Need help understanding your bill?
MarkJones's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, November 16th, 2016 1:42 PM

ATT Changed My Plan Without My Permission And Now Wants Hundreds Of Data Overages Dollars

First of all, I have been a postpaid AT&T wireless customer for close to 15 years, and a shareholder for even longer.  I fear that both of those tenures are coming to an end.

On September 14 one of our phones broke. Because we had an apple gift card, we went to the Apple Store in the Willow Grove PA mall to buy a new phone, outright. We then walked across the mall to the ATT store (a real store, not an "authorized vendor") where a friendly gentleman (who worked there) installed a new SIM card and activated the phone. I expressly asked the gentleman whether I needed to do anything to preserve the nature or characteristics of the plan it was on. He said no, it would be the same.

Fast forward to November 14, the Monday following my son's 12th birthday, when we got him a new SE, added to my account. On the 14th, I went online to review the status of his plan and to see why I'd been getting notices about the line with the replaced phone and it's data usage. I discovered that that line had $180 in data overage charges and that, contrary to what I was told in the ATT store in  September, ATT had, on September 14, changed the plan from 3GB to 300MB, resulting in overages which would not have occurred had the 3GB plan been in place. Ironically, the new line, activated by apple, got the 3GB plan.

Still on November 14, I immediately called ATT and spoke with Latoya. She understood the situation, it appeared, and agreed to reinstate the 3GB plan and reverse the overage charges. She seemed very helpful and I praised her. The next day, I went back online to confirm and discovered that in fact the plan was not reinstated, and instead of being credited for the $180 in charges, I was credited the random amount of $40. (And yet more such charges were added!!)  I don't know if Latoya lied to me or just changed her mind and decided to screw me.  Doesn't matter, really.

I immediately called and spoke with a young man whose name I don't recall.

What followed was painful and insulting. The young man agreed that I was the victim of a mistake but insisted that he could only help me if I agreed to subscribe to Direct tv. I live in a heavily wooded area where satellite tv is known to be unreliable and therefore have no interest in direct tv. When I told this fellow that, he took the tack that the situation was my own fault for believing what the guy in the store told me, saying "those guys just know phones, they don't know plans". As if that's in my control. Then he hit me with a gotcha. He said when I became an ATT wireless customer 15 years ago, one of the things I signed gave ATT permission to change my service any time it wanted. Wow. There's a reward for loyalty.

I asked him if there was a supervisor or someone to whom I could address an appeal of his position. He said yes, I could talk to his manager, and put me on hold for 10-15 minutes. While on hold, I did an online chat with T-mobile, who offered me three lines with unlimited data (and text and talk) for a monthly price well below what I pay ATT.

When my call recommenced, the young man was back, not a manager. He said that he spoke with his manager and that I was TSOL because the $40 credit which Latoya gave me made me ineligible for any account adjustments for six months!  But, I explained, Latoya's $40 credit was just a continuation of the original mistake. Well, Mr. man said that was just tough luck. Now was I ready to subscribe to Direct tv -- because now I really had no choice -- or just keep paying outrageous and unreasonable fees.

Really, after 15 years and countless thousands of dollars of business, this is how I get treated?  I'm going to give ATT until Thursday, the 17th to sort this out. Then, after work, I'm going to the TMobile store.  Maybe they have a few less cell towers, but I refuse to do business with a company who treats me this way. After 15 years as a post paid cash cow.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

You clearly got bad service from the rep trying to sell you Directv as well as false information. That clause in the wireless agreement about changing your plan means changes to the plan you are on, such as changes in price, not changing you to a different plan. I don't blame you for being upset but don't give up because you got one bad rep. If your bill has not yet cycled since those changes were made, you could make the change yourself online and wipe out those data overage charges. If it is too late for that, I suggest you reach out to @ATTMobilityCare via private message. They are a specialized customer care team that should be able to make things right.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Unfortunately, I can't change it, I guess that means it has "cycled".  Seems I got two bad representatives, and possible a store employee who only "knows phones, not plans".

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

By the way, it sounds like you are still on an old minute plan where each line has it's own data plan. If you did not specifically tell the guy at the store to give the new line 3GB, he may have thought he was doing you a favor or may have thought you wanted the cheaper 300mb plan on it. In other words, your plan was not changed, the new line was added that way.

If you are on an old minute plan, you really should look at the new share plans. I suspect you could reduce your monthly bill significantly on one of the new plans. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

At the time of the change in plan, September 14, there was no new line.  That came two months later.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Ok, the Sept 14 change was just a phone swap. Still, it could have been an honest mistake and not deliberate. When they provision the new sim, it's like setting up a new line and I believe requires they select a data plan. 

Mentor

• 

25 Messages

7 years ago

If they dont' sort it out, I'm guessing they wont or will end us causing more botchups.  Don't stop at switching to T-Mobile, file a complaint with your states' regulatory public works and consumor authority.  Also file a complaint with the FCC.  ATT is then forced to contact you and sort your bill out and refund your costs.  The US general services comission and FTC offer publiations and information on how you should handle issues like this.  Special emphais is placed on MaBell as she is always bilking customers, is fined by FCC yearly and only change the way hide fee and obsucate bills.  If you notice there is always a reminder on you bill that theyre chaning it soon to simplify it. 

The US GPO Consumer Action Handbook is a great resource, including contace informatin for oversight and regulatory bodies as well contact information for corporations themselves.

You can order a free print copy here  https://cah.gpo.gov/cah-form.aspx

Or download a PDF version here.

http://publications.usa.gov/USAFileDnld.php?PubType=P&PubID=5131&httpGetPubID=0

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

I doubt it was deliberate.  The problem is the apparent unwillingness to correct the mistake and instead to feel it's okay to use gotcha's to soak me for a bill created by mistake.
And I have messaged the mobility people, and I'll see if they say anything.  Like I said, I have a plan B if ATT would rather soak me than keep me happy.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

I will second @sandblaster recommendation you contact support, @ATTMobilityCare    

And that you should look at the current plans for any lines not on an unlimited data plan.  The current plan also has zero overage charges. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

If ATT doesn't resolve this, I will certainly submit complaints to the FCC, the Consumer Protection Bureau in PA, and the Public Utilities Commission and I won't pay the disputed charges.  And I will move to TMobile.  Then I will figure out some other way to get a pound of flesh to boot.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

I have to say one thing..  pay the disputed charges unless you want a ding on your credit report.  As att will send it to collections.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.