Need help understanding your bill?
DF1996's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, August 29th, 2016 11:54 AM

AT&T will not honor the BOGO Iphone promotion.

I walked into an AT&T store in March 2016 to buy a new iphone 6s for my daughter and create a new line for my son and transfer my daughter's old iphone 5c to him. The agent said there was a BOGO offer for iphone 6s and said I qualified for it because I was getting a new line. I didnt want my son to have a new iphone 6s as his first phone so I upgraded my old phone to iphone 6s. The agent proceeded to activate iphone 6s #1 for me and then iphone 6s #2 for my daughter and transferred the iphone 5c to my son's new line. The agent then stated that I would have to pay the first 3 months of the AT&T Next charge for the "Free" phone before the credits would start to display. The agent, at no time, stated that the transfer would disqualify me from the BOGO offer as AT&T is now telling me. The specific store even apologized for the mistake, but said that nothing could be done. Why not?? Logically, why would I specifically transfer a phone if I knew that the transfer would disqualify me, this does not make any sense. I had no intention of buying 2 iphones that day. The agent was either incompetent or just a liar, either way AT&T should be held responsible. I am just asking for the proper credits for the "Free" iphone. Thank you.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

Swapping phones should not affect the BOGO offer but what I suspect happened is the Next plan got put on your daughter's line, not the new line. The Next plan must be on the new line to get the credits. This sounds like something they should be able to fix. Send a private message to @ATTMobilityCare, they are a specialized customer care team able to do things the front line CSR's can't. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

AT&T is saying that I am disqualified because 1 of the new iphones must be on the new line for the promotion.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

It does not matter which line uses the free phone but the Next plan for the free phone must be on the new line. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

I currently have the Next 24 plan (30 month) on both of the new iphones, but an old phone was transferred to the new line by the AT&T agent in the AT&T store. He did not tell me that NOT having one of the new phones on the new line would disqualify me from the promotion. Free phone #1 upgrade on existing line, free phone #2 upgrade on existing line, existing phone transferred to new line.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@DF1996 You don't seem to be understanding me. Forget about which phone is on which line, you are allowed to use any phone on any line. The issue is your Next plan for the free phone was put on an existing line, not on the new line. The Next plan for the free phone must be on the new line in order to get the BOGO credit. Please send a private message to @ATTMobilityCare, that sounds like an issue that should be fixable. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@DF1996 That free phone needed to be billed to the new line. 

(I had said attached, I mean the billing for one of the new phones needs to be attached/linked to the new line according to AT&T; thanks for catching that unclear wording sandblaster). 

You're right in that logically it makes no sense that you'd do something to disqualify you on purpose, but it is set up that way and as you said it does disqualify you. 

The guy told you the offer and you messed with it and it looks like he didn't know any better or see the problem (you could have moved the phones later, the billing just needed to be set up the way he told you). They want the commitment tied to a new line so that if you cancel the line later you stop getting the credits.

If nothing else the computer doesn't know what to do with it, the computer looks at your bill:

• New phone on qualifiying Next? yes
  • 2nd phone on qualifiying Next? yes
  • Is one of the new new plans billed to the new line? no... FAIL (this is kind of how the computer would see it)

They don't seem super forgiving on these things. Even some people who did it correctly have had some problems. On the signs and on the web it's pretty clear what needs to be done.

Maybe they can fix you when you write to @ATTMobilityCare 

PLEASE come back and let us know what happens so we can use this info to direct others.  If this is fixable, it'd be nice to know. I'm not sure if I've seen this scenario before.

(I know some of this has been covered already but I wrote all of this for one of the 3 duplicate threads, so I'm pasting it in here!)

This is the AT&T community forum (not AT&T support).

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

That free phone needed to be attached to the new line. 

Just to clarify, the Next plan for the free phone needs to be attached to the new line. It does not matter whether the actual phone is used on that line or not. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

I private messaged AT&T Mobility care and explained my situation to a very helpful representative. She personally kept me updated with the status of my request and after about 10 days, I received the proper credit for my BOGO Iphone.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@DF1996 AWESOME!  Thanks for letting us know...

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I am on the line now - I have the same problem. I have called in Oct, Nov to get it fixed and they tell me I qualify and then it will be off in 2 days but it never is. It is on my december bill and I am done.. I am ready to report this to my state's Attorney General (they investigate fraud) and the BBB. I will pay with a credit card and then dispute the charges. I have been on the phone for MORE THAN 1 HOUR - keep getting transferred. the first agent said I should be reimbursed and sends me to the 2nd agent to do this. They say I should be reimbursed but they need to TRANSFER ME TO CREDIT. They lady in credit says that she cannot help because it is an installment agreement. I have had it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.