ATT IS JACKING UP DATA USAGE!!

Contributor

ATT IS JACKING UP DATA USAGE!!

I haven't went over in almost a year of my 3Gb data plan. I'm the person who checks it multiple times a week. With the *DATA text. If I am close I turn wifi on and everything goes fine. But last month I woke up of the morning of my new pay period said I used 400MB?!?!?! And this morning it was another new pay period and it says I used 600MB?!?! This is bull. And I see no way I could use 600mb even if I tried!! But I used it in my sleep??? No my apps do not update in the background. My phone is set with App Store data cut off by me. And updates on wifi only. And I delete my running apps when I'm done with them so they are 100% all closed out.
Message 1 of 6
Contributor

Re: ATT IS JACKING UP DATA USAGE!!

Dialing *3282, DATA, is not to be taken as up to the minute information. I always notice that as my billing period nears, it will say that information is not available if I am close to the 100% use of my data.

I have heard that it's not to be relied on and to use AT&T's apps. You could also go on your iphone to Settings, Cellular, Cellular Data Usage, and view Current Period. You can reset this at the bottom by clicking Reset Statistics and confirming. Do this at the beginning of your billing period.

Message 2 of 6
Contributor

Yeah mine isn't 100% accurate either. But it's close and 600MB right off the start is what's killing me!!! Woke up and bam 600mb
Message 3 of 6
Contributor

Ugh, that's awful. 600mb is like a LARGE app. I didn't think my phone would even download apps over 500mb unless over wifi. I know that is like watching an episode of a show on Netflix over 4G. I don't know if AT&T does itemized billing or accounting for internet service. I know that in some regions you may have to pay extra for an itemized bill and must opt-in.

That really is no fun though, sorry that happened. I guess the only way you can be sure is to turn off celluar data when you know you're getting close. Airplane mode if you really want to be safe!!

But yeah, definitely do not use *3282 when coming close to your data limits (65% and up) and subscribe for text messages (are not always on time).

Message 4 of 6
ACE - Master

One thing to consider is that this might be "delayed reporting".  Some data usage is not through the AT&T network, but through another provider's network that has an agreement with AT&T.  Some of these "peer networks" do take several days to report the usage data back to AT&T and that data may get applied to your account in one lump sum.  That data usage may be from 2 or 3 days earlier but just made it back into the AT&T system.

You are making a bold claim.  I highly doubt it is as you believe, but it is more likely one of the many other reasons that data reporting may be delayed.  If you even look at your online detailed data usage, it tells you that usage is not necessarily in real time and may be delayed.  I have never seen AT&T "jack up data usage" on my account that has been active for over 10 years.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6
Scholar

Before I do data intensive activity I check my usage.  After im done i check my usage not much has changed.  I check a few hours later then it jumps up considerably.  So yes it takes time.

Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support