree with snow, the advice given is unacceptable and will be disregarded. 

Mic, I apologize if I didn't make it clear but I am still making the final payments each month on the Blackberry. That's the underlying problem. I will not "pay off" the device by making this payment and I'm under no obligation to pay it off at this moment. If I make this large payment, the account will not show that I've paid off the device as it's still listed as a device I'm making payments on. That's even ignoring the fact that the amount charged is dead wrong to begin with. (It was $160ish three months ago and I've maid three payments since then) 

I hope that's less confusing...though I'm sure it's not. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

Check your bill.  Are the payments on the Note 7, or the Passport?

Has ATT refunded your payments on the Note?  (And tax etc)

@MicCheck.  You know how the billing works.  Once the bill is printed, they can't change it. Even if the next bill has a credit balance of $162, is it worth risking suspension?

I transferred 3 lines off my bill in two different months.  Both times my bill was reduced by a credit the following month.  

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

Check your bill.  Are the payments on the Note 7, or the Passport?

Has ATT refunded your payments on the Note?  (And tax etc)

@MicCheck.  You know how the billing works.  Once the bill is printed, they can't change it. Even if the next bill has a credit balance of $162, is it worth risking suspension?

I guess I'm just confused as the what the $162 charge was billed for to begin with. 

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

I have looked over the bill. The amount charged is for the BlackBerry. The amount being charged each month is...for the BlackBerry. The taxes paid on the note were refunded when I returned the note. MicCheck, there is no reason other than an honest mistake on AT&Ts behalf for the $162.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Tetchreon wrote:
I have looked over the bill. The amount charged is for the BlackBerry. The amount being charged each month is...for the BlackBerry. The taxes paid on the note were refunded when I returned the note. MicCheck, there is no reason other than an honest mistake on AT&Ts behalf for the $162.

And that may very well be, but what does it say on the bill?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.