For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
surf003's profile

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

Thursday, January 5th, 2017 10:33 PM

ATT mysterious hard hit credit inquiries

I have a credit reporting service and that service shows a hard hit credit inquiry on my account today, Jan 5 2017. When I called the fraud dept. they could not see anything??? And, the call taker said that he has had many calls today of the same nature and could not see any of the activity from ATT's side!!?? A manager is supposed to call me back but that could be 24-48 hours?? I am very concerned and would like a quicker response on this very important matter . . . and by writing you here, I have a record of this with you guys. Think Possible and get me some salient information - it is your company that created this mysterious issue . . . or at least your companies name is on the hit.  ~b

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

7 years ago

Yes I was told at the end of a very long conversation hashing out all the details, pricing etc to switch to DIRECTV. Yes it is their right to set their policies however they see fit. It just made no sense to me and still does not. I said if they give me a reasonable explanation as to why this is necessary, it wasn't when I started my wireless account roughly 6 or 7 years ago. Also have tv and Internet with ATT. Sure my dislike of this requirement does let me change one thing and that was my mind. That first call ended right there. Then called couple weeks later on another issue, again got into DIRECTV subject. I made it clear at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of our agreement I DO NOT AUTHORIZE a credit inquiry. I was assured it was not needed. So to check my credit report the next morning (my call previous night ended at 8:30 pm) to find they did in fact run a credit inquiry. That in itself did not phase me as much as the fact that apparently the rep I spoke with straight out lied. All of this may not have even have become an issue were it not for an article I read that very day published by the LA times on the exact same conflict. Apparently they were told by an ATT spokesperson that it was all a mixup and an error that a credit inquiry was not necessary. Also an answer "It's just policy" is poor customer service. Lastly I called early the next day and cancelled, asked for a confirmation no and don't you know DIRECTV contacted me today to confirm installation. Informed them I cancelled and I was told " No Mrs, my records indicate it is still active so if you hold I will transfer so you can cancel. END OF CALL

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Theres nothing wrong with caring about your credit but im no 'fanatic'.  I was moving, wanted get my intenet with ATT turned on at the new house. Simple stuff. They said they had no services in that area but they did have a 'vendor' that offered....get this...50M down AND UP at my new place for 25$ a month! I asked three times about the 50M upload, three different times about the price, three different times if they are telling me a bursting speed or if that based on 95th percentile. The ATT rep and his 'manager' !!!ured me i was legit because it was just unbelievable. He said he had to get authorization for me to not have to pay a deposit. I asked, specifically, if it was a credit check, he said 'not really', I said is it a hard check because if so its not worth it. I was shopping for a car, every point matters when you are making these big changes, new job, new house, car shopping, etc.. This guy laughed at me and said "you're not buying a house here 'sir', you're getting internet, internet doesn't affect your score 'sir', that's not how credit works - also I would have to get your permission if it was a hard check...should I continue or not?". So...now I felt stupid but it was just all sounding like too good of a deal and this guy did such a good job at being an !!! that I didnt even realize I kinda gave him permission and then I apologized to him for thinking this was the best internet company in the whole world. He got back on, said I had to pay $150 deposit, and I was like thats impossible, what info is he basing this on? He said he checked 'three times' - I asked, did you do a hard pull on my credit? I'm like, I told you not to dude. He again, laughed his snarky laugh and !!!ured me i was 'safe'. So, couple weeks later, after moving, still car shopping, new job (stressful) I found I have a total of 9 inquiries added to my report thanks to ATT, three each for direct-tv, dishnetwork, and windstream, which dropped my credit scores on two of three by over 110 points! They say it dont affect your credit, they can spot multiple ones, they have to get your permission, it's all non-scottish cr@p!!! So I spent literally days on the phone with ATT who say its not their employee but a contract company for windsteam, windstream said the company works for ATT, dish network and direct tv didnt know what I was talking about and one of them gave me the number to their corporate office WHICH WAS FREAKING ATT - THE SAME NUMBER THIS ALL STARTED AT!!!! A freaking nightmare. One chick at ATT actually told me she 'didnt care who employed the contract company, it wasnt her job to find out, it was mine to ask when I was on the phone with them'. I called ATT, he said he was an ATT rep. Crazyness guys. 

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

When the deal sounds so good we all want it. But, when the deal sounds
that good we have to put on our common sense hat, and stay away. We have
all been snookered by those rats out there. Walk away when the deal is
too good to be true.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.